RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do I need my WD bars just to move in the driveway?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do I need my WD bars just to move in the driveway?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention, yes, the OP is perfectly safe to move a trailer in their driveway and yard without hooking up WD.

For anyone that feels WD is the fix to prevent sway, I highly recommend that they view this youtube demonstration on proper and improper trailer loading.

HERE

In the demonstration video they show how a trailer acts with much of the weight forward and then move the weight to behind the trailer wheels.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

A properly setup WDH will prevent sway by returning steering control to the steering axle.

Wrong.

Front engine vehicles are heavily weight "BIASed" on the FRONT AXLES (front heavy), pickup trucks are much heavier BIASED on the front axle, 4x4 are heavier and diesel 4x4 even heavier.

Not unusual for a 4x4 gas engine truck to be 1,500 lbs heavier or more on the front axle than rear axle. Typically a unloaded truck can have 60%-70% of it's empty weight on the front axle!

Losing a couple of pounds from the front axle does nothing to induce sway and "restoring" that lost weight through WD will not help prevent sway or stop sway from happening.

SUVs tend to have less front axle weight but they often have more weight limitations on axles and available cargo weight

Terryallan wrote:

A trailer with a properly adjusted WDH will not sway.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong assumption.

Correctly adjusted WD with integrated sway control does nothing to help if your TRAILER load is incorrect.

I think you have this backwards.

You should have stated that a correctly and properly loaded TRAILER will tend to not sway and adding WD with sway control can HELP to a certain extent to reduce chances of sway.

Terryallan wrote:

With out the WDH the steering on the truck is too free, and will induce sway.

Wrong.

obviously you have never driven a pickup truck with a heavy load like a TC or a couple of tons (4,000 lbs) of gravel in the bed.. I have, the truck steers fine with such loads, obviously the steering does not need as much "boost" from the power steering but that condition isn't what causes sway. If a pickup that can handle say 2,000 lbs in the bed can't handle a measly 800 lbs of tongue weight then there is something seriously wrong with your truck or your truck selection.

Terryallan wrote:

Just as loading the truck with sand or gravel all behind the rear axle makes it hard to control the truck. the tongue weight does the same thing.

Wrong.

Read my opening comment several times and perhaps you will see where your assumption is wrong.

The further back the weigh goes behind the rear axle the more of a cantilever you have. 400 lbs on the hitch could be considered same or similar as 800 lbs of gravel or sand in the box if placed over the axle.

Terryallan wrote:

And having the 5th wheel on a 18 wheeler slide too far back will also cause the tractor to move around.
Truth. You don't have to believe me. But experience towing all those vehicles tells me different.

Wrong.

5th wheels for RVs by their nature typically have 20%-25% of the trailer weight on the pin, moving the pin back isn't going to make much if any difference in sway.

Semi tractors 5th wheels are a different beast, can have even higher pin weights and the tractor has a fairly short wheel base but once again, you totally ignore that the front of that tractor has the bulk of the weight of the engine and transmission and cab sitting on top of the front axle.. You would have to cantilever the 5th wheel hitch way past the frame of the tractor to "lose steering control".

Terryallan wrote:

Just hook up with a 800lb tongue weight, and go down the road, and see how well the truck drives. Then hook up the WDH. See if you can tell any difference. The WDh makes all the difference.

Wrong.

Reread my opening comment above several more times.

By the way, quite a few yrs ago the big three all dropped the 100% weight restoration recommendation, now they recommend 50%..

Don't get me wrong, under SOME certain combinations WD will be needed to prevent overload of the rear axles but telling people that having a properly adjusted WD will prevent sway is totally wrong and misleading people into a false sense of security which can result in a tragic ending.

Only a properly loaded trailer can be stable, that is why the general recommendation is 10%-15% TW for bumper pull.. 10% as an absolute minimum and for the best stability 15% or even a bit higher if your hitch can handle it.

The key is making sure you have as close to 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue as you can, then if you don't feel that is enough, then add in a "properly adjusted" WD..

But do not ever solely depend on WD to save your bacon, if you do good chance it will be swamped at the worst possible time and your bacon gets burned.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on most every thing you said. Unloading the front axle WILL induce sway. No question. That is what the WDH fixes. I do agree about the tongue weight.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on most every thing you said. Unloading the front axle WILL induce sway. No question. That is what the WDH fixes. I do agree about the tongue weight.

I have decided that Terryallan is a troll. No one can be that wrong that consistently in the face of people who actually know the subject. He is doing this intentionally. We should just ignore him. All future responses to him on this topic should just be "Troll Alert."

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn’t this horse dead yet?

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Timmo!

Far away from this WOKE website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dissecting minutia is a barrel of fun...for some; boring for others.

bcbouy

100 mile house

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i'm enjoying this.simple question,yes/no.now it's a big debate.flex those brains boys.

2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d like to hope that he’s just trolling, but sadly, if one is at all observant, it is easy to see that a good portion of the wdh/sway bars sales and promotions are due to these same weird theories that people who don’t know blinker fluid from muffler bearings are so adamant about.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Dissecting minutia is a barrel of fun...for some; boring for others.

Like most rv trailer forums folks get stuck on just their reason their trailer had sway issues. Some even think there is just one reason a bumper pull trailer will sway.

Then we have the type that never had a sway issue.

And of course we have the forum know it alls who bash others who have had sway issues and found their way to eliminate it.

Towing trailers full time will show several reasons bumper pull trailer can have sway issues regardless of the size of the tow vehicle.

The idea is too eliminate sway...regardless of the "reasons".

TerryAllen a troll 'cause....??..... really ??
Some times the troll can be found in a mirror.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a troll, just somewhat uninformed and misguided in his theories.

bcbouy

100 mile house

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some of you really need to go back and re read the op's original question before pontificating.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Do I need my WD bars just to move in the driveway?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.