|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Renting My Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more i think about it , the camper by itself without the truck , in a more private setting tucked away in the woods may actually be even more desirable to rent than at a campsite , and i would feel more comfortable renting the camper off the truck on my own land , so maybe my reservation is more about the truck than the camper itself.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its on the ground and well supported, then that's probably good. Personally I would not rent mine, but I understand why it might be ok for others. If the camper was on a vehicle, any number of things can go wrong, low limbs, giant potholes or humped railroad tracks taken at speed.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

moonlitsouls

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/21 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonDockin wrote:

If its on the ground and well supported, then that's probably good. Personally I would not rent mine, but I understand why it might be ok for others. If the camper was on a vehicle, any number of things can go wrong, low limbs, giant potholes or humped railroad tracks taken at speed.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

thanks a lot, i think renting it while im in the city for work could work out really well, and then i can use it was my own personal escape when im off. its all falling into place. But finding the right piece of land is really difficult , especially when you're 3-4 hours away and the pictures are never really good

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on using it between rentings, consider potential snags.

Say you rent it out the week before you're off. When you arrive, you find out the renters left some food inside and mice got into everything. Now you will be spending your time off cleaning the camper.

Or the renter breaks the faucet. Now you're spending your time off fixing things.

For me, that was always a big "yuck factor" - I didn't want to risk having to work through my days off because someone else messed things up.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s 3-4 hours away, IE a 6-8 hour drive every time someone is done renting it, to clean, change bedding, fix stuff etc. And generally most rentals will be for the weekend or through the weekend so that will be an after work exercise during the week virtually every time.
Possibly more effort than the first plan of delivering it to random locations. (Which would require a second driver and vehicle to bring you back.) Or you could drop it off the truck each time which = more time spent each time.
And you’re putting personal “mods” in it like the diesel heater which will not be conducive to renting to the general public. Like renting out an old hot rod vs a new Toyota. You’d have to have the right person who knew what they were doing or risk further damage and issues.

Renting it with the truck turn key, imo is a non starter all around. Way too risky. You can’t screen clients enough to know whether they can drive something they’ve presumably never driven before. (And more insurance requirements than necessary if it’s effectively a portable cabin with no vehicle involved in the rental).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if it’s your residence now (you’re full timing in it) you’d need another residence?
We don’t know enough about your living situation geographically or practically to say, but I envision you’re working “in the city” NYC and have the camper parked somewhere nearby for weekday accommodations.

Maybe I/we are all off base here, but my feeling is that you have many considerations to weigh to decide if this can be a profitable or even viable side hustle.

Also the idea about plopping it on a piece of off grid land and renting, seems different than a normal vrbo and I believe it will seem “strange” to most potential renters. And a little Deliverance-esque to me.

Don’t forget dumping and water too, and several times a week if you have newbs in a TC. Pretty hard to accomplish when your 3-4 hours away and camper is set up “off the truck.” You’d have to have running water and at least a hillbilly septic at a minimum for off grid rentals.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mere title of this has me contemplating buying a camper expressly to rent to see how profitable it could be. Sure one won't make you rich, but if you committed to multiple at what point could a guy make a living? Using the online apps to find renters and hold them accountable should alleviate most of the pain

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

The mere title of this has me contemplating buying a camper expressly to rent to see how profitable it could be. Sure one won't make you rich, but if you committed to multiple at what point could a guy make a living? Using the online apps to find renters and hold them accountable should alleviate most of the pain

You mean a tow behind? Yes, I think it could be a good side hustle, provided one has the proper protections in place for repairing damage.
And not one that I'd be interested in, but I don't have the time to clean/tinker/fix more things, to make it seem remotely attractive to me, personally.

Guy at work here from Cali, said he and a couple buddies used to buy a new camper every year (he doesn't even camp), rent it out for Burningman and a couple other events and then sell it and made pretty good side money.

Killingsworth

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SuperCharged, please rethink that whole idea of holding ANY one accountable, it just wont happen. Ive had enough expeirence with people to know they will NOT take responsibiity for any thing. As mentioned above Ive had rentals over the years and the incident free rental days are disappearing rapidly. At this point they move in and you cannot get them out, not that it was an easy proposition before whole virus thing.
Its just my humble opinion that renting any thing is a losing proposition, of course there are many who will claim, you just dont rent to the right people, you have to have faith in your fellow man, you have to rent to a higher class of people blah blah blah... I will not say you will never get one out of many who will respect your property, but they are far and few between. People will generally scam just about any thing and everything.
Again its just an opinion, every one has one.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Agree whole heartedly. Wife and I need to buy a property before the end of the year, so we don’t have to write a big check to Biden in April…and the thought of buying a rental somewhere that is in a housing boom is attractive, but our track record is about 1 in 4 for good tenants and the bad range from just owing some back rent before you get them out, to a lot of rent and trashing the house. And we’ve only leased out expensive homes. So not even dealing with the people who can’t even pretend to be qualified. And pre Covid when you might actually be able to kick someone out.
That idea lasted like 5 minutes and decided no rentals.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Renting My Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.