|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord:

Thanks for posting the pics and link for the solenoid you used.

My SuperDuty is a 13, and seems that your statement, 17 on up example, would work the same as mine. On page one of your thread, Bob's description of the vacuum operation sounds to be the opposite use of vacuum? He speaks of Ford's IWE system. When I did a bit of research, I did read about a change of use of vacuum with IWE around about 14.

Is this IWE system what we have, or does not apply to our SuperDuty model? Not much info in my owners manual. It does not make sense to have a vacuum loss default to 4x4. How would you get any distance on dry pavement, if unable to access 2wd? Only two settings on hubs, lock, or auto.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have answered my own questions, concerning integrated wheel end (IWE), by looking at the system itself. It does appear to work opposite, using vacuum to hold 2wd, releasing it, to allow 4wd.

Near as I can tell, this a F150 specific system, and one that has been problematic. I'm thinking too light duty for a HD truck application.

Jerry

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ There is no issue having the hubs locked with the transfer case in 2wd on dry pavement. The front axles can rotate at whatever speed the front tires drive them so long as the transfer case is in 2wd. The purpose behind unlocking the front hubs in 2wd is really just to save the tiny bit of power/fuel required to spin the front differential gears.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^Absolutely correct, I've been over thinking this to the point of not thinking. This can/did cause a brain fart. Thanks for the wakeup! [emoticon]

Time to watch a movie.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/21 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

I could manually lock my hubs on my 99 Superduty ,and they were also auto .

That's how I recall on the 2001 I had. Problem was unless you manually operated them regularly, they would get harder and harder to turn. I made a habit of ever month or so moving them a few times. Even then it took a tool (stuffing box wrench from the boat) to turn them.

Luckily, never went off roading, so never needed 4x4 (it just happened to come with the truck I otherwise found a good deal on).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Be careful with 2 low. It puts a lot of torque to the axles. On some vehicles the manual warns about too much torque in 2 low damaging the axle. This is not much of a problem in 4 low as there are two axles recieving torque

You might have a point, I don't know much about 4X4. My limited understanding is 2-lo would be when you have no traction issues, but wanted to move real slow. Engine speed would never be much above idle. I don't know what the reduction is in the transfer case, but looking at the graph of torque output it would need to be pretty deep to match max.

Now for 1 of my off the wall ideas; Could lock-out hubs be put on a front wheel drive car, use to tow 4 down? Or on the back of rear wheel drive 4 down?

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I could manually lock my hubs on my 99 Superduty ,and they were also auto .

That's how I recall on the 2001 I had. Problem was unless you manually operated them regularly, they would get harder and harder to turn. I made a habit of ever month or so moving them a few times. Even then it took a tool (stuffing box wrench from the boat) to turn them.

Luckily, never went off roading, so never needed 4x4 (it just happened to come with the truck I otherwise found a good deal on).

Thats what happened with one of mine , got to the point it would not lock manually or auto. At that point as said replaced with manual hubs ,and plugged the vacuum lines .

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

It does not make sense to have a vacuum loss default to 4x4. How would you get any distance on dry pavement, if unable to access 2wd? Only two settings on hubs, lock, or auto.

Jerry

Transfer case

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Now for 1 of my off the wall ideas; Could lock-out hubs be put on a front wheel drive car, use to tow 4 down? Or on the back of rear wheel drive 4 down?

Some rock buggies run rear locking hubs.
Theoretically would work on a fwd car. But yes, totally off the wall unless you're into intricate custom mechanical parts design and fabrication.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know what the torque multiplication of the 10r140's torque converter is and/or if the 2020+ Super Duty still uses a transfer case with a 2.72:1 gear reduction in low range?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.