RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: First front tire blow out....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . NEVER

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

I didn't step on the brake. I tapped the pedal to shut down the cruise control.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . NEVER

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

Most vehicles I have driven, the only way to disengage cruise control and maintain a grip on the wheel is tap brake or clutch pedal. Would be willing to bet the OP does not have the 2nd option

The cruise controls on my F53 based motorhome are on the steering wheel within easy thumb reach while maintaining a grip on the wheel.

Most hands, the thumb is the strongest digit. From the time steering knobs where declared unsafe, anytime except the most relaxed driving, or tight low-speed maneuvering, thumb has been wrapped around the rim of wheel.
Note, I do not advocate hitting brakes when the tire blows, but a touch of the pedal to trip a switch is not same as hitting the brakes.
The OP brought his ride to a stop, with the dirty side down, and without hitting anything. No keyboard driver has a right to tell him he did wrong.

Thank You

Richard

RLS7201

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wallynm wrote:

Do you have a TPMS and if so did it give you any warning. In theory ours alarmed after a 20% lose of air pressure. In your case this could have been instantaneous.

No TPMS.......It was a sudden loss of air. Boom!.....The tires were check the morning of departure.

RLS7201

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

All vehicles I have owned with cruise control had an OFF or CANCEL button with the same group of buttons on the steering wheel. Tap it with finger.

Would you have released the steering wheel with one hand to tap the cruise control button when the steering wheel needed both hands to control it?

Richard

RLS7201

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Too late now, but you could of found a hydraulic shop in Hutchinson or Pratt. Tires are everywhere

I have a complete shop and RV pad at my home, with all the necessary tools to do any repair necessary and I don't have to sit around and wait for others to do the job.
Try to find Michelin XPS 235/85R16 all steel cord in a small town. My Michele dealer friend found the 6 tires I needed in Kansas City, MO for $270 ea. I can do the mounting balancing at my friends shop for free.......Nice to have friends.
10 minutes after I entered my local hydraulic shop, I had the necessary replacement hose and fitting in my hand. Got out my easy outs and removed the broken fitting from the valve body and finished the repair. Just can't do that stuff very easy on the road.

Richard

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

All vehicles I have owned with cruise control had an OFF or CANCEL button with the same group of buttons on the steering wheel. Tap it with finger.

Would you have released the steering wheel with one hand to tap the cruise control button when the steering wheel needed both hands to control it?

Richard

No need to release wheel...only takes one finger to press off button on wheel.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Too late now, but you could of found a hydraulic shop in Hutchinson or Pratt. Tires are everywhere

I have a complete shop and RV pad at my home, with all the necessary tools to do any repair necessary and I don't have to sit around and wait for others to do the job.
Try to find Michelin XPS 235/85R16 all steel cord in a small town. My Michele dealer friend found the 6 tires I needed in Kansas City, MO for $270 ea. I can do the mounting balancing at my friends shop for free.......Nice to have friends.
10 minutes after I entered my local hydraulic shop, I had the necessary replacement hose and fitting in my hand. Got out my easy outs and removed the broken fitting from the valve body and finished the repair. Just can't do that stuff very easy on the road.

Richard

Well you know what your trip was worth. Over the years I have cussed when I had to pay somebody to fix what I could fix myself if I was home. But in my case, the miles and downtime to get home would of been more than the savings.

PastorCharlie wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

Richard

I must have a strange hand. 4 fingers and thumb have a much tighter grip than 3 fingers and thumb. Then, a switch mounted on the wheel spoke will move in relation to my body. Sure I can find the spoke moving hand on wheel, but I know that to move that hand on the rim, grip must be reduced. OTOH, in every vehicle with more than 2 wheels, the brake pedal has been pretty close to same location relative to my body, and for a given vehicle, it does not move.

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/22 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on folks. Get real. The guy lightly tapped the brake pedal just enough to make the brake lights come on and shut down the cruise. All while keeping his cool and maintaining a good grip on the wheel.

Why are so many acting like he did a two footed stand on the brakes. Good grief.

Real life and YouTube videos ain't the same thing. [emoticon]

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RLS7201

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

Richard

Obviously you have no idea how you hands grip the steering wheel. With your fingers wrapped around to the back side of the wheel, how do you get one finger to the front of the wheel with out loosing grip? Come on Pastor, get real!

Richard

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering the outcome, the OP did just the right thing! He's safe and that's all that matters. He could have just stomped the gas and ke tpthe RV on course a tiny bit better but getting off the cruise and maintaining control worked. Just keep in mind that you DO NOT want to put on the brakes! Knowing what to do and having your reflexes do what needs to be done is easy when shown on a video but pretty **** hard in the real world.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.