RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: range hood exhaust fan?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> range hood exhaust fan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

domanton wrote:

All of the parts are plastic including the flimsy 1/8" plastic pivot pins built into each end of the flap.

One of the plastic pins broke after using it just a few times. When I went to the dealer for a replacement, I was given two choices.

It seems to me that the typical noisy fan is just part of the issue with using the vent.

Either the plastic pivot pin model or a model where tape was used instead of pivot pins and sockets.

Unbelievable cheap ****! I ended up rebuilding the pivot model using a pieces of coat hanger for the pivot pins.

I guess my rebuilt works great, but I hardly ever use the vent.

The next issue is the locking tabs.

My model has two plastic tabs, on the outside of the camper, that must be put in place to hold the flap when driving.

Not only is it inconvenient to go outside to lock or unlock the flap, but the tabs are too high off the ground to do so without a step stool or small ladder.

Instead of using the vent, I have just crack the nearest window and use fantastic fan to pull air through the camper.

That works poorly and also puts greasy residue on the fan blades but at least I don't have to hear the noise of the vent fan after first going outside with a step stool to unlock the vent.

This old post had a great remedy for the exterior vent flap. He put a latch on the inside where he could open and close it. Vent Hood Latch Idea

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my Arctic Fox hood external vent with this one when it started to discolor. As I was removing the original, it was falling apart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Mobile-Hom........nt-Range-Hood-Stove-Vent-White/976025767

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like to leave threads hanging so here's what's going on. I'm almost done with the furnace install as I was waiting for a part. It has arrived also my AC motor arrives tomorrow so hopefully I will wrap up those two things this weekend. "Jimk" you were right, I went to camping world yesterday and looked at some RV furniture and everything is huge. Not gonna happen. Thanks for the responses and as soon as I have something to report I'll check back.
Joe

Paradox123

Pine Junction, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

The DC controller linked is only rated at 1 amp max. Not positive I remember correctly but seems our little can motor draws 1 1 /2+ amps. Just verify

The motor linked as what you have, looks like an AC motor?

Did the same. Can now tone it down to white noise.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paradox123 wrote:

AnEv942 wrote:

The DC controller linked is only rated at 1 amp max. Not positive I remember correctly but seems our little can motor draws 1 1 /2+ amps. Just verify

The motor linked as what you have, looks like an AC motor?

Did the same. Can now tone it down to white noise.

This is the one I ordered. A couple of the reviewers pretty much did the same thing. I won't get back to this for a while as My new to me, new/old stock furnace will not stay running. I'm gonna dig out the sail switch today and the AC motor is sitting on my workbench. So those two jobs first then this. I gotta get that furnace running it was a balmy 79 here yesterday! [emoticon]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FN4H37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I also have the sub floor out as I'm fixing some old issues down there. No beach for a while...

* This post was edited 12/06/21 06:26am by notsobigjoe *

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK guys, Nothing really to report on this job. I took it down and hooked up the PWM and was unimpressed, took it off, took some measurements and I'm thinking about building my own aluminum box with this fan installed in it. Not much to talk about really as it's in the thinking stage. I did however finish my new furnace install and A/C upgrade. I have tons of pics and will share soon. Also have my floor out of the bottom and going to insulate tomorrow. So a big dud just thought I'd fill you in, Joe
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-K801700-Fan-Motor/dp/B01N1MK7T9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1LJRPZM25SH4X&keywords=fantastic+fan+parts&qid=1639270442&sprefix=fantastic+fan%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> range hood exhaust fan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.