RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator to run three RV's?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator to run three RV's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
TFin04

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family is considering buying some property to use as a place to bring our RV's and do some ATV riding on local trails. The properties we are finding do not have power. Some have power at the road and some do not.

This got me thinking into the logistics of buying a large generator to leave at the property. The likely RV's that would be there are two 50amp 5th wheels and one 30amp travel trailer. We would visit in the summer and need to run our air conditioning units.

I am not well versed in electrical power. What kind of output would I need to run three campers, and does anyone have experience with something like that? Maybe a tow-able diesel generator we could leave there? Or some other system entirely? Just spitballing ideas here, any input is welcome.

Thanks!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Equip all three rv's with hybrid load support inverter/chargers.

Acquire a 6000 watt inverter generator.

I would pick a champion.

Alternately get two Predator 3500 watt generators. They can be combined together to provide power to the RV's.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TFin04

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I would pick a champion.

Alternately get two Predator 3500 watt generators. They can be combined together to provide power to the RV's.

6000w is enough to power all three? Interesting, I was thinking it would take more than that.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TFin04 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I would pick a champion.

6000w is enough to power all three? Interesting, I was thinking it would take more than that.

6Kw across 3 RVs (two which have 50A capability) is not going to cut it in the middle of summer with A/Cs running full tilt.

Would need closer to 9Kw minimum to be able to support all three with only one A/C running per RV.

Rather than attempting to pool power from one super large gen you will be better off with each RV bringing and using their own gen.

The larger gen you are running, the more fuel you will use under light loads. Larger gens are much more louder than the smaller compact inverter style gens. Not to mention everyone will be depending on one single gen, when it runs out of fuel, shuts down or fails the entire group is affected.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was working on the premise that there were 3 air conditioners, and that start up surge would come from the battery bank(s). If there are more--then yes a third Predator would be needed.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you buy property be sure to check the local codes to see if you can have one or more RV's on the property.

As for the generators I would have one for each RV.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TFin,

After you get through getting to understand the local codes. (Be sure to state that this will all be a temporary arrangement.) You could talk to the power company be it Consumers, ITC or whoever, it may be feasible to run power to a pole on the property.

Just watch out then, because if you put in a drain field and drill a well, they may get touchy....

Once you get away from the south-east corner of the state, things change a lot.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the area is at all remote, I doubt the Generator would be there long before it developed legs and wandered off the property.
I tend to agree with a generator for each unit, could be sized for each power requirement.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 amp service equals 12,000 watts (2 legs of 50 amp = 100 amps @ 120V) x 2 vehicles equals 24,000 watts. Add in the 30 amp coach at 3600 watts and you need 27,600 watts to properly service all 3 RV's. You would need a substantial generator to supply the power to all 3 and that would be done by feeding the service from this 30,000+ watt generator to a sub-panel from which you could run 3 proper circuits to 3 independent plugs that the RV's could plug into.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree 6 kw is too small for 3 AC units running, particularly since 50A units tend to have 2 AC units in them. I would estimate somewhere around 10 kW would do it. You can probably rent a tow-able diesel unit that would serve the purpose well. They have some that are incredibly quiet for their size.
I believe you would also save fuel; 1 generator running under varying load is likely far more fuel efficient than 3 or more generators running.

I disagree that you would need a 30 kW generator as there is no way your going to have all 3 RVs pulling the maximum their service will allow all at the same time. Most RV parks couldn't even support this type of scenario.
However, likely, when you start looking at rental diesel generators they will be in the 20 kW to 30 kW size range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator to run three RV's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.