RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cause and effect?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cause and effect?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently I filled my large outer propane tank. When re connection I heard a hiss and determined the crimp was leaking for the large connector. I found Mr heater hose in 12" but when looking at the end that screws into the transfer device it did not have a check valve as the OE did. I looked a few places and finally stopped at a Propane Delivery Company that had parts also. The Manager said no need for the check valve. OK so I installed the hose and all seemed well.....UNTIL.

We stayed at a rest area last night on our trip South and it was COLD up near Barstow, CA. I fired the gen up and then it died. I tried a few times and started to run then died every time.

OK now what had changed??? I had the outside tank open and the inside closed as usual so I never completely run out. I went outside and turned the transfer switch to the inside tank and opened it up leaving the outside tank open. Went inside and sure enough the gen fired and stayed running.

Raised the Satellite Dish and turned on the furnace and had a nice evening staying warm and watching NETFLIX. Well I fell asleep and around 12:30 am the gen stopped. I just went ahead and fell back asleep and woke at 5am thinking OH SHITE I bet both tanks are empty and my dish is sticking up. I had thoughts of having to disconnect and find propane.

Then my foggy brain kicked in and checked the tanks. Sure enough the inside tank ran out and the outside was still full even tho the transfer should have switched. So swapped the tanks and opened the inside tank and WA-LA the gen fired right up stayed running and allowed me to store the rooftop dish.

So now can someone please explain what the lack of a check valve has to do with the gen not staying running???

Opposite end of my finger has the built in check, new hose does not.

FYI the Mr Heater hoses are nice quality and US Made.

[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The propane dealer should have been able to make you a new hose with your parts. All it would have taken was a short piece of new hose or just a new crimp on your hose.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how are you getting netflix on your sat dish?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Actually we were not watching NETFLIX. But we do go thru the Hopper to watch NETFLIX when we have internet connection.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

The propane dealer should have been able to make you a new hose with your parts. All it would have taken was a short piece of new hose or just a new crimp on your hose.

Did you read my post?

I found Mr heater hose in 12" but when looking at the end that screws into the transfer device it did not have a check valve as the OE did. I looked a few places and finally stopped at a Propane Delivery Company that had parts also. The Manager said no need for the check valve.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Actually we were not watching NETFLIX. But we do go thru the Hopper to watch NETFLIX when we have internet connection.

tnks

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without the check valve what keeps the gas from just flowing between the 2 tanks and just equalizing vs. flowing to the appliances? Especially if the appliance is off

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

bgum wrote:

Did you read my post?

I found Mr heater hose in 12" but when looking at the end that screws into the transfer device it did not have a check valve as the OE did. I looked a few places and finally stopped at a Propane Delivery Company that had parts also. The Manager said no need for the check valve.

The ACME fitting on the hose may have a built in high flow valve that shuts off if it thinks there's a major leak in the system. Sometimes those valves trip when the cylinder service valve is opened too fast. Try shutting the service valve off, loosening and retightening the Acme fitting, and then opening the valve slowly to see if that works better.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Without the check valve what keeps the gas from just flowing between the 2 tanks and just equalizing vs. flowing to the appliances? Especially if the appliance is off

Doesn't the automatic transfer valve prevent this? Very interested in this thread because I plan on replacing my propane pigtails in the spring.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line my gen starts and runs with the line that has the check valve and does not stay running on the new line without the valve.

My cooktop and furnace both work on either line.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cause and effect?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.