|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

MFL wrote:

It does not make sense to have a vacuum loss default to 4x4. How would you get any distance on dry pavement, if unable to access 2wd? Only two settings on hubs, lock, or auto.

Jerry

Transfer case

Thanks for kicking me when I'm down!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know with a old carb set up, a vacuum leak would cause rough idle, and poor performance. It is my understanding that on fuel injected snot, sensors in the exhaust stream trigger more fuel delivered as the throttle lets more air in. How would the sensors know the difference, partly open throttle or leak? Would a vacuum leak cause fast idle?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

MFL wrote:

It does not make sense to have a vacuum loss default to 4x4. How would you get any distance on dry pavement, if unable to access 2wd? Only two settings on hubs, lock, or auto.

Jerry

Transfer case

Thanks for kicking me when I'm down!

Ha, sorry man! I didn't see the post below until after my fingers did the talking!
I agree with you though, the concept that no vacuum would default to locked position 100% defeats the purpose of the manual lockers.
(Which are bandaids for a poor design, that I believe is old enough to purchase alcohol now!) LOL

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I could manually lock my hubs on my 99 Superduty ,and they were also auto .

That's how I recall on the 2001 I had. Problem was unless you manually operated them regularly, they would get harder and harder to turn. I made a habit of ever month or so moving them a few times. Even then it took a tool (stuffing box wrench from the boat) to turn them.

This should not have been the case. Did you ever take them apart to see why? Generally it's because someone slathered the locking hub mechanism full of grease. The guts of the locker should essentially be dry. Recommendations vary from dry to a spray of light lube to a very small, judicious amount of grease.

Unless they leak water in and get corroded, that is. For example, I have a 1974 Jeep, that until last year, the front lockers/bearings etc hadn't been apart for at least the 15 years I owned it and likely not for a quarter century or more. They still operated like butter.
I probably engaged them every year or 3, depending if I took it wheeling or not.

Same with the 1986 GMC we have. I still need to open up the front hubs and check/pack bearings, but by the looks of everything, these haven't been apart in a very long time either. And they work easily.
Even back in the day, in the rust belt, a hard to turn or stuck locking hub mechanism was rare on the fleet I took care of.

This is inclusive of several 4wd Superduty company trucks I had over the years as well. Especially given I never really turned the hubs because they are auto.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I know with a old carb set up, a vacuum leak would cause rough idle, and poor performance. It is my understanding that on fuel injected snot, sensors in the exhaust stream trigger more fuel delivered as the throttle lets more air in. How would the sensors know the difference, partly open throttle or leak? Would a vacuum leak cause fast idle?

Mass airflow sensor and throttle position sensor.

If the throttle isn't commanding the airflow, and the mass airflow sensor is not sensing it, the computer does not add fuel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 94 Ford Ranger 4.0 Auto 4X4 I installed a Remco driveshaft disconnect for towing purpose, then I changed the Auto locking hubs to Manual locking, and it then could be operated Four-wheel drive, Rear wheel drive or Front wheel drive with the option of Low or High range selection in each.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford Super Duty lockers require vacuum for them to engage in auto mode.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Everyone who has ever owned a Ford has become somewhat familiar with the Ford hub system because it has failed in some fashion.
However GM and Ram owners are less familiar because they do not encounter hub issues because their hubs just work without regular failures. No diagnosis or analysis required by GM, Ram owners!
I must be the exception. 20 years and never an issue with my front automatic hubs.

Years ago I thought about the mod. Have not really needed it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Everyone who has ever owned a Ford has become somewhat familiar with the Ford hub system because it has failed in some fashion.
However GM and Ram owners are less familiar because they do not encounter hub issues because their hubs just work without regular failures. No diagnosis or analysis required by GM, Ram owners!
I must be the exception. 20 years and never an issue with my front automatic hubs.

Years ago I thought about the mod. Have not really needed it.

My 05 Super Duty sold at ~180k miles no issues and my current Super Duty with 229k miles and no issues as well. Submerge your axle in water and then ask do you want that axle to engage via DC power or vacuum. I recall our first 05 Dodge Ram at some point the 4x4 stopped engaging and no manual method to engage. Trying to pull a water tank on a turn row without 4 wheel drive was the last straw for that truck.
The choice is yours!

Link

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/21 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Anyone know what the torque multiplication of the 10r140's torque converter is and/or if the 2020+ Super Duty still uses a transfer case with a 2.72:1 gear reduction in low range?

If you floor it and the wheels don't slip, you could twist the axle right off the hub (or something else might fail first).

Used in moderation, there is little risk using 2-Low to maneuver a trailer. In Low range, you are unlikely to ever need to do more than a slight goose of the throttle.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.