|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Better handling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but we are new to the class A experience, so here goes.

We just bought a Tiffin 36LA, and although it rides pretty good, I'm always interested in better safety and performance.

Looking at adding the Safe T Plus (stabilizer) and changing the sway bars (front and rear) to the CHF.

For those that have tried it, how do you like it?

Thanks,

Skip

KillingTime

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might want to read this on the Chf. Have run across some that did this and the cost for repair was not nice. If you are having an issue then fix it the right way and enjoy it far longer and a nicer ride. front end alignment and correct air pressure will make a big difference. You might add that tires can and do cause a lot of handing issues.

CHF fix

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The CHR works great, but I would replace the front sway bar links with longer ones. When switching the holes they become shorter and can limit suspension travel. Did it on my buddys and so far so good with the stick links.

We also installed a Safe T Plus which he also said was an improvement. I believe Safe T Plus now makes one with a solenoid so you can reset the center position (for wind or road conditions). I have the True Center which does the same thing and I love it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the CHF front and rear done 5 years ago and all is good with the links, how much it helps would be a good question.

I’m always a bit leery of ads such as the one in the above link when they use terms such as “More often than not” cause ‘X’ to happen. How often have the links broken when compared to the number of CHF fixes performed? They don’t know (no way for them to know) and have no basis for the assertion.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a brand new 2022 36 LA with liquid springs on the rear. Having never driven a gasser without liquid springs I have nothing to compare it to but, we just drove cross country from FL to AZ and it handled very well. No mods were done to the front end.

On good roads it drives like a dream. On bad roads like I-10, prepare to have your brains rattled a bit. This would be the only reason a DP would be better in terms of ride quality. Otherwise, still couldn’t justify the $70K extra cost.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The link above is from a vendor pushing their own expensive product. The CHF can and does work well, but longer or adjustable links may be needed in some cases to make sure there's enough clearance. The links should have no pre-load on them when installed with the RV level. It's the working arm length of the sway bar that determines the handling change, not the angle of the arms.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the W24 workhorse chassis and it rides quite well overall, only thing we added was a steering stabilizer for sudden gusts of wind that we experience often in our neck of the woods. With all the mountains, valleys, canyons, and arroyos we must traverse to get anywhere, on windy days gusts are intensified as they are funneled across the roadways making for sudden and dramatic shifts of balance to our coach while going down the interstate.

The steering stabilizer helps to give me more time to react to such violent gusts, plus they are known to help with front tire blowouts by assisting to control your rig as it pulls to the side where blowout occurred. Other than those features based on safety, I have had the steering stabilizer both installed and not installed (takes 5 minutes to remove) and found that I did not experience any significant difference in overall drivability, at least on our rig.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I did with my Workhorse was both a stabilizer (Today I'd likely go with the Safe-T-Steer with the optional remote adjuster. back then only Blue Ox had a remote adjuster.

And a Trac Bar
What's a Trac Bar (Also known as pan-hard bar)

As you know the springs allow the axle to move up/down relative to the body (or the other way around) But LEAF springs (Common on Motor homes) also allow some side to side movement.. So if the front moves say to the right as the rear to the left... You think you are headed into the ditch and thus adjust.. then they swap and you think you are headed into the oncoming lane (2-lane) or the other lane (4-or more lane) and you adjust, then they swap and you .. Well that's where we started .. So you are actually weaving down the road. but not the way you think.

The Trac Bar LOCKS the body, side to side, over the axle so this simply does NOT happen... two of them (Front and rear) stop "Wag" 100 Percent one is often enough (Was for me)

how much difference
Trip Detroit to Las Vegas in 2006 (jan) was a relief to park RV and drive towed
2nd trip. Nov same year.. That towed (Same towed) Was much harder to drive when I got there. Way way harder (Same towed exactly I'd gotten used to the RV)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2007 Tiffin 32BA on a FORD chassis & I have 39,000 miles on it using the stock suspension & have no problems with handling.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you start thrashing around spend $$, check the toe-in. It should be set about 5/32".(Strong 1/8"). Then do the cheap handling fix. Note the angle of the front sway bar with the CHF. Longer links need to be added. While in the rear, check the sway bar bushings. A noted F53 failing. Skuterdude on eBay has some of the best replacements.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Better handling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.