|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Differential Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone had to have their differential serviced? Never an issue on our first RV. This one is in the shop for rear brakes and they found the oil low and metal shavings in it. I read up on differential requirements and the oil should be checked between 50000 and 60000 miles. That’s where we are on mileage. I had noticed a new roaring noise on acceleration which might be traced to this problem. Shop will service. Hopefully just new seals and oil.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should it be? Absolutely. 50k on an axle largely operated at max capacity, it’s due.
However realize “servicing” is nothing more than dumping the oil and replacing. So it shouldn’t be very expensive if it’s already on the rack.
$100 in fluid and an hour of shop time. Any more is overcharging.
Also be ware that metal shavings isn’t necessarily bad. Metal chunks are. All axles lose some material through operation, that’s why the magnet is there, to collect it.

Can’t help diagnose the noise but it’s possible it’s the rear end.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into the same question when doing other fluids at 60 and every interval after. Shop said they could but new fluid could actually cause more harm by being pristine, then leading to other issues, particularly before heading out of a trip. Thanks for raising the topic for more perspectives.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why/How would new fluid cause problems ?

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He said when the particulate matter in existing fluid will, when replaced, make the seals/ gaskets the "weakest link" & they may fail more readily. Let a sleeping dog lay.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoever is doing your oil changes should be checking the differential for fluid level. At 60,000 miles on MH, I would say fluid change is over do. Axle seals would be normally replaced when doing rear brakes. Did you or shop see any locations where fluid is leaking out? Are you sure you are not being scammed?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought our 24' E350 Class C it had 6,205 miles on it. The first thing I did was to replace the oil, trans fluid and differential fluids with full synthetic Since then I have changed the differential and trans every 30,000 miles. No metal bits or shavings yet and everything works well... no drips, no runs, no errors.

[emoticon]

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you trust the shop doing the service ?

A small amount of metal is acceptable, but a large amount means trouble !

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this shop is expensive but they are a 24 hour truck shop, very popular with big RV’s and commercial trucks and do good work. I’ve used them before but know they are very high on service charges. I’m willing to pay high if I get really good service. I had the oil changed and fluids checked when I bought it in March at a grease monkey. They replaced the air filter but said nothing about the diff. The noise was new since our last trip in September. I didn’t ask them to check it out because I was not sure it was a problem. Still getting to know this rig. I read about differential noise and what I experienced seemed to fit. When I get it back I’ll know if the noise was corrected. If it was I don’t care that it cost $1300. I’ll check to see what they actually did. If they replaced the oil and all seals the internet says that’s the going rate. If they just changed the oil should be less. But I think they will have it apart to check the gears for wear. I think by using them I will be able to keep this RV in good shape. That’s worth a lot. I have a warranty plan but I bet this is not covered. Considered a maintenance issue. I’m going to check.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hunch was right. Actually very few repairs are covered by this warranty through Good Sam. Im not going to renew. Had it for insurance in case something was major wrong with the used RV but the stuff that’s covered is most unlikely to break. Lots of the wiring is covered and the manifolds for instance. Several sensors. But the deductible is $500. The catalytic converter but not for theft just malfunction.

Edit;
Oops I’m wrong. Diff is covered I think. I was looking at the coverage addendum. I registered the claim but they have to talk to the shop.

* This post was last edited 12/21/21 12:21pm by EMD360 *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Differential Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.