RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Solar Rv awning -- does it pencil out?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Rv awning -- does it pencil out?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to Solar vs Honda financial breakeven analysis that will help determine which source of power is cost effective. This analysis indicates for the Honda 2000, it will take about 5.5 year breakeven, or around 1954 days of usage.

[image]

https://www.nroa2003.com/download/Miscellaneous/Cost_of_Solar_vs_Honda.xls

Of course the breakeven analysis for carbon emissions is a different story all together. At what point does the accumulated emissions from the generator's manufacture and operation match that of the solar panel emissions? If we take a page from the BEV's breakeven analysis, then it probably is several years away for heavy RV users and probably never for the occasional weekender.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$10 per watt=ridiculously expensive.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“You get charging-while-driving from the engine in the tow vehicle or motorhome anyway…”

Not that much goes through that tiny little wire, Ski.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo solar is under $1 per watt installed.

Where are you buying fuel at those prices today?

You have not factored in maintenance. My Yamaha wants oil every 50 hours. If I relied on it totally and ran 24/7 that's every two days, two hours.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

With batteries and AC inverter?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

You have not factored in maintenance. My Yamaha wants oil every 50 hours. If I relied on it totally and ran 24/7 that's every two days, two hours.

Not in Canada but in a lot of the USA, it's still a reasonable long term assumption.

Odd, my Yamaha calls for oil change every 100hr.

If you just need to charge the batteries, solar is a good option. Generator's make sense when you need high load, longer duration output.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Timmo!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I am not the author of that excel spreadsheet, but the variables can be changed easily. Just saying this analysis indicates the financial breakeven is years for heavy users...probably never for weekenders. If my conclusion is wrong, then please correct me with your facts.

My Honda 2000 cost me about $750 a decade or so and is running strong (equivalent cost of $0.375 per watt (2000w) and $0.469 (1600w)...about 2-3 times lessor than your $1/watt system). In my world, it takes me less than 2 hours each morning to fully charge a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries. We use our TT about 60-70 days each year.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

$10 per watt is on the high side. Pass.

ya the very very high side, its only about 0.60/watt up here and probably cheeped down there.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Here is a link to Solar vs Honda financial breakeven analysis that will help determine which source of power is cost effective. This analysis indicates for the Honda 2000, it will take about 5.5 year breakeven, or around 1954 days of usage.

[image]

https://www.nroa2003.com/download/Miscellaneous/Cost_of_Solar_vs_Honda.xls

Of course the breakeven analysis for carbon emissions is a different story all together. At what point does the accumulated emissions from the generator's manufacture and operation match that of the solar panel emissions? If we take a page from the BEV's breakeven analysis, then it probably is several years away for heavy RV users and probably never for the occasional weekender.

thats kinda of a outdated table, must be from the 90's. I did a complet 325 watt system for 600 cdn, probably would have been about 3-400 down there if that. also you would never be able to charge your batteries enough to totaly recover from a 60AH draw in any offical campground up here as you limited to to hours of generator use in the morning and 1 to 2 at night in most places. some will give you and extra hour here to there, some say no generators period, and more are going that way.

the other thing they have in that graph is the unrealistic charge rate from the generators, if you have a 45 amp converter in your rv, all your getting is 45 amps and that is if everything else is turned off and dependent on the stat of charge of the battery. if a flooded battery is down 60 amps its you can assume probably 4 to 8 hours of charge to get to 100% depending on the equalization phase and how much actualy amprage your 45amp converter is actualy sending to the generator.

* This post was edited 11/22/21 09:28am by StirCrazy *

Timmo!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well bless your heart StirCrazy...

325 watts @ 12 volts = 27 amps. (The worksheet calculates 300 watts = 25 amps)

My Honda generator produces 133 amps (this has not changed).

Yes the table may be a decade old, but that does not change the accuracy of the breakeven results...5.4 years if the generator is used 1954 days.

How many years do you calculate as your breakeven number?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Rv awning -- does it pencil out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.