|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route 13 & Route 17 to Fl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
David_and_Chris

NYS Capital District

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to stay off of main highways from Berlin M.D. to green cove springs fl. How will route 13 to route 17 be pulling a fifth wheel?

David

David

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both highways are fine for RV travel. We have used both numerous times. Have traveled with a TT, a Class C and, most recently, a 34' Class A with a toad. Never in a 5er.
I would not suggest using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in any kind of windy conditions, and you might want to check the height limits going through those tunnels. Cannnot recall them. There will be traffic in the area just following the bridge-tunnel as well (Norfolk, Chesapeake) but after that little at all until Jacksonville and Wilmington, NC. Traffic again in Myrtle Beach, SC area, then again in Charleston (may choose to take I 526 around). 17 joins with I 95 at MP 33 in SC into Georgia, taking you around Savannah. Then into Florida. A little tough in Jacksonville, then goes west of I 95. Haven't taken it farther south than that. No where near as fast a trip as using I 95, but, for us, far less stressful. Any way you go, enjoy!

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would even suggest a detour if possible. Taking 13 south the CBBT if you go that way is a great drive, 13'6" overhead clearance. something most folks dont do often, and then once on the south end take 158 south in Chesapeake and go to the outer banks. You can either cut back to the west through Manteo to rejoin 17 south, or take the free ferry from Hatteras to Okracoke, and then a pay ferry to go on down toward Morehead City NC. And rejoining 17 near Jacksonville or Wilmington NC

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/21 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taking Rt13 down across the CBBT is easy peezy and beautiful. Just turn off your propane to cross the bridge. Once in Virginia Beach I usually jump onRt58 west to connect with 95 south. I have not used Rt17 so I know nothing about it.

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are based nearby Easton, MD. Done the CBBT, 13 & 17 many times.

With the exception of the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area, which will take maybe a 1/2 hour to slug through, the rest is quite pleasant & certainly better than getting on 95.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

David_and_Chris

NYS Capital District

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. Mow to finish planning the route including mileage, and stops.

David

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

I would even suggest a detour if possible. Taking 13 south the CBBT if you go that way is a great drive, 13'6" overhead clearance. something most folks don't do often, and then once on the south end take 158 south in Chesapeake and go to the outer banks. You can either cut back to the west through Manteo to rejoin 17 south, or take the free ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke, and then a pay ferry to go on down toward Morehead City NC. And rejoining 17 near Jacksonville or Wilmington NC

If the journey is the thing, this is the best route. Camp at the federal campgrounds on the OBX

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

David_and_Chris

NYS Capital District

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me the journey is always the thing, I tend to build time into getting where I am heading. The goal is green cove springs Fl. at the end of November, I just need to find campgrounds / stopovers that are open past Columbus day.

David

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route 13 & Route 17 to Fl
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.