|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to consider is all WiFi sessions are two way conversations. You can see how large the park’s antennas are, now compare that to the antenna on your device. Same goes for the transmitter sending out the WiFi signal. The park’s is hard wired and usually set up high to o provide the clearest lines of sight. Yours is likely blocked by the RV walls and furnishing any being powered by a small battery. It is often the case your device can clearly see the WiFi signal but the park,s receiver loses contact.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Let me add one more thing to my Verizon Jet Pack post -- I NEVER use free WiFi ANYWHERE, EVER. Too many dangers. I like playing it safe.

OTOH, I've used free campground WiFi lots of places and have never had an issue.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Let me add one more thing to my Verizon Jet Pack post -- I NEVER use free WiFi ANYWHERE, EVER. Too many dangers. I like playing it safe.

OTOH, I've used free campground WiFi lots of places and have never had an issue.

Remember, you're just one . . . out of how many?? Staying away from any public WiFi has served me well over many years.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

The easiest way with no extra equipment is to use your phone as a wifi hot spot. Check with your phone provider if you don’t know how to do this.

Dave

We were camping in Morro Bay St Pk, wifi not there, used my Galaxy S9+ for hotspot no problem until data was exhausted. I use Verizon for cell service, monthly plan $35 a month, less $5 for autopay. Went over to Los Osos to the Verizon store, explained to the young man at the counter my dilemma( I had looked up plans before we went) told him I wanted to go to the $55 prepaid plan, he hemmed and hawed and then suggested a plan, explained it fully and said if it didn't work come back and change it. Asked how much, an extra $5 a month over my current plan.

Used it constantly for 10 days and never ran out of Data.

Of course our favorite campground has ZERO cell service and typical wifi. There is absolutely no cell plan that will help if there is zero cell signal. Okay satellite will.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Of course our favorite campground has ZERO cell service and typical wifi. There is absolutely no cell plan that will help if there is zero cell signal. Okay satellite will.

Sometimes a cell booster will help. I saw one guy had a 25' flag pole he put his weboost antenna on and got an acceptable signal

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Sometimes a cell booster will help. I saw one guy had a 25' flag pole he put his weboost antenna on and got an acceptable signal

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently stayed a couple nights at KOA in Visalia. Happened to get the site next to the router/antenna. Very good signal and speed. [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Remember, you're just one . . . out of how many?? Staying away from any public WiFi has served me well over many years.
How many people have you personally met, or even heard about, that have had issues directly associated with free campground wifi? Since you've never used campground wifi, you're not really in a position to give any information, other than theoretical, on the security of it. Staying away from skydiving has served me very well over the years, but lots of people do it with no issues. [emoticon]

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

How many people have you personally met, or even heard about, that have had issues directly associated with free campground wifi? Since you've never used campground wifi, you're not really in a position to give any information, other than theoretical, on the security of it. Staying away from skydiving has served me very well over the years, but lots of people do it with no issues. [emoticon]

Look around. Campgrounds are not the only places with public (free) wifi, are they?? Come on now, there's public wifi EVERYWHERE. I speak not only of campgrounds (didn't think I'd need to explain that).

To your question, I know of numerous people that have encountered issues by using public wifi. So, enlighten me -- is the public wifi different in campgrounds than it is, let's say, in a restaurant or in a store or in a hotel? If so, how?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look around. Campgrounds are not the only places with public (free) wifi, are they?? Come on now, there's public wifi EVERYWHERE. I speak not only of campgrounds (didn't think I'd need to explain that).

To your question, I know of numerous people that have encountered issues by using public wifi. So, enlighten me -- is the public wifi different in campgrounds than it is, let's say, in a restaurant or in a store or in a hotel? If so, how?
As a matter of fact, yes, public free wifi in the places you named is different than campgrounds. Someone can sit there plying his trade, and be exposed to many different sources in a pretty short amount of time. It's worth his time and effort to troll these popular places. A campground...not so much. Which is why I specifically stated "free campground wifi". But then I also don't know anyone who's ever had an issue with any free wifi, other than the apocryphal stories on the internet. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.