|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Renting My Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys so im wondering , do any of you rent out your TC? Ive been living full time in my camper for the last 7 months or so, its been really fun but im looking into other options as far as off grid living, tiny homes, cabins and some land upstate ect....

So with that, i decided id like to rent my camper out to people who want to experience this lifestyle for themselves. There a few different online platforms i can use, but im a bit concerned about people driving it around. Its really difficult to drive and it takes some getting used to.

Do you think there would be a market for people who want to rent a camper like this at a specified location and not necessarily move it ? For example, client wants to go camping, they book themselves a campsite for the week, i transport the camper to the campsite for them to use, they dont drive anywhere, they use it , when they're done i pick it up. Maybe they want to see how it feels to live in sucha vehicle, maybe they want something different and unique. Or is it unrealistic to expect that someone who rents a vehicle on wheels is not going to want to use the wheels ? lol

As far as liablity and insurance goes, there is a lot to consider. What do you guys think?

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCs and most RVs in general aren’t very durable. All I’d say is make sure you get enough money to cover the damage.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in California, there are some state parks which allow rental companies to deliver RV's of various types to a reserved site for renters to occupy for a set amount of time.

Here is a link to a company found at random via Google and therefore not recommended by me, but the website gives you the general idea -
https://rvplusyou.com/

I'm guessing that if you want to your renters to not drive the truck you should not give them the keys to the engine. :-)

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Here in California, there are some state parks which allow rental companies to deliver RV's of various types to a reserved site for renters to occupy for a set amount of time.

Here is a link to a company found at random via Google and therefore not recommended by me, but the website gives you the general idea -
https://rvplusyou.com/

I'm guessing that if you want to your renters to not drive the truck you should not give them the keys to the engine. :-)

haha yeah that was the plan, its cool that Cali allows it. I think i can still cater to some people who wont mind not being able to take the truck on the road.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon has a number of parks that are supplied by third party RV rentals. They haul in a trailer and set it up and then haul it away and clean it up for the next rental. I have friends that have rented like this in OR and NV because they used their tow vehicle to bring off road toys and didn't have a truck camper.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Oregon has a number of parks that are supplied by third party RV rentals. They haul in a trailer and set it up and then haul it away and clean it up for the next rental. I have friends that have rented like this in OR and NV because they used their tow vehicle to bring off road toys and didn't have a truck camper.

very cool , well there is some hope then.

But im having a bit of an issue , all the good NYS parks that have campgrounds are closed for the season , most of them close from November-April , my plan was to use the state parks as the rental locations. There are some other county run campgrounds but i need to check if theyre open

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't do it if your camper is anything nice. I would hate to clean up after others and then show up everytime they can't get something right or pulling tools at midnight to fix something wrong after driving for a long time. Additionally, I just don't want my camper feeling like it's been a public restroom.JMHO

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you bought a cheap one just for rental purposes...I wouldn't do it if you have any care for the unit.

That said:
- What is wrong that it is difficult to drive? No you can't treat it like a sports car but shouldn't be anything too difficult.
- I think the market would be far better for a small to medium size trailer. Other than the stray person who simply wants to see what staying in a truck camper is like, most will be happier spending the weekend in a travel trailer. I think the market is too small to make it a viable business.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, it's just a bad idea.

I can only assume if you're renting your TC you're also renting your truck, correct?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are very many insurance companies that would embrace that idea . . . but again, I could be all wrong. Certainly researching insurance possibilities needs to be your first step in the process.

Then, if you do follow-through with the idea, as others have stated, be ready for damage to both the truck and the TC, both seen and unseen. Nobody treats a rented vehicle like they treat their own.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....this is a twist on the truck camper rental theme. We will be renting our pop-up truck camper in situ parked on our property campsite. Hooked up to gray water, cassette toilet. Beautiful setting in our forest. Super quiet. Our clientele: big city bicycle road amateur racers, training on our mountain during summer (to mostly 40 years old + professionals, with $3k to $8k custom bicycles). Our weekend rental prices in our resort town district are going for $350 to $580 per night in a studio condo, not house!). They have access to our 16 foot diameter fully-enclosed gazebo, with dining room in there, piped-in breakfast jazz, and continental breakfast. No need for renters to ever enter our house. We have secure storage, with video surveillance for the bikes.

This is an alternative to renting our house out (during these uncertain times).

Keep an open mind about renting genres. There are several ways to rent "a truck camper" without it ever leaving your property (even listing it on Air B&B if you live in a city or urban area that permits RV parking in your driveway!).

Good luck.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Renting My Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.