RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is everybody having trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

Walmart has always had it in past seasons. This year, three different brands, but all alcohol based.

Checked on line, Home Depot had it at a store 15 miles away (plus at other stores even further). Drive all the way there, but they can't find it. Now when I check again on line, they have zeroed out all inventory within 100 miles of my zip code.

Drive to the local hardware chain (since they don't do on line inventory) and they have several brands as well, but all alcohol based.

Try Autozone, same thing. Two different brands, but all alcohol based.

Is everybody having this problem?

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/21 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i thought the 'pink stuff' was vegetable based. ???

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/21 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ummm, why do you want it to be alcohol free? Not trying to start something, I really want to know the rationale.

All you are trying to do is get the water out of the system. The pink stuff with alcohol will do that. Once the water is out, you can safely drain the pink stuff out too. It doesn't have to remain in the system. The water is gone.

rk911 wrote:

The RV antifreeze is either ethanol based or propylene glycol based. (Note that there is NO ethylene glycol in it. That is in car antifreeze and is deadly.) I am assuming that the OP is talking about avoiding the ethanol based stuff. However, technically, propylene glycol, also, is an alcohol.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/21 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok...we need clarificafiom. OP....are you looking for engine anti-freeze or anti-freeze for the RV's fresh water system? pretty sure the latter is vegetable based.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never checked to see which I get, they have all worked like they should so I don't really care. Been doing it for 10 years with no issues, so it all seems to work okay.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/21 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered in a couple gallons of alcohol free Propylene glycol when I winterized my boat. I didn't have any trouble finding it online. I got it from an online marine retailer. I think it was West Marine. I didn't even try the stores. Our nearest Home Depot is about 30 miles away but then it's 15 miles to the nearest traffic light.

What's with all the "vegetable based" comments? I've never heard of such a thing. It's propylene glycol.

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Ummm, why do you want it to be alcohol free? Not trying to start something, I really want to know the rationale.

All you are trying to do is get the water out of the system. The pink stuff with alcohol will do that. Once the water is out, you can safely drain the pink stuff out too. It doesn't have to remain in the system. The water is gone.

rk911 wrote:

The RV antifreeze is either ethanol based or propylene glycol based. (Note that there is NO ethylene glycol in it. That is in car antifreeze and is deadly.) I am assuming that the OP is talking about avoiding the ethanol based stuff. However, technically, propylene glycol, also, is an alcohol.

The alcohol-based stuff has two things I would like to avoid. First is it is flammable. Second is that alcohol is harder on rubber seals (like in the dump valves).

And for others that have asked, I'm talking about winterizing the fresh water system.

And thanks for the West Marine suggestion. I have a couple boat places I can try.

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/21 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to KD4UPL.

Yes, West Marine has it in stock. West Marine

My local store has over 1000 gallons sitting on the shelf!

They have 5 different blends, all but one are alcohol free.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 01:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The alcohol-based stuff has two things I would like to avoid. First is it is flammable.

I saw this flammable legend a few years back. Hmmmmm, so being curious I poured some on the pad in front of the barn and took to it with a portable propane torch. Could not get it to light. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your objection to alcohol based other than alcohol in a non pressurized system can evaporate and leave you unprotected (Takes time however)

Suggestion The Best RV antifreeze I've ever used is air. Yup Air. I hooked up the old huffer puffer (Actually I sould not say that as that's an actual brand and I used a Crafstman) set the regulator to about 50 PSI and used a blow out adapter. Opened every valve and blew out the lines.. Then cycled the Ice maker manually to drain that line, Flushed toilets to drain those lines and blew again, and blew again.. Eventually I was getting no more water (About 10 blows) and then I put pink stuff in the drains and toilets I had an at-home sewer connection so I dumped and then added a bit more pink to protect the dump vlves With two toilets. 3 laves and a sink I used about 2 gallons of pink.

Next spring... Instead of having to get all that nasty pink out of the fresh water system..... Well let's just say that was NOT a problem... and as for the pink in the drains. not a problem either.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.