|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

I am looking into options for Wifi connectivity while traveling. Here is our situation:

We head over to a friends ranch in Winnett MT for about 5 to 7 weeks to help with the cattle, while there, we have 1 bar of cell service (enough to get a text) and no internet service. We camp to far away from the house to be able to connect to their wifi. We camp about 500 yards away from the house and there are barns/buildings between us and the house.

We also go camping a lot thru the summer months and hardly ever camp in a campground where there is wifi. Like Fort Peck Reservior, Holter Reservoir and places that just don't have service of any kind...cellular or wifi.

We will also be heading to AZ this winter to camp and ride with the side-by-side and I know we won't be in a place that has wifi there either.

We always take our kindle tablets (2), tracfone phones (2), 1 laptop.

I am not worried about streaming movies since I have a large collection of digital movies on an external drive that I just play on the SmartTv via the laptop.

Would like to be able to get on the internet to pay bills, check email, facebook and such.

So my questions are:

1. Would a mobile hotspot work for this type of camping situation?
2. If you use a mobile hotspot....which service provider do you have?
3. I don't think Wifi boosters or repeaters would work for us...am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks for any help!
Cindy

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Verizon for our needs. You can use the phones we have as a mobile hot spot. We also have an air card which we connect to a small router for the ability to use both computers. It is not necessary any more since we upgraded phones.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have NO Cellular service I think you're out of luck until Star Link gets fully established.
If you can get some cellular service probably Verizon or AT&T phone or Jetpack would get you the most service.
We have a Jetpack with Verizon and have had very few places where we couldn't get online and we've been as far North as Alaska and Newfoundland and most everywhere in between.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

We have Verizon for our needs. You can use the phones we have as a mobile hot spot. We also have an air card which we connect to a small router for the ability to use both computers. It is not necessary any more since we upgraded phones.

Thanks for commenting. I did look into using my phone as a hotspot but since the coverage in the state of MT is spotty at best and we only have 1 bar while at the ranch....I didn't think using my phone as a hotspot would work.

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

If you have NO Cellular service I think you're out of luck until Star Link gets fully established.
If you can get some cellular service probably Verizon or AT&T phone or Jetpack would get you the most service.
We have a Jetpack with Verizon and have had very few places where we couldn't get online and we've been as far North as Alaska and Newfoundland and most everywhere in between.

Thanks...I will look into a Jetpack....would I have to change my phone service over to either Verizon or At&T in order to get the jetpack service?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/22 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visible uses Verizon and has a great unlimited hotspot. We find that Verizon has the best coverage , ATT second best. But if you have any cell service and want better service get a cell booster. We have one and are seldom without usable service. And we boondock.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I call my Jetpack an air card. It is the same.
Box says Novatel aircard wireles.
Smaller print says MIFI 7730L Jetpack.
Mine is older model that handles 4G. I would check for newer models

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Visible uses Verizon and has a great unlimited hotspot. We find that Verizon has the best coverage , ATT second best. But if you have any cell service and want better service get a cell booster. We have one and are seldom without usable service. And we boondock.

Thanks I will research the cell boosters too. We never stay in campgrounds and boondock all the time...I just can't pay to camp..just doesn't make sense to me to do that.

So a cell booster would enhance my service on my phone in order to allow me to use my phone as a hotspot and connect my tablet or laptop to that...correct?

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I call my Jetpack an air card. It is the same.
Box says Novatel aircard wireles.
Smaller print says MIFI 7730L Jetpack.
Mine is older model that handles 4G. I would check for newer models

Got it..thanks

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've also been looking at Visible. Do you just swap SIM cards in your current phone or did you get another phone just to use as a hotspot?

agesilaus wrote:

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.