|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think hybrids are super useful for some people’s needs. They check a lot of boxes and for many are a way of reducing fuel costs and still allow access to more remote areas with poor charging infrastructure. Having said that I think BEV’s will outsell them probably 2 to 1 or more in the next decade. Many of us just need the advantages that they bring to the more remote traveller. For us our road trips are seldom over about 700 kilometres and in reality are mostly under 500 kilometres so the hybrid advantage is lost to us. Plus most if not all our travels are in areas well served by Superchargers and other DC fast charge infrastructure. And of course like most BEV owners 90 percent of our charging is done at home where it’s super cheap. For us, the advantages of BEV’s outweigh hybrids. But everyone has different needs and wants. Drive what you like and works for you.

I think companies that have a good product line up of both hybrid and BEV’s will do well. Those that are slow to figure out where the market is going will be gone by 2035.

* This post was last edited 11/19/21 02:35pm by Reisender *   View edit history

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 parts vs 20.

Blue hydrogen is not a good solution.

I'm reminded of the two keyboard layouts. Ascii vs Dvorak.

Dvorak is better once there are no mechanical linkages to jamb, but Ascii has dominated the market.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

2000 parts vs 20.

Blue hydrogen is not a good solution.

I'm reminded of the two keyboard layouts. Ascii vs Dvorak.

Dvorak is better once there are no mechanical linkages to jamb, but Ascii has dominated the market.

And I am reminded that many really need to re-read something

ASCII is the character encoding for transmission IE: A=$65

QWERTY is they keyboard.

And as for mechanical linkages. No, they can both be Mechanical or all electronic you can actually make a keyboard with ZERO moving parts but it would be tricky .. Well we call it a touch screen.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my perspective, the video’s subject matter added a degree of objectivity to a popularized narrative that heretofore (minus critical examination) has merely been afforded the presumption of truth…Regarding spurious claims of ‘Net Carbon’ reduction, skepticism seems a scarce attribute …If EV’s TRULY do reduce ‘net carbon’ output (not unlike calls of “WMD”), it would seem that one might welcome a further examination to help make their point…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

And I am reminded that many really need to re-read something

ASCII is the character encoding for transmission IE: A=$65

QWERTY is they keyboard.

And as for mechanical linkages. No, they can both be Mechanical or all electronic you can actually make a keyboard with ZERO moving parts but it would be tricky .. Well we call it a touch screen.

wa8yxm,

Thanks for correcting my memory.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can get past all the environmental and political junk..... EVs are fun to drive.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A thoughtful presentation. But like all others that focus on the energy required to make EV batteries, none mention the energy (and thus pollutants) required to produce gasoline or diesel fuels for ICE vehicles. It requires energy to extract oil from the earth. It requires energy to transport that oil to refineries by truck or rail (both burning more fuel producing more co2) or by pipeline by using energy to power pumps. Refineries use huge amounts of power refining the crude into gasoline and diesel. And those refineries are burning natural gas or oil (producing pollutants) to produce steam and electricity for the refining processes. And then fuel is burned by trucks to transport that gasoline and diesel to fueling stations. But no one ever adds the co2 and other pollutants produced in those processes to the total numbers actually produced by the ICE vehicles themselves. A not insignificant amount.
There is an old saying that statistics don’t lie. But it is common knowledge that those statistics can be cherry picked and twisted to agree with that person’s agenda.
I have no dog in this fight. But never consider any one person’s presentation, no matter how eloquently presented, as absolute fact. Look at all sides and make your own decisions.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smoke and Mirrors

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm's correction made me look further.

Apparently the story about it being to slow down the typists, is nothing more than a myth.

You are a good man wa8yxm.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/qwerty-keyboard_n_3223611

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If you can get past all the environmental and political junk..... EVs are fun to drive.

Admittedly, I’ve never driven one (but would love to!), but after once having gotten the opportunity to drive a diesel / traction motor locomotive (a switch engine, with over 1.25 million pounds in tow!!), the traction motor torque was incredible (and no transmission!).

I believe EV’s must be truly outstanding to drive, and that ultimately EV’s should stand alone on their own unfettered and fact-based merits…It’s in this light that I restrict my own criticisms to taxpayer funded subsidies (i.e. narrative-based wealth redistribution schemes), and ‘assertions’ surrounding a ‘net’ reduction in carbon…JMHO

3 tons

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.