|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Camping on Sand

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of CG's at the beach without actually being on the sand. I know Myrtle beach has several just in one town. You can still hear the ocean and if your site is right, see it over the dunes. Given the recent high tides and beach erosion on the east coast I would be afraid that you might run out of beach at a bad time, like in the middle of the night. Recently, around here King tides and unusual high tides come in right at the foot of the dunes.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like challenging fun for the DAAHNW. I will pass

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we lived on Long Island our regular camping spot was the beach at Montauk. Used to pull the 34' TT out into the soft sand with the Suburban. The trick is to air down the tires on the truck AND trailer to 15 psi, 12 if the sand is really soft. Use 4WD LO range and go slow, You can start/stop with ease.

Avoid what looks like hard-packed sand down by the waterline, if you hit a soft spot it will be like quicksand and 10x harder to get out of vs. getting stuck in dry sand.

Way2roll, we have been woken up a few times to water under the trailer when storms at sea combined with a full moon to create a tidal surge making an unusually strong high tide. Gotta have insurance, because if you have to evacuate, you ain't taking the trailer with you...

All that said, there is nothing like camping on the beach! The memories are truly lasting, since you never ever quite get all of the sand out of the camper...

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Gotta have insurance, because if you have to evacuate, you ain't taking the trailer with you...

Have you confirmed (in writing) with your insurance that they would cover you if you parked in the tidal area and lost the rig?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

Gotta have insurance, because if you have to evacuate, you ain't taking the trailer with you...

Have you confirmed (in writing) with your insurance that they would cover you if you parked in the tidal area and lost the rig?

I would be very surprised to see a No Beach Camping exclusion in the policy. I used to work in claims and we covered everything but fraud.

Read your policy though. They're pretty simple to read.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

This is a Suffolk County Park, they charge a nightly use fee, issue a permit to camp here and it's patrolled by State Park Police. This pic happens to be in early April, it's not like this in the summer....The county operates many campgrounds in the same fashion and if it represented undue risk to property or occupants they would not permit camping activity at this location. I could be at a park 1000 miles inland and have a tree fall on my camper...no trees here at the beach. Risk is not greater, just different, that's why we have insurance. I'm insured with USAA for 45 years, they have always been a stand up company (although now their RV insurance is through progressive.)

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/22 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at Mustang Island last week but camped on the paved campground. I had the same thoughts about the unimproved camping on the beach as the OP. We walked the beach area and it didn’t look like anyone was having issues on the sand (except for wind driven sand blowing everywhere!).

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/22 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

I would be very surprised to see a No Beach Camping exclusion in the policy. I used to work in claims and we covered everything but fraud.

Read your policy though. They're pretty simple to read.

I doubt they get that specific but I do know if you take a jeep off roading many policies won't cover it, so beach camping, you may need to consider the nature of the access. Some are officially roads, so in theory you should be OK. Others, it's allowed but not considered a road and if they decide you did something obviously stupid, they may try to deny the claim.

Again, better to check with your actual agent (in writing) rather than hope for the best.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never trust the agent. Just read your policy. It’s a very clear contract.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I would never trust the agent. Just read your policy. It’s a very clear contract.

The policy likely won't clearly state "beach camping is OK and we'll cover a loss if the tide washes your RV away."

It will be in much more generic legal language, written by lawyers with caveats and here-to-fors, etc.... An email with response on the other hand can address the specific concern in layman's language. As an authorized agent, the insurance company will have difficulty fighting the claim if you show them the response.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Camping on Sand
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.