|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/21 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

I could manually lock my hubs on my 99 Superduty ,and they were also auto .

That's how I recall on the 2001 I had. Problem was unless you manually operated them regularly, they would get harder and harder to turn. I made a habit of ever month or so moving them a few times. Even then it took a tool (stuffing box wrench from the boat) to turn them.

This should not have been the case. Did you ever take them apart to see why? Generally it's because someone slathered the locking hub mechanism full of grease. The guts of the locker should essentially be dry. Recommendations vary from dry to a spray of light lube to a very small, judicious amount of grease.

Unless they leak water in and get corroded, that is. For example, I have a 1974 Jeep, that until last year, the front lockers/bearings etc hadn't been apart for at least the 15 years I owned it and likely not for a quarter century or more. They still operated like butter.
I probably engaged them every year or 3, depending if I took it wheeling or not.

Same with the 1986 GMC we have. I still need to open up the front hubs and check/pack bearings, but by the looks of everything, these haven't been apart in a very long time either. And they work easily.
Even back in the day, in the rust belt, a hard to turn or stuck locking hub mechanism was rare on the fleet I took care of.

This is inclusive of several 4wd Superduty company trucks I had over the years as well. Especially given I never really turned the hubs because they are auto.

I don't claim to be an expert but I looked it up at the time and it was a common issue. Crud gets built up around the o-ring that seals them and makes them harder and harder to turn.

I didn't use 4x4 and I could get it to operate (with hassle), so never felt the need to tear it apart.

Was the 1974 Jeep the same style as the 2001 Ford? I thought back then they were manual only. One recommended solution was to swap them out for simple manual hubs (you do lose the 4x4 on the fly option of course unless you leave the hubs locked).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^No, manual hubs only on older vehicles like I mentioned. Although the locking hubs work on the same principle and also have gaskets or o-rings to seal them.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Anyone know what the torque multiplication of the 10r140's torque converter is and/or if the 2020+ Super Duty still uses a transfer case with a 2.72:1 gear reduction in low range?

If you floor it and the wheels don't slip, you could twist the axle right off the hub (or something else might fail first).

Used in moderation, there is little risk using 2-Low to maneuver a trailer. In Low range, you are unlikely to ever need to do more than a slight goose of the throttle.

I've pulled a heavy tandem dually gooseneck with its tires sunk down into the ground and used 4 low. I was quite surprised how much throttle it took before the truck started slipping on firm dry ground. The good news is that both front and rear axles slipped without breaking anything.... the driveline doesn't necessarily need to be able to handle all the engine can dish out so long as it can handle all the traction the tires provide.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^No, manual hubs only on older vehicles like I mentioned. Although the locking hubs work on the same principle and also have gaskets or o-rings to seal them.

Yes, switching to manual hubs was a suggestion as it eliminates the need to seal the unit for the pneumatic actuation.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In case anyone is interested I ran the truck at 3300 rpm in 5th gear in both 2 low and 2 high. According to the digital speedometer the truck went 39.0 km/hr in low and 103.4 km/hr in high. According to that the low range reduction on the 2021 Super Duty is 2.65:1.... I believe the 2013 Super Duty had a 2.72:1 reduction so more than likely my test is a little off and the current Super Duty still has 2.72:1 gear reduction in low.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4x4 front hub
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.