RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Ever Notice?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ever Notice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone ever notice that in that first scene of GUNSMOKE that Matt Dillon doesn't have any back pockets?[emoticon]

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And he is beaten to the draw by his opponent.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First shot doesn't mean as much as first accurate shot. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed his pants with no pockets a long time ago and thought that was a little odd. I also noticed that the bad guy got the drop on him but I figured he was a bad shot and just missed him. In most scenes, I noticed that Dillon never had his holster tied to his leg, the leather straps just dangled at his side.
Just a side note - I read that opening gun fight scene was filmed at the same set that High Noon was filmed.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where hip pockets normal in late 1800s? My understanding is vests where normal, and made of heavier material than shirts to support stuff. The shirt pocket did not become normal until WWI or later.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/21 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDK if pockets were normal during that time period or not. I have read that making left and right shoos is a fairly new invention. Prior to that you just slipped them on regardless of which foot. I appreciate everyone's comments. I was afraid I was the only one who enjoys noticing unusual little trivia.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/21 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never noticed the lack of pockets or the slower draw. but then it's been a long time since I watched that show.

Do you know that those pockets are what made Levi Strauss Famous... He was making a new suit so he could apply for a loan (denied) out of canvas and ran out of thread.. Well they decided to rivet the pockets on cause you can't have a pair of pants without pockets...

On the way back from the bank words were exchanged and he took off his jacket in preparation of a "Donnybrook" and the onlookers spotted the riveted on pockets. They still rivet them on today They do not tear off like sewn on pockets) .

A couple years later Levi returned to the bank and ask for the loan officer who had denied him.. The bank had just been sold at that point.. The former loan officer said "I don't work in loans any more" Levi said "I know, you also don't work here any more, you are fired". The former loan officer told him that he could not fire him only the new owner could fire him. Levi told him who the new owner was.. And with that the former loan officer cleaned out his desk.

Now that... is the best revenge for a bank that denies a loan (Buy the bank) .

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

IDK if pockets were normal during that time period or not. I have read that making left and right shoos is a fairly new invention. Prior to that you just slipped them on regardless of which foot. I appreciate everyone's comments. I was afraid I was the only one who enjoys noticing unusual little trivia.

In older movies (back when shift levers were "on the tree") Ed always points out that the car being "driven" down the road, actually is in "park".....LOL!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember a TV interview, with a Western movie trainer, saying James Arness had the smoothest, fastest draw of the TV gunfighters of that era.

Yes, I noticed the lack of pockets, and the other guy getting first shot off. If I was super quick, but not best shot, I'd sure want to be closer, than that Gunsmoke opening scene!

I've owned a number of revolvers, and target pistols, and shot a few of them quite accurately. Shooting from a fast draw, with another shooting at me, would be a game changer, compared to target shooting!

Most modern day handguns will benefit greatly, having a gunsmith lighten and smooth the trigger pull. One of the first things I'd do, with a new purchase!

Jerry

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back a number of years ago, I saw on something like the History channel, that most of those quick draw shootouts back then were highly inaccurate, and the opponents often emptied their guns without hitting each other, (unless they actually aimed). [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ever Notice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.