|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s common knowledge that EV’s produce LESS CO2, right??…Either way, FINALLY a long overdue dose of cogent objectivity has been allowed to enter the discussion [emoticon]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E8SQde5rk

3 tons

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Careful the lef PC Woke police will soon bite you. Good luck tho.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing of particular interest that this well intentioned presenter totally dismissed is the CO2 produced in the manufacture of solar panels and windmills, the latter of which typically requires extensive servicing over what is a relatively short service life…

3 tons

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

It’s common knowledge that EV’s produce LESS CO2, right??…Either way, FINALLY a long overdue dose of cogent objectivity has been allowed to enter the discussion [emoticon]

Link to presentation

3 tons

Excellent presentation. Now I know more.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A GOOD PRESENTATION IMHO. I certainly agree about a Hybrid being the vehicle of choice until they develop a 400 mile range with a 10 minute recharge and still a few gallons of gas if needed.

bumpy

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another overlooked issue is disposal, the batteries in the EV's are much more expensive to dispose of or recycle in both financial as well as environmental cost than the conventional vehicles.

I did like seeing someone actually approach the middle ground concept of the hybrid vehicle, because I believe there is more "Bang for the buck" so to speak in building and using hybrids, especially for those folks with only one vehicle, they can go electric in town and for errands while still having a vehicle CAPABLE of longer range without lengthy charging stops.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Another overlooked issue is disposal, the batteries in the EV's are much more expensive to dispose of or recycle in both financial as well as environmental cost than the conventional vehicles.

I did like seeing someone actually approach the middle ground concept of the hybrid vehicle, because I believe there is more "Bang for the buck" so to speak in building and using hybrids, especially for those folks with only one vehicle, they can go electric in town and for errands while still having a vehicle CAPABLE of longer range without lengthy charging stops.

yes, I agree a mild hybrid is a great middle ground now.

our hybrid basically "battery assist" non plug in rather than full electric mode, gets 26mpg in stop and go driving, 26mpg on the highway, 0-60 in <6 seconds, 14 second /100mph quarter mile. Same vehicle non hybrid version 16mpg in town, 25 highway, 2 seconds slower 0-60, 1 second slower in the 1/4 mile. And the hybrid was only a $1500 premium over the non hybrid. Will pay for itself in gas saving in about 2 years. Definitely the way to go currently IMHO.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it also points to the need to be a bit skeptical of popular narratives, and it suggest just how powerful the impact of tax subsidies (as is commonplace with home mortgages, etc…) and their ability to drive social trends…Maybe these well intended subsidies should be re-evaluated and re-directed towards hybrids?? BTW, F-1 racing already recognizes the advantage of hybrid technology to instantaneously spin-up turbos, etc!

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite misleading.

At about 3 years a Bev becomes carbon neutral compared to an ice. That number used to be 5 years.

The expected life time is a crock when it relies on mileage. I've owned 3 cars since 1992 none of them were new.

There are at least 2 Bev's that have integrated solar panels. For my own particular use pattern, I would essentially never have to plug in unless I were on a trip of over 300 miles.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been saying for years that the analysis on EV's is flawed to support the narrative. CO2 aside, EV's rely on caustic chemicals to manufacture and produce (so do solar panels), are environmentally damaging in harvesting the materials used to make them, and no one has come up with a long term plan for all these batteries at the end of their life which are essentially hazardous waste. Hardly green. And what about modern diesel engines? Diesel fuel is less refined and produces less CO2 than gasoline engines. Diesel also has greater efficiency at producing power. They also last longer than gas engines. Not saying they are the cats meow but why aren't they ever considered in this debate? Is it the cost to produce vs gas engines?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.