RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: which gooseneck ball?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> which gooseneck ball?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The B&W turnover ball system would be my choice, if actually using the ball for a heavy gooseneck trailer.

If you just want to fasten an aluminum tubular hitch to it, any of the ball systems above will be solid enough.

I know you dislike/don't want rails. They are a much more solid attachment, than any single point hitch. You would have many more options for a hitch, and if you want an Andersen hitch, the steel one that Cummins 2014 has, is a more solid version.

Jerry

I installed rails and use the steel Anderson hitch and it's a great combo. My father in law hasn't had any issues with his gooseneck model, though. I wouldn't have a problem using either setup. I kind of like the ball style hitch better than the standard fifth wheel setup. I also have a plate I can drop in my rails for standard gooseneck trailers and it works well too.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The B&W turnover ball system would be my choice, if actually using the ball for a heavy gooseneck trailer.

If you just want to fasten an aluminum tubular hitch to it, any of the ball systems above will be solid enough.

I know you dislike/don't want rails. They are a much more solid attachment, than any single point hitch. You would have many more options for a hitch, and if you want an Andersen hitch, the steel onethe steel one that Cummins 2014 has, is a more solid version.

Jerry

I have searched the Anderson site and can not find the steel one mentioned. Can you point me the the right direction? Thanks

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riltri wrote:

MFL wrote:

I know you dislike/don't want rails. They are a much more solid attachment, than any single point hitch. You would have many more options for a hitch, and if you want an Andersen hitch, the steel onethe steel one that Cummins 2014 has, is a more solid version.

Jerry

I have searched the Anderson site and can not find the steel one mentioned. Can you point me the the right direction? Thanks

https://andersenhitches.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9uag-3C9AIV_2tvBB1v7QLZEAAYASAAEgLrpPD_BwE

Looks like that didn't work . Just google Andersen Hitches.com it's there , just looked at them , or just google Andersen part # 3200

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just typed Andersen fifth wheel hitch for rails, and many places show availability, etrailer, camping world, and amazon, just a few, all with pictures of product.

I've had rails in 3 different trucks, never an issue for me. I just cut out a rubber bed mat to fit around them, making them hardly noticeable, when no hitch installed.

Just to be clear though, direct puck fit is best option, when you have it.

Jerry

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That explains it. I was not looking at the rail mounted hitches. Thanks

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never quite figured out why the rails are such a big deal to have in the bed. They're good tie down points and aren't that obtrusive. I guess if you're shoveling dirt or rocks out of the bed they could be a problem but most guys grow up at some point and buy a trailer for that kind of thing.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I've never quite figured out why the rails are such a big deal to have in the bed. They're good tie down points and aren't that obtrusive. I guess if you're shoveling dirt or rocks out of the bed they could be a problem but most guys grow up at some point and buy a trailer for that kind of thing.

I used to have a RBW hitch with the hitch rails in the bed but in a front to back configuration. I hated them as I used my truck for Construction. A friend mentioned B&W and the rest is history!!! Thanks Rick.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

I used to have a RBW hitch with the hitch rails in the bed but in a front to back configuration. I hated them as I used my truck for Construction. A friend mentioned B&W and the rest is history!!! Thanks Rick.

I also had an RBW, and will never go back to having rails in a truck bed. I actually use my pickup bed as a pickup bed so I don't need a trailer I don't sleep in anymore.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

abasler

Seal Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the Anderson Ultimate Hitch with the turnover ball on two of my 5th wheels. The first was on 43-foot Cyclone toy hauler. When it was loaded with full water and my side x side it grossed out at 18,000 lbs. One time I forgot to plug the wire in. The first red light I hit, I had to stand on the truck brakes to stop. Luckily, I had a dully with big brakes and got it stopped. The hitch held up perfect. When I sold the trailer, the guy wanted the hitch. I bought a lighter 5th wheel that weight out at 15,500 loaded and installed another Ultimate Hitch. I love you can have your whole bed back in about 5 minutes with one person. I also have that aluminum hitch complete with the safety chains for sale, if anyone is interested. Half of what it cost new. I traded the truck in to a dealer and they did not want it. I have gone to motorhome now.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Before you buy the Anderson, look at reviews on Amazon. I really wanted one until my wife looked up the reviews and said she wouldn't ride in the truck with me if I had that hitch...

You mean the one with 674 reviews and an average of 4.8 stars?

Or the one with 182 reviews and an average of 4.5 stars?

Or the one with 49 reviews and an average of 4.5 stars?

When things come that highly rated your one-star reviews are generally from people who had unrealistic expectations, misused/abused the product, or got the odd bad one.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> which gooseneck ball?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.