RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Recall of 19/20 Ram Cummins 6.7 diesels

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Recall of 19/20 Ram Cummins 6.7 diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's probably the motivation for the change.

Link

I will say that cummins implementation of the CP4.2 asymmetrical pump was a disaster and not sure why this was required, but may have something to do with the fuel pulses/load on the pump with the 6 cylinder firing order setup. Anyways it just shows any manufacturer can implement a change that wasn't tested thoroughly and it backfired on them.


So Ford doesn’t have any loos of power issues with the CP4.2??


I didn't say that. I'm sure there has been and lawsuits that followed.

There is a member here that I while back stated that cummins doesn't make changes by implementing new technology fast and lets the other brands be the guinea pig before switching over and now we know cummins implementation of the CP4.2 has been terrible which discredits his statement.

* This post was edited 11/21/21 08:51pm by FishOnOne *


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Dumb choice to ever switch to the CP4 but at least they're trying to make it right. It's baffling to me that Ford hasn't gone to something else yet.


x2. I've read of several new Fords with HPFP failure so as much as the situation appears to be better, it's still there.


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/21/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's probably the motivation for the change.

Link

I will say that cummins implementation of the CP4.2 asymmetrical pump was a disaster and not sure why this was required, but may have something to do with the fuel pulses/load on the pump with the 6 cylinder firing order setup. Anyways it just shows any manufacturer can implement a change that wasn't tested thoroughly and it backfired on them.


So Ford doesn’t have any loos of power issues with the CP4.2??


I didn't say that. I'm sure there has been and lawsuits that followed.

There is a member here that I while back stated that cummins doesn't make changes by implementing new technology fast and lets the other brands be the guinea pig before switching over and now we know cummins implementation of the CP4.2 has been terrible which discredits his statement.


LOL, they still have a much better track record than the blue oval with overall diesel reliability. The 6.0L, 6.4L, and now who knows how many versions of the 6.7L now speak volumes. [emoticon]

Ford builds a beautiful truck but their track record on diesels since the 7.3L has been pretty sketchy. I don't miss cleaning up dripped oil on my garage floor and being nervous about taking road trips one bit since making the switch to Ram/Cummins!

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/22/21 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

...Don't know anyone who has the LP5 but I heard they were having injector problems.


I have driven multiple LP5s, and my daughter owns one with more than 20k miles. We have not had any injector problems.

Amazing how we want to spread information on the other brands.

And by the way, if you see my 23 year old daughter filling her 3500 Denali, don't tell her that her dad has a nice truck. Her hard-work nursing and farming allows her to own that truck.


Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/08/2008

View Profile



Posted: 11/22/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

It seems like Ram wants to rid themselves of the Bosch 4.2 injection pump!

Recall notice

I bet it'll take years for ram to replace them.

Flan

NE

Full Member

Joined: 10/08/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/22/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It starts in January. Ram stepped up before the NHsTA got involved, with a service solution in the works. Before it was announced the nhsta got involved and here we are. How ford is not also involved is beyond me. They lose CP4’s like a wimpy kid loses his lunch money.


Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Lwiddis

Owens River area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/22/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What a shame that a long respected company like Bosch turns into a company like this"

Agreed.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/22/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

...Don't know anyone who has the LP5 but I heard they were having injector problems.


I have driven multiple LP5s, and my daughter owns one with more than 20k miles. We have not had any injector problems.

Amazing how we want to spread information on the other brands.

And by the way, if you see my 23 year old daughter filling her 3500 Denali, don't tell her that her dad has a nice truck. Her hard-work nursing and farming allows her to own that truck.


I've read on FTE a few people who traded their GM on a Ford truck (hence the reason for being on FTE) due to injector issues. It could be fixed by now but not sure.

Here's some more information

Link

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/22/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's probably the motivation for the change.

Link

I will say that cummins implementation of the CP4.2 asymmetrical pump was a disaster and not sure why this was required, but may have something to do with the fuel pulses/load on the pump with the 6 cylinder firing order setup. Anyways it just shows any manufacturer can implement a change that wasn't tested thoroughly and it backfired on them.


So Ford doesn’t have any loos of power issues with the CP4.2??


I didn't say that. I'm sure there has been and lawsuits that followed.

There is a member here that I while back stated that cummins doesn't make changes by implementing new technology fast and lets the other brands be the guinea pig before switching over and now we know cummins implementation of the CP4.2 has been terrible which discredits his statement.


LOL, they still have a much better track record than the blue oval with overall diesel reliability. The 6.0L, 6.4L, and now who knows how many versions of the 6.7L now speak volumes. [emoticon]

Ford builds a beautiful truck but their track record on diesels since the 7.3L has been pretty sketchy. I don't miss cleaning up dripped oil on my garage floor and being nervous about taking road trips one bit since making the switch to Ram/Cummins!


When your truck reaches 225k miles let's talk. My truck currently has 228k miles and the engine hasn't been touched including water pumps.

I believe the 6.7 cummins is now at a Gen 3 including those hydraulic lifters that don't like 15W40 oil. [emoticon]

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/22/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought it was odd that Ram went to that pump, after having resisted it for years. I'm quite happy with my 2015 DEF Ram. Hope that GM has success with their Denso and the Big 3 are able to find a quality replacement.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Recall of 19/20 Ram Cummins 6.7 diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.