RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Great cooling system on them there SilverAdos!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Great cooling system on them there SilverAdos!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go the ole Trail Boss back from its second round of heart surgery. (Collapsed lifters, twice)
Smelt a little coolant but didn’t think much of it since it’s a top end tear down and smelled a little residual after the first surgery.
Just popped the hood for an earl change, because apparently it would have been too tough to do that when it was in the shop for a week again and at 10% oil life….
Radiator tank cap was present and accounted for but not threaded on at all!
300 miles yesterday morning at 90mph didn’t overheat and tank was full!
Hope they tightened down all the stuff inside the motor!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

alexleblanc

Moncton NB

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like you're having a bad string of luck with this truck and dealer - hopefully thats done with and you can get back to enjoying it.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess you will find out soon enough . . .

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If me, I'd have them flush the OATs coolant on their dime because they left that pressurized cap loose

FYI if you don't know it...OATs (organic acid tech) does NOT play well with O2 in the system and they why the overflow bottle is now pressurized. That is to keep O2 out while checking coolant level. To check these days of OATs & HOATs, just look through the translucent overflow bottle body & the graduations molded into it

The risk is that enough O2 was ingested into the coolant system to do its nasty work with the acid & acid etched metal (oxide) that turns into acidic, gelatinous globules that then stick to the cool-down surfaces of the radiator. That then rots the tube metal

FYI for what it's worth...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bens on the money on this deal. The new coolant's and O2 are a bad mix. Better pray they didn't screw anything else up in there. Good luck!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Admit it, if they'd changed the oil you'd be complaining about them performing services you didn't ask for and charging you.

But when they did the lifter service on mine they had to drain the oil to look for bits in the bottom end. So I got a fresh oil and filter as part of the service. You sure they didn't do that for you?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Admit it, if they'd changed the oil you'd be complaining about them performing services you didn't ask for and charging you.

But when they did the lifter service on mine they had to drain the oil to look for bits in the bottom end. So I got a fresh oil and filter as part of the service. You sure they didn't do that for you?

Yeah, in some scenarios, yes, but since the dealers are the cheapest spot around for an oil change save for my own garage and the oil apparently “needed” to be changed not only per their recommendation UR also the oil life minder, not sure I’d have complained either way although should be part of the warranty service.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

They said they did this time. Last month, no mention of it. That was 2k miles ago. Based on the color and the fact it was 1/2 qt low, my spidey sense tells me they didn’t do it either time.
My last couple full oci said 1/2 qt low as well.
I’m not as involved or concerned as I would be if it was my personal vehicle, so there’s that. Since we’re paying someone to manage our fleet, now.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

The guy who was suppose to reset the oil life monitor was probably the same guy who left the cap off the coolant reservoir. [emoticon]

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

The guy who was suppose to reset the oil life monitor was probably the same guy who left the cap off the coolant reservoir. [emoticon]

Same guy who doesn't reset the TPMI after rotating the tires. I wouldn't mind so much if there was a way a mere mortal such as myself could do it but you need the special tool to communicate with the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Great cooling system on them there SilverAdos!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.