RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Jake Braking A 5er Down Long Steep Incline

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jake Braking A 5er Down Long Steep Incline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rollochrome

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just arrived at our vacation destination yesterday.

I had my factory “jake”brake set and the cruise control on when I crested the top of the largest hill going into this part of the country. I’ve never towed a fifth wheel through this kind of environment before and felt like I was looking over the top of a roller coaster when I looked down the several mile long descent

My F350 downshifted all the way into third gear and held me at 55 miles an hour from the top of the mountain to the bottom of each mount I encountered

After I went up and down several mountains like this however it occurred to me that I might be creating conditions conducive for a jackknife if I didn’t have any braking on the trailer at all in such a descent since the wheels of the truck were providing the resistance going down the hill via engine braking and the wheels of the trailer were just rolling freely.

Do I need to be using my integral brake controller in such a condition to apply a little bit of braking to the trailer all the way from the top of the mountain to the bottom?

1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only if you want to burn them up or wear them out prematurely

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you had the cruise set it is possible that your truck’s computer may have intermittently applied the truck’s and trailer’s brakes to maintain the 55 mph. (This feature is on trucks equipped with adaptive cruise control) If you have your towing display selected when going down a steep grade a bar graph will display the level of trailer braking being applied during the brake applications.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jackknifing would only be an issue on slippery surfaces, then caution is advised. I have used my exhaust brake on snow covered roads in 4x4 before without issue, you just need to be aware.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On dry roads, it's the preferred option.

Even on slippery roads, it's the first line of defense but keep an eye on things. If it's bad enough to be concerned, better to pull off and wait for better conditions.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run cruise all the time but “I” manually control what gear I descend in. My trailer brakes are cool all the time.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollochrome wrote:

Just arrived at our vacation destination yesterday.

I had my factory “jake”brake set and the cruise control on when I crested the top of the largest hill going into this part of the country. I’ve never towed a fifth wheel through this kind of environment before and felt like I was looking over the top of a roller coaster when I looked down the several mile long descent

My F350 downshifted all the way into third gear and held me at 55 miles an hour from the top of the mountain to the bottom of each mount I encountered

After I went up and down several mountains like this however it occurred to me that I might be creating conditions conducive for a jackknife if I didn’t have any braking on the trailer at all in such a descent since the wheels of the truck were providing the resistance going down the hill via engine braking and the wheels of the trailer were just rolling freely.

Do I need to be using my integral brake controller in such a condition to apply a little bit of braking to the trailer all the way from the top of the mountain to the bottom?

Well the fact that you had the cruise set at 55 tells me dry paved road in 4X2,so little chance of a jackknife.

Your second question, I would tap the service brakes then resume the cruse, unless adaptive then, the cruise should tap the brakes.
If you are on a slippery surface and the TV is in 4X4 then the braking action of the exhaust brake is the same as using the service brakes. If you manually apply the trailer brakes, you could lock them up and cause it to jackknife.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aren't these new, upgraded diesels a beautiful thing ! ! !

For those who have NOT towed with a newer diesel and engine brake, they really don't know what they are missing.. ! ! that goes for ALL 3 of the big manufacturers . .

ps... as for the question,,,, DRY ROADS = not gonna jackknife.... set it and forget it...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For down hill descents I run the exhaust brake on “auto”. When the auto EB is selected the back pressure is regulated to try to maintain the speed the truck was travelling the moment either the throttle or brake pedal were released..

Say you are coming down a steep grade and you have the EB set to auto. The speed you are travelling when you release the throttle is the speed the EB will try to maintain; If you come to a curve and apply the brakes to slow down a bit the new speed set point will be the speed you are travelling the instant you release the brake pedal. After the curve if you want to speed up a bit simply touch the throttle slightly until you are travelling your desired speed again …. a new speed set point will be stored the instant you remove your foot from the throttle. When using the auto EB the wheel brakes (truck and trailer) will only be applied in the event the EB is unable to provide enough back pressure to control your rate of descent. In this case the truck will slowly accelerate with the EB providing full back pressure until the engine reaches red line (4000 rpm), at this point the wheel brakes are momentarily applied to slow the rig down a bit at which point the brakes are released and the truck starts to slowly gain speed again. If having this cycle persist is not desirable you can apply the brakes to slow down enough for the transmission to drop another gear.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

For down hill descents I run the exhaust brake on “auto”. When the auto EB is selected the back pressure is regulated to try to maintain the speed the truck was travelling the moment either the throttle or brake pedal were released..

Say you are coming down a steep grade and you have the EB set to auto. The speed you are travelling when you release the throttle is the speed the EB will try to maintain; If you come to a curve and apply the brakes to slow down a bit the new speed set point will be the speed you are travelling the instant you release the brake pedal. After the curve if you want to speed up a bit simply touch the throttle slightly until you are travelling your desired speed again …. a new speed set point will be stored the instant you remove your foot from the throttle. When using the auto EB the wheel brakes (truck and trailer) will only be applied in the event the EB is unable to provide enough back pressure to control your rate of descent. In this case the truck will slowly accelerate with the EB providing full back pressure until the engine reaches red line (4000 rpm), at this point the wheel brakes are momentarily applied to slow the rig down a bit at which point the brakes are released and the truck starts to slowly gain speed again. If having this cycle persist is not desirable you can apply the brakes to slow down enough for the transmission to drop another gear.

I'll admit, while I use the EB, I never understood how the auto EB works. Thanks!

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Jake Braking A 5er Down Long Steep Incline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.