|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> California Bill 1346

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Your electric grid can't keep up now so what happens when all these batteries and electric cars are plugged into that system?

Can you say blackouts and brownouts. Well said

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/21 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Skibane wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

The ban will ONLY be in effect IF technology catches up. Currently, there is no viable non-IC generator technology, so unless that changes you will still be able to use your generators in California after 2024.

Lawmakers will simply declare existing technology to have "caught up" - regardless of whether it actually has or not - and ban IC generators.

After all, any IC generator can be replaced with batteries, if your wallet is deep enough.

No, they won't. The text of the bill is specific in that the technology is "same to same". A battery bank is NOT equivalent to a generator.

Feasibility and practibility is also part of the bill. At this time it is not feasible to replace a generator with a battery bank - the cost would be prohibitive, the weight and size of the battery bank prohibitive, and the practibility of using a battery bank without recharging capabilities does not exist currently.

Right now, there is no viable replacement for a generator - whether for home emergency use or RV use.

Here's the actual text of the bill.

The only mention of "feasibility" or "practicality" in it is completely subjective: If some unelected bureaucrat deems the replacement for an IC engine to be "feasible" and "practical", then the IC engine is banned.

Don't like it? Take them to court - They'll use taxpayer's money to defend themselves.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I have not looked up and read the bill, but if it is (like the others) just a ban on selling new, then that won't effect me taking my 1973 motorhome with a same vintage Onan generator there.

Matt

I also wonder if an RV generator is "portable"? Our Onan was affixed to the chassis - it's not like we could take it into the backyard to power the party lights....

wildmanbaker93

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Matt_Colie wrote:

I have not looked up and read the bill, but if it is (like the others) just a ban on selling new, then that won't effect me taking my 1973 motorhome with a same vintage Onan generator there.

Matt

I also wonder if an RV generator is "portable"? Our Onan was affixed to the chassis - it's not like we could take it into the backyard to power the party lights....
An extension cord.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Skibane wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

The ban will ONLY be in effect IF technology catches up. Currently, there is no viable non-IC generator technology, so unless that changes you will still be able to use your generators in California after 2024.

Lawmakers will simply declare existing technology to have "caught up" - regardless of whether it actually has or not - and ban IC generators.

After all, any IC generator can be replaced with batteries, if your wallet is deep enough.

No, they won't. The text of the bill is specific in that the technology is "same to same". A battery bank is NOT equivalent to a generator.

Feasibility and practibility is also part of the bill. At this time it is not feasible to replace a generator with a battery bank - the cost would be prohibitive, the weight and size of the battery bank prohibitive, and the practibility of using a battery bank without recharging capabilities does not exist currently.

Right now, there is no viable replacement for a generator - whether for home emergency use or RV use.

Here's the actual text of the bill.

The only mention of "feasibility" or "practicality" in it is completely subjective: If some unelected bureaucrat deems the replacement for an IC engine to be "feasible" and "practical", then the IC engine is banned...

The law only applies to the sale of small engine devices manufactured after 2023.

Existing ones you own will be legal to use. Mine are 15 years old and still running strong.

IC engines you buy out of state will be legal to bring into the state and use. Expect a lot of sales from dealers in Reno, Vegas, Kingman. Medford, etc...

You will still be able to purchase from a dealer 2023 models that are still available after the effective date.

IC engines you buy from a private party will still be legal.

Out of state visitors will still be able to use generators they brought with them.

This bill is more virtue signaling than substance. From Los Angeles to the nearest out of state Walmart is 4 hours. From San Francisco it is 3.5 hours. I do not see any major impact for many many years -- long after I am done RVing or tending my lawn.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Everything in California, including cars, should be electric and rechargeable because we all know that California has unlimited electrical capacity. [emoticon]

They do have their head in the sand and their toes up their

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power supply in California is unlimited. My brother probably has over 70 outlets in his house. They would not of installed so many if he couldn't use them.[emoticon]

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> California Bill 1346
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.