RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator to run three RV's?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator to run three RV's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having done lots of power measurements during outages at my house, I found I could run all the important circuits from a 2800 watt kipor generator.

We tend to think of maximum loads--but really I could do fridge, freezer, furnace, most of the lights, router (for wobbly wide web) computers, laptop, garage door openner and block heater for the car. I used a manual transfer switch with six circuits. the Kipor did not overload even once.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 amp unit is 12kw.
30 amp unit is 3.6kw.

So two 50 amp units plus one 30 amp unit is 27.6kw. Divide that by 0.8 to get the power needed to allow the generator to run at 80% capacity for longevity and you get 34.5kw. Note that this is maximum. You probably can get by with significantly less.

A single 34.5kw generator will probably be more expensive that having 3 smaller generators, one for each RV. Also, having the 3 smaller generators means you are not totally without power to all 3 RVs if the generator conks out.

My vote is a smaller generator for each RV.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A separate genny for each also makes sense so that independent trips could also be taken and the genny's would then be portable for that purpose.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

50 amp unit is 12kw.
30 amp unit is 3.6kw.

So two 50 amp units plus one 30 amp unit is 27.6kw. Divide that by 0.8 to get the power needed to allow the generator to run at 80% capacity for longevity and you get 34.5kw. Note that this is maximum. You probably can get by with significantly less.

A single 34.5kw generator will probably be more expensive that having 3 smaller generators, one for each RV. Also, having the 3 smaller generators means you are not totally without power to all 3 RVs if the generator conks out.

My vote is a smaller generator for each RV.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^
Although it is unlikely you would ever need the full power unless all were high end units needing lots of power, you would need that full number to match two 50 amp and one 30 amp hookup.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BYOG

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish i could find the pictures, but a few years ago some folks here rented a large industrial generator and hooked up their RVs to it for a week-end get together. I don't know if they determined the actual cause, but the resulting fire completely destroyed 4 or 5 RVs.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the ATV riding days we camped with 5-8 other toy haulers, rather than having 5-8 gensets roaring we rented one large towable generator that you you barely hear running. Worked out quite well and we didn't all burst into flames.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

If the area is at all remote, I doubt the Generator would be there long before it developed legs and wandered off the property.

Yep - If you own it, you probably want something that can be towed to safe storage.

If you rent it, it gets returned when you're done using it.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

50 amp service equals 12,000 watts (2 legs of 50 amp = 100 amps @ 120V) x 2 vehicles equals 24,000 watts. Add in the 30 amp coach at 3600 watts and you need 27,600 watts to properly service all 3 RV's. You would need a substantial generator to supply the power to all 3 and that would be done by feeding the service from this 30,000+ watt generator to a sub-panel from which you could run 3 proper circuits to 3 independent plugs that the RV's could plug into.

If you want to run all 3 rigs at max output, you need a giant generator.

Assuming you are willing to be more modest, you can cut that back quite a bit.

An aircon unit will typically pull around 1500w continuous, so 5 units would be about 7500w. You need some additional overhead for other misc. loads and to cover startup loads, so maybe call it 10-12kw...no where close to 30kw.

Of course, if this is northern Michigan, you can probably get away with the 50amp rigs using a single air/con unit (living area during the day/bedroom at night), this would cut your demand back to 4500w rounded up to maybe 6-7kw.

We know some folks who do 3 30amp rigs on a 7kw generator. Seems to work fine.

PS: I would check on pulling power from the grid if you can get it but even up north don't be surprised if they don't want to provide it without you pulling a residential or business permit to build something.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This 14kw on propane should meet your needs. Put a 100 or 250 gallon propane tank out there and have the proper delivered as needed. No need to hassle with supplying gas. Make sure you have the proper tank regulator because it will demand a lot of flow.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator to run three RV's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.