|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should I get a new hitch in my new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am planning to trade in my 2008 F250 for a 2021 or 2022 model. Back in 2008 I was told I needed a slider for my standard bed truck, so I went with a Pull-rite Superglide. So far I haven’t had any significant issues with my Superglide but on a couple of occasions I had to adjust my landing jacks to get the hitch jaws to release. I also want to stay with a standard bed truck. I do not believe a slider is necessary for modern radial front fivers. I am also one who believes that it pays in the long run to have a good quality hitch.

So my options (as I see it) are:
Have my 13 year old Superglide moved to the new truck, perhaps refurbished;
Take the opportunity to change out the hitch for a model that absorbs some shock, like a comfort ride.:

Follow up question, the big 3 HD truck manufacturers all offer a fifth wheel prep package priced around $1000. Is that worthwhile? I rarely use the bed of my truck for hauling anything besides my fiver.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The FW prep added to Ford from factory, should not be nearly $1,000? It is a no-brainer to add this option!

Yes, who doesn't want a new hitch, in their new truck? [emoticon]

No you don't need a heavy slider in a standard bed Ford. Sell yours, get a new 3300 from B&W to drop right in the pucks. This hitch will absorb shock, adjust ahead/back, and is VERY user friendly. Easy to hitch/unhitch, any angle. Two pieces, head 75 lbs, base 78 lbs. High quality hitch design, fit, and finish!

Jerry

mike24

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same type slider hitch as you, and I loved the way it hooked and unhooked with ease, also liked the way the jaws rapped around the pin. So i bought a long bed in 2008, The rv dealer bought the slider mechanism from me, then i used the same head then bought the rails and base to match my truck. 7 years later i had to buy another long bed truck, so what i did i just bought the frame brackets to match model year of truck for the Pullrite hitch. One thing i will say about the puck system, you are limited to certain brands for pucks with out puck broad range. Hope that helps, for all trucks that is a long story.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would anyone need a slider in an 8 foot (standard) truck bed?

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Why would anyone need a slider in an 8 foot (standard) truck bed?

I believe they refer to the short beds now as a standard bed . Long beds I believe are referred to as extended or long beds .

Short beds 5.5'
standard beds 6.5'
long beds 8'

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can get decent cash for the Pullrite... I did this 2 years ago when my 2020 long bed Ford was due to hit... I Sold the perfectly good circa 2006 Pullrite for $400.00 and put that money towards a Brand Spanking New B & W Companion and am thrilled I did.....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

you can get decent cash for the Pullrite... I did this 2 years ago when my 2020 long bed Ford was due to hit... I Sold the perfectly good circa 2006 Pullrite for $400.00 and put that money towards a Brand Spanking New B & W Companion and am thrilled I did.....

Testament to my statement above "who doesn't want a new hitch in their new truck"!

Good advice here!

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don’t ya see what you end up with for a truck first and then if it has 5th wheel prep, decide whether to get a new hitch or mount up the old one. Would stink to sell a perfectly good hitch and then end up with a truck without the 5ver pucks AND have to buy a new traditional hitch.
Plus I believe you can get a new frame for puck mounts for most popular hitches. Maybe another option.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Testament to my statement above "who doesn't want a new hitch in their new truck"!

Good advice here!

Jerry

True that Jerry..... on 1 hand there is a 13 year old hitch with a bunch of maintenance ... On the other hand there is the creme de la creme of hitches ... It was easy to decide for me

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The FW prep added to Ford from factory, should not be nearly $1,000? It is a no-brainer to add this option!

Yes, who doesn't want a new hitch, in their new truck? [emoticon]

No you don't need a heavy slider in a standard bed Ford. Sell yours, get a new 3300 from B&W to drop right in the pucks. This hitch will absorb shock, adjust ahead/back, and is VERY user friendly. Easy to hitch/unhitch, any angle. Two pieces, head 75 lbs, base 78 lbs. High quality hitch design, fit, and finish!

Jerry

You seem to be wanting my title as "President of the B&W HeavyWeight FanBoy Club" [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should I get a new hitch in my new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.