RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Cybertuck - Can we take another thread?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Cybertuck - Can we take another thread?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I'm a little unclear. Do electric charging stations advertise their kilowatt hour pricing? Is it less expensive at one station than another like the competitive situation among gas stations? Once the government and a few corporations own all sources of recharge capability, the prices will skyrocket.

My impression is the reason vehicle manufacturers are going BEV is due to states like California and Washington who are outlawing ICE sales and mandating electric. A mandate is seldom the best solution.

I'll comment on the Cybertruck when I see one.

Yes, except the pricing and conditions are on an App.

Manufacturers are building EV’s because customers took a test drive in one and can’t get rid of their gas burners fast enough. In 15 years you either build EV’s or you are out of business.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How they "electrify" these stretches will get interesting, Gas can be 150 or more miles.
Nevada
a few more in the US. US
And for the Canadians mixed batch
Vehicles needing gas or diesel have used these routes for a century or so, and it's still that far between stations, and you expect closer major electric facilities closer together?
How long is your extension cord?

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

snip….

First, ever look into the history of rural electrification? Cable companies, including Bell system?

Second, have you ever lived with somebody with breathing issues? Bet you ask anybody that has they would tell you they would spend all their money for the ability to breathe. But powers that be want us to worry more about the debt we are passing on than the air we are passing on...

Mostly agree ! Part of that ‘infrastructure’ portion is to get power/communications/etc to the more rural areas, which includes roads/bridges/etc. in those areas

As most lobbyist’s & too many government legislators mainly pay attention to the bottom line…AKA Money based metrics or pure capitalistic metrics

There isn’t enough money in it to take care of the very, very small numbers that are in need as you state…and…there are more small pockets of disadvantaged.

Like my incurable non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer (Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia).

Only 1K-1.5K are diagnosed with it per year in America. So the Pharma’s don’t budget for research…unless someone with mega bucks donates & demands some research starts (yup, there are now a few)

Plus, they are not all very poor…some might be very rich, but sick.

To the PM about comment on ‘monster wiper’…most looking at that picture also fall into the same vision as the designers of that ‘monster wiper blade’

It does not need to be that big, but am assuming they wanted to follow the glass area and for a ‘cool look’….

All it has to be is a few inches higher than the drivers forehead. So it can wipe clean enough glass to look up at road signs.

And not down to the bottom of the glass, but just above to the point of wiping clean the drivers vision over the hood.

Swept area should be from vertical on the left to almost horizontal on the right side of the sweep.

Not two wipers. The passenger doesn’t need to have a wiper. Just the driver, though it would be nice to have one for the passenger if possible.

‘Looks’, IMHO, will drive their decision on that.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I am not an EV fan boy. But I do reaize EV's are coming and will revolutionize the auto world.
All you need to do is drive a Tesla and you will understand.
If you have not driven a Tesla you most likely do not get it.
Driving a Tesla will have a game changing impact on how you view EV's
Drive a Tesla and you will be enlightened to the future of EV vehicles.
After the drive you will understand the "Not if but when" future of EV's.
The EV revolution has started.

Proven by the fact Ford and GM are all in starting 2035. Every major auto manufacture in the world is ramping up their EV research and development. Both GM and Ford have even started building their own battery plants.
One thing to look forward to are solid state batteries. 3 minute full charges with 600+ mile range. Batteries for industry use are looking toward saline batteries. This is exciting. Coal will become a thing of the past. Petroleum may always be a part of our lives, but not in the forms we are use to.

Doesn't prove anything. GM promised 20 new EV's in 2023. Wonder how that is going and when they will walk back that promise. But I forgot they are the EV leader according to the leader of the free world. Tesla is the only EV company in the US along with a bunch of Wanna bees so they can boost their stock prices. Talk is cheap. I really don't understand why Washington today treats Tesla so poorly.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spend most of my time fishing and camping in rural areas of the PNW with small towns so I really don't give a pokers chit about EVs. Happy camper here. I like talking fish adventures instead of arguing over EVs.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

The remote areas and small rural towns where I fish and camp have no EV charge stations so I am happy with my gasser trucks. YEP

Patience, Grasshopper. A conglomerate of corporations has been formed to build and install 50,000 charge stations starting now. This does not include the federal infrastructure plan to install tens of thousands more.

Thanks for the insult fish bait.

* This post was edited 12/12/21 04:20am by NamMedevac 70 *

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/21 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I really don't understand why Washington today treats Tesla so poorly."

Follow the money. The carbon industry and legacy auto contributes greatly to politician's war chests, Tesla does not.

lbrjet wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I am not an EV fan boy. But I do reaize EV's are coming and will revolutionize the auto world.
All you need to do is drive a Tesla and you will understand.
If you have not driven a Tesla you most likely do not get it.
Driving a Tesla will have a game changing impact on how you view EV's
Drive a Tesla and you will be enlightened to the future of EV vehicles.
After the drive you will understand the "Not if but when" future of EV's.
The EV revolution has started.

Proven by the fact Ford and GM are all in starting 2035. Every major auto manufacture in the world is ramping up their EV research and development. Both GM and Ford have even started building their own battery plants.
One thing to look forward to are solid state batteries. 3 minute full charges with 600+ mile range. Batteries for industry use are looking toward saline batteries. This is exciting. Coal will become a thing of the past. Petroleum may always be a part of our lives, but not in the forms we are use to.

Doesn't prove anything. GM promised 20 new EV's in 2023. Wonder how that is going and when they will walk back that promise. But I forgot they are the EV leader according to the leader of the free world. Tesla is the only EV company in the US along with a bunch of Wanna bees so they can boost their stock prices. Talk is cheap. I really don't understand why Washington today treats Tesla so poorly.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

You do realize that it is still 2021! There is another 24 months left before 2023. You do know that GM was including all countries, so some may be outside US, Canada and Mexico.

Based on your comments, it is amazing that you think it is appropriate for Tesla to be years behind their announced dates and reservation payments.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

17% of the US population lives in either apartments or condos, making the whole "charge at home" thing a little tougher.

So, who will pay for an appropriate number of charging stations at these locations when (and if) the demand for EV's skyrockets?

Just another great argument for "hybrids first, then EV's" as I see it.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

17% of the US population lives in either apartments or condos, making the whole "charge at home" thing a little tougher.

So, who will pay for an appropriate number of charging stations at these locations when (and if) the demand for EV's skyrockets?

Just another great argument for "hybrids first, then EV's" as I see it.

And a large percentage of the apartments and condos have assigned off-street parking. As the number of EVs increase, the relative rent will decrease for the landlords that don't have charging available.
I have no trouble imagining parking lots covered with solar panels

As for the hybrids first, then EV, most families have more than 1 car. Keep a ICE for long trips until the charge time/network problems are solved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Cybertuck - Can we take another thread?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.