RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Converting Honda generator to propane

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Converting Honda generator to propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dave54

Northeast CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/21/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone do it?
Pros and cons?

* This post was edited 11/21/21 02:22pm by dave54 *


=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the conversion kits require some type of bulky external regulator. You need to decide where you are going to mount this.

Also decided how you are going to connect into your existing propane line.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, I didn't, but just watched this the other day. He makes it look easy.
https://youtu.be/rAqX26a5Ukc


2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights

cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/21/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes just did this on a Honda 2200 w Hutch Mountains kit. I run off a propane tank so mounting and the bulky regulator is not an issue. You must have access to the regulator to prime the genny before starting.

It works well and I can do direct to my natural gas supply at home to keep the freezer running in event of a power outage.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Yes just did this on a Honda 2200 w Hutch Mountains kit. I run off a propane tank so mounting and the bulky regulator is not an issue. You must have access to the regulator to prime the genny before starting.

It works well and I can do direct to my natural gas supply at home to keep the freezer running in event of a power outage.


hutch mountain kit is first class, easy to do, I have my 2000 and 2200 converted for gas, propane, or NG. Works great, many options on where the regulator goes.

don't really need access to the regulator to start. just need to push the button on it a couple of times, then walk over and start the generator.

My system is set up to run both generators off one propane tank or the NG quick connect for the BBQ in case we loose power at home.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


Skibane

San Antonio, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

It works well and I can do direct to my natural gas supply at home to keep the freezer running in event of a power outage.


Yes, assuming you have a conversion kit that also accommodates natural gas.

US Carburetion's "Motor Snorkel" kits include a fuel mixture block that only requires a few turns of the mixture screw to change from propane to NG or back again - no need to change jets or orifices.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cons propane is more expensive than gasoline.

generator is some what thirsty for propane

output wattage is some what lowered.

pros

no worries about varnish build up in carburetor

oil changes less frequently

spark plugs last a lot longer.

I'd get a trifuel one--so that natural gas could be used.

Just have fun!


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

It works well and I can do direct to my natural gas supply at home to keep the freezer running in event of a power outage.


Yes, assuming you have a conversion kit that also accommodates natural gas.

US Carburetion's "Motor Snorkel" kits include a fuel mixture block that only requires a few turns of the mixture screw to change from propane to NG or back again - no need to change jets or orifices.


hutch mountain has a tri fuel option. It does use a different orifice for NG vs. propane, about a 30 second changeover.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

cons propane is more expensive than gasoline.

generator is some what thirsty for propane

output wattage is some what lowered.

pros

no worries about varnish build up in carburetor

oil changes less frequently

spark plugs last a lot longer.

I'd get a trifuel one--so that natural gas could be used.

Just have fun!


good list. we just use ours on gasoline when camping, the propane/ng option is for use if we loose power at home. No need to stock up for a supply of gasoline and/or a external tank in an emergency that way, just hook up to the NG quick connect for the BBQ.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

hutch mountain has a tri fuel option. It does use a different orifice for NG vs. propane, about a 30 second changeover.


That's not a bad approach either, because you're instantly "dialed in" to the proper fuel mixture as soon as you change orifices.

With the Motor Snorkel kit, you have to remember how many turns to twist the fuel mixture screw for each fuel. (After I got the settings for both fuels just right, I wrote those numbers on a sticker on the generator to help me remember).

pianotuna wrote:

cons propane is more expensive than gasoline.

generator is some what thirsty for propane

output wattage is some what lowered.

pros

no worries about varnish build up in carburetor

oil changes less frequently

spark plugs last a lot longer.


Also, the engine exhaust is quite a bit cleaner on propane or NG - Less objectionable odors, and less carbon monoxide produced.

One major advantage of propane is that a 20 pound tank of it usually runs the generator considerably longer than a full tank of gasoline in the generator would - and if you're using an automatic changeover between a pair of propane tanks, the difference in run-time is even greater.

Of course, if you're hooked up to a residential natural gas supply, your generator run-time is unlimited.

* This post was edited 11/21/21 09:19pm by Skibane *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Converting Honda generator to propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.