RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing With Water Pump Switched On. Burn Up Pump??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing With Water Pump Switched On. Burn Up Pump??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the same experience as Mitch. Accidentally left the pump switch on and found it running at the next stop. Same thing, open a tap, run it a bit, shut off and the pump stops.

But here's one - a totally fluke occurrence:
I left a CG once with a full fresh water tank, and thankfully, empty waste tanks.
Hours later, I stopped and went into the TT, and the pump was running. A check revealed that the grey tank was full, the fresh tank was empty! Huh??
A further search revealed that the bathtub faucet was open, turned on, and there was a bottle of shampoo in the bottom of the tub.

Well, I had forgotten to turn the pump off as I usually try to remember to do. I forgot to take the shampoo off the little shelf above the tub faucet. In transit, it fell off and hit the tap on just the exact place needed to turn it on!
Consequently, on comes the pump and it drained my fresh tank into the grey tank. The grey was full, but it ran out of water before it could overflow.

What are the chances of that happening? Very remote, but it happened.

My opinion is that it is always best to travel with the pump off. You never know what could happen.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

How about adding an accessable switch?

Normally OK to leave it on but there are several reasons why the pump could run dry, probably not the best scenario. And if it does the pump may well draw more amps than the TV charge line can supply which is also not desirable.
That's what I did on our toyhauler. The wall blocked the pump switch when the toys were loaded, so I just added an easy to reach rocker switch, wired in with the original.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

How about adding an accessable switch?

Normally OK to leave it on but there are several reasons why the pump could run dry, probably not the best scenario. And if it does the pump may well draw more amps than the TV charge line can supply which is also not desirable.

This is probably a better option.

Normally, it won't be an issue but if you have a faucet jiggle on or develop a leak, it will start pumping water. Particularly for a leak, this could dump 30-40gal onto the floor.

In theory, the pump can run dry but after hours, it's a lot of stress on the rubber diaphragm, so it may wind up with a short life if it winds up running dry for a long time.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just carry a gallon jug of water to fill the toilet bowl and leave the pump off to avoid mishaps. I actually just leave pressure in my lines and I can flush a few times before needing to turn the pump on also.

2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we have all at least heard about somebody leave their RV hooked up to city water while they did a day trip, returned to find wet floors, traced to leak in water system. Now I understand the pump is less likely to force a leak, but you got to admit that traveling our highways increases the chance.
I can't stand under the idea there would not be a pump switch in bathroom. Ideally the pump would be controlled by 3 way switch. Just a rocker/toggle switch would work, but might be PIA to make sure both are off. For the OP, a momentary contact switch to hold while you want water to run.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I’d never travel with the water pump switch on. Move the switch.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my previous 5er I accidentally left the water pump running dry after I did something, I don't remember what. I went back to it a day and a half later and the pump was still running dry. I was sure I must have ruined it so I ordered a new Shurflo to replace the one I tried to ruin.

I am still using that original Shurflo for doing my water transfers from my 60 gal baffle to my trailer. I could replace the rubber parts, but now I kind of want to see if that thing will ever go bad.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a TT in 1996. Son of the dealer said turn off the pump when towing but his reason was coming back from hurting in the mountains something left on the counter slide and turned the pump on and burned the pump after the water was gone or if it had water in the tank. Can't remember but weird stuff happens. Off for us.

chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, it is your choice and now you have heard all the horror stories about doing so. We have left our pump on here or there over several decades of RVing, most times not intentionally, but never had any extreme issue doing so. We primarily use our water pump even with water hookups available, still waiting for our first fresh water pump to fail.

Shurflo sure makes a noisy water pump but they are very rugged and thus far 100% reliable across 6 rigs for us. There has been a few times where they were running for a couple of days without water in the tank before we noticed, we carry an extra shurflo pump but have not had the need even with the extreme use we put them through.

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't leave it on. After waking up one night to a wet floor (toilet shut off valve failed), I am wary of potential flooding. In fact, I try to remember to turn off city water to the trailer if I'm going to be away for longer periods of time.

Come to think of it, on my last camping trip the couple behind us were bailing water out of their kitchen right after they set up camp. I never asked. It could have been a leaky cooler chest.

There are lots of risks associated with camping. This is one that's just too easy to avoid.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing With Water Pump Switched On. Burn Up Pump??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.