|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Finally Found a Cold Cereal I Like

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped buying cold cereals a long time ago because they've become too sweet for me. Instead, I use hot cereals (oatmeal, etc) which allows me to regulate the amount of sugar. At one time certain flake cereals were acceptable, such as raisin bran, even though the raisins were sweet; at least the flakes seemed not as sweet at that time compared to now (I guess these cereal compnies are trying hard to get more people addicted to sugar). Even plain bran flakes, without raisins, is too sweet IMHO. Other flakes may be more acceptable due to
having less sugar content (examples,corn flakes, Special K).

Anyhow, I thought I'd give cold cereals another try. While perusing the cereals aisle at my local Walmart, and viewing the large selection of truly unhealthy choices on the shelves, I noticed a brand I'd never seen before. It is manufactured by the Kind Company, their Cranberry/Almond selection. I looked at the ingredients, and first on the list was slivered toasted almonds (they don't skimp on these), then came oats, followed by cane sugar, followed by various other healthy grains; there was no sweetness in the flakes, the sugar no doubt being used to coat the dried cranberries, which would be too tart otherwise.

The only drawback for some folks may be the price. A 15 oz box is almost $7.00 at Walmart. I don't mind the cost so much since I don't eat it every day. I also find I don't need any added sugar, just pour it into the bowl and add milk (I use almond or oat milk) and enjoy.

In closing, I post this information to benefit those who may be looking for a healthier change from those widely advertised, sugary sweet cereals commonly found on your grocer's shelves. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, healthy alternatives to any type of food cost exponentially more. We shop almost exclusively at Co-ops and organic markets. Plenty of healthier options there. We budget accordingly. All depends on your priorities. I only have one body and I want it to last, so I take care about what fuels it. Also, catering to local markets helps local economies.

* This post was edited 11/30/21 10:43am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a low cost cold cereal try this at Walmart

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For years, I have had a homemade breakfast "cereal".

Oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (occasionally some mixed nuts), laid out on a baking tray. Sprinkled with olive oil, liquid honey and dusted with powdered cinnamon. Placed in the oven for 1/2 hr at 325. Once cooled, put in a container in the fridge.

Every morning I combine a cup or two, with unsweetened, gluten free Heritage Flakes, a 1/4 cup of All Bran Buds, a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries and unsweetened Oat Milk. The Heritage Flakes and All Bran Buds are optional. Can't remember the last time I had conventional cereal.

Lasts for a couple/three weeks before it runs out and a new batch is made.

Marv

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mix spoon size shredded wheat, cheerios and Wheat Bran flakes.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

For years, I have had a homemade breakfast "cereal".

Oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (occasionally some mixed nuts), laid out on a baking tray. Sprinkled with olive oil, liquid honey and dusted with powdered cinnamon. Placed in the oven for 1/2 hr at 325. Once cooled, put in a container in the fridge.

Every morning I combine a cup or two, with unsweetened, gluten free Heritage Flakes, a 1/4 cup of All Bran Buds, a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries and unsweetened Oat Milk. The Heritage Flakes and All Bran Buds are optional. Can't remember the last time I had conventional cereal.

Lasts for a couple/three weeks before it runs out and a new batch is made.

Marv

That looks pretty good, Marv. Unfortunately, I don't have an oven, just a 2 burner stove top.

Thanks to the other respondents who recommended the other products. Fortunately, I've qualified for an EBT card, so, in effect, My Kind Cranberry/Almond cereal costs me nothing. [emoticon]

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome. And good for you for wanting healthier foods.

* This post was edited 12/01/21 11:19am by an administrator/moderator *

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

I mix spoon size shredded wheat, cheerios and Wheat Bran flakes.

Another "mixer" here:
I mix spoon size shredded wheat, Uncle Sam Toasted Whole Wheat Berry Flakes, and Familia Swiss Muesli-No Added Sugar.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to work with a chemist who had previously worked for Kroger at their food lab. One of the things he said to me that stuck with me was that the name of the game is making it as cheaply as possible. Thus the inclusion of more and more air in the ice cream, the injection of more and more water into everything, and inclusion of lots of sugar. Sugar and salt are the two cheapest solids in the food industry, so the more of them they can put in stuff, the cheaper they can make it.

DavidMapes

Las Vegas Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome food.Little bit information about it.The nutritional benefits of cold cereals are many and varied. The average serving costs 50 cents and contains a variety of vitamins and minerals. It is an inexpensive and convenient breakfast option, and is available year round.I wrote a review about healthy food.You can read in https://writemyessaysos.com/buy-essay/ and leave your comment. Listed below are some benefits of cold cereals and the benefits of choosing them. Read on to learn more. To make the most of your next meal, choose cold cereals that are rich in whole grains, which have been shown to lower cholesterol levels and promote healthy weight loss.So, i happy that too much people love healthy food.

* This post was last edited 12/10/21 01:31am by DavidMapes *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Finally Found a Cold Cereal I Like
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.