|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are so many things that can cause WiFi issues. Not only does the number of users affect it, but there are lots of other things that interfere. Microwaves, and cordless phones cause interference. Also any wall, camper etc between your device and the router.

The new mesh networks really help with coverage, but most campgrounds aren’t going to spend the money on that.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ItsyRV

Lost on the Blue Ridge Parkway

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, when looking at an RV park's profiles or when checking in, ask if they have a pay service in addition to the free wi-fi. I'm starting to see park's offering faster and stronger signals through pay services. Sometimes you'll see the service pop up when first signing into the guest wi-fi or it may be listed on their check-in info sheet.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hell, I have WiFi issues at home.. I need a booster just to sit on my porch with the laptop to stream some music... But, if I go back inside like 5 feet, it works fine..

I've got 250mbps download too, but the wifi cuts it in half, compared to my desktop computer, even in the same room as the wifi is in..

So dunno.. I would never connect to 'free' wifi in the first place... Even checking email, you are passing your login info.. Might as well be online banking..

VPN connection.. Just more of a bottleneck, plus is not really any more secure. Just tells the website you are connecting to is you are connecting from a different server (host).

Good luck! Mitch

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The easiest way with no extra equipment is to use your phone as a wifi hot spot. Check with your phone provider if you don’t know how to do this.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a Tmobile or Verizon MiFi for about $50/month. We have one of each and have used them everywhere from Quartzite to Orlando with good signals everywhere.

RVing is to relax and I couldn't relax with no wifi so got this solution and now I'm relaxed and don't have to worry about signal at a campground (most of which are worthless)

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take my Verizon Jet Pack everywhere. That way there's never an issue. It will work in every campground, rest area, even going down the road (in my wife's capable hands, of course). A small price to pay to avoid frustration.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You most always be disappointed with park WiFi. Next to impossible for them to match the demand placed on them by the customers unless they curtail features. Best option is to bring your own internet access.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring your own service or take your chances with Wi-Fi. No matter where you park in the park the service may be good or bad (usually bad). As long as you have a good cell signal on your phone or hotspot (recommend a hot spot) you can do as you please.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:

The problem is there are too many pigs at the trough. Unless a RV park will invest the capital to bring in fiber even if it is available, there just isn't enough bandwidth for everybody surfing the net, checking email and most of all streaming video. I've been in park right next to the wifi and had excellent signal strength with lousy download speed.

This is the hitting nail on the head! The cost to cover a RV park of even as few as 50 sites is costly! Not only the hardware, but the reoccurring monthly cost of getting the bandwidth.

I have seen issues in remote areas with using cellular, too many users can flood the system, and you experience slow speeds.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me add one more thing to my Verizon Jet Pack post -- I NEVER use free WiFi ANYWHERE, EVER. Too many dangers. I like playing it safe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> RV Park Wi-Fi Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.