RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth Wheel Hitch What Kind

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheel Hitch What Kind

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing I had to do to my B&W was drill holes and add springs to keep the hitch tilted back so I didn't need to tie it back with a rope. Then I noticed that when hitching, the handle doesn't necessarily slap all the way back so I always got out to make sure it locked before doing a tug. When unhitching, I had to tie the handle forward, because that was easier than climbing into the bed to put the pin in the handle, or the jaws wouldn't be unlocked. Other than a few convenience and safety deficiencies... it's a good hitch. I put my 25 y.o. Drawtite rocker back in because it does everything the way I want and it keeps my truck and 5er connected together just as well. Craig


2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^The spring clip, that attaches to arm of hitch was not installed during hitch assembly. This is supplied, no need to add springs of your own. Look at a parts diagram, if you are curious.

Jerry





ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ If you go here -

B&W install

you will see on page 1 a picture of the spring clip... It is item # 6=Wire Torsion Spring.. actually part numbers 6 threw 9 are associated with that.

go to page 3 and there are instructions on how to install it,,,


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

The first thing I had to do to my B&W was drill holes and add springs to keep the hitch tilted back so I didn't need to tie it back with a rope. Then I noticed that when hitching, the handle doesn't necessarily slap all the way back so I always got out to make sure it locked before doing a tug. When unhitching, I had to tie the handle forward, because that was easier than climbing into the bed to put the pin in the handle, or the jaws wouldn't be unlocked. Other than a few convenience and safety deficiencies... it's a good hitch. I put my 25 y.o. Drawtite rocker back in because it does everything the way I want and it keeps my truck and 5er connected together just as well. Craig


B&W sent me a free spring to add to my older Companion, to help tilt it back. While it =does= help, it's not a cure, by any means. I use a bungee cord hooked between the side plates and stretched up, and over, the big bolt. Been using that for about 10-11 years, and it works great. Just have to remember to pull it off the bolt when pulling the head or it makes things a bit awkward. :-)

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Lyle...sounds like you are due for a new hitch! May as well get the puck version, when you order that new GM. Compared to a new 3500 diesel cost, the hitch will just be change out of pocket! [emoticon]

You do know those clip-on leveling spring pins can easily be adjusted to change lift pressure to head. If not tightened properly, the spring may have rotated, losing head tension. My hitch with spring, is 8 yrs old now, and holds head up fine, never needing adjustment.

Maybe Craigs hitch is old, or purchased used (spring never installed)?

Did the early version Companions not come with the leveler?

Jerry

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Hey Lyle...sounds like you are due for a new hitch! May as well get the puck version, when you order that new GM. Compared to a new 3500 diesel cost, the hitch will just be change out of pocket! [emoticon]

You do know those clip-on leveling spring pins can easily be adjusted to change lift pressure to head. If not tightened properly, the spring may have rotated, losing head tension. My hitch with spring, is 8 yrs old now, and holds head up fine, never needing adjustment.

Maybe Craigs hitch is old, or purchased used (spring never installed)?

Did the early version Companions not come with the leveler?

Jerry


Planning on it! Just trying to get our folks' house emptied and sold before I have the spare cash.

Interesting side-note. Went to a local GM dealer that 3-4 people recommended to me (would have gone there anyway, but nice to have a rec), and talked to one of the owner's sons. I speced out a couple trucks and he asked about trading my '02. I got it washed (miracle!) and brought it down for them to look at. The other son took it back and shot a bunch of pics of it, but I have as yet, > 2 months later, to hear back, despite 4 messages left.

Back to the hitch. I got my TO Ball and Companion in '04, when I got my truck and Komfort FW. It did not have the tilt spring, though it was drilled and tapped for the bolt. When I complained about it, they sent the kit, free. I installed it from the get-go to give me the most compression for tilting that I could get, but it still liked to flop forward. Hence the bungee, which works great.

Lyle

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought it used from a guy who used to work for a hitch dealer and I figured I just got a production reject. My neighbor bought a new B&W a month ago and his didn't come with the spring either. There's still the handle issues with the B&W. With my old Drawtite, I can leave the handle in, but not locked, for hitching and I hear a reassuring bang when the pin hits home and it's immediately ready for a tug. The handle also securely locks open for unhitching. The B&W is built like a tank tho! Craig

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/02/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a new 5th wheel hauler, I went through this with several friends. Including a close friend that was in a very bad accident that has left him with brain damage, not unlike a pro fighter might experience. His comment really hit home with me, would you trust an Anderson hitch with the accident I had, and then sent me several photos of collapsed Anderson hitches.

I love how easy it is to hookup the trailer.

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/03/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Trailer Saver hitch came with a separate handle extension and release rod so that it can be latched and unlatched without a stool even with a dually. It is a flattened piece of EMT but works well.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/03/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

My Trailer Saver hitch came with a separate handle extension and release rod so that it can be latched and unlatched without a stool even with a dually. It is a flattened piece of EMT but works well.


Yes, but depends on your height. Hubby sometimes has to use the step ladder!


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Fifth Wheel Hitch What Kind
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.