|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er Noob Looking for a Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley, good idea, I didn't think to check Hensley. The air ride is interesting, does it really improve the ride?

Regarding removal, maybe not plywood, but drywall...you pile a few sheets of drywall on top of a hitch and it won't look like much when you get it home. Also, DW is into restoring furniture...she's excited to have a truck vs. the old Suburban because she can bring home bigger stuff now... [emoticon]

I'm thinking an engine hoist make hitch removal easy, right?

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hoist is a good idea but needs a hard surface if you plan on rolling it around.
Some use a small elect hoist or a come-a-long dropped down from rafters in the garage.
My hitch is stored hanging from 12' tall truss ribs and a come-a-long in my trailer shed.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

The puck system requires your truck has the pucks installed - newer trucks. Did you post what year your truck is?

The second one you posted is the same that I have. I also have a gooseneck trailer, so it requires a B&W turn over ball to also be installed. The advantage is you have 2 hitches if you need that. The other advantage is that when you take the 5th wheel hitch out, your bed is back to original, basically, no rails left in the bed. That's great if you haul lumber or dirt or whatever you might do with the bed of your truck. Finally, IMO, the B&W companion is a well made sturdy hitch, lots of US steel and heavy. The only complaint is that it takes 2 people to remove the base. But, you want something heavy attached to a 10K to 20K lb trailer...

Well you DON'T need a B&W turnover hitch to pull a GN. The puck systems will do the same thing, there are balls and hooks for safety chains for them.
The advantage of the puck system is that ALL the weight placed on the hitch is transferred directly to the frame to four points.

With the B&W much of the weight placed on the hitch is carried on the bed floor.

You can buy the factory pucks from Ram and have installed or install yourself.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

With the B&W much of the weight placed on the hitch is carried on the bed floor.

You can buy the factory pucks from Ram and have installed or install yourself.

There is a structural crossmember already in place with a factory hole, all you do on the install is extend that hole through the bed floor.

From what I've seen, DIY install on the factory pucks is a lot more involved than the underbed hitch system.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just recently installed the b&w under bed gooseneck hitch in my 22 ram. I am somewhat handy and had no issues it took a few hours. I need the gooseneck and the 5th wheel hitch both. Had the same in my previous truck so already had the b&w 5th hitch didn't want to have to buy a new base for the hitch to fit pucks and pay for the puck system both. Cheaper for me to just install the B&W underbed. Also putting the wiring connector in the bed was very easy. A variety of manufacturers make a harness that is plug and play. Just need to drill the hole in the side of the bed. Took me about 30 minutes to install that.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Lantley, good idea, I didn't think to check Hensley. The air ride is interesting, does it really improve the ride?

Regarding removal, maybe not plywood, but drywall...you pile a few sheets of drywall on top of a hitch and it won't look like much when you get it home. Also, DW is into restoring furniture...she's excited to have a truck vs. the old Suburban because she can bring home bigger stuff now... [emoticon]

I'm thinking an engine hoist make hitch removal easy, right?

[image]

Yes, they don't call it TrailerSaver for nothing. We have the BD3 Air ride and love it. We arrive with everything in tact and not moved in our FW.

The BD3 and BD5 come apart not requiring a hoist. It can be managed easily by one person, but a partner helps remove it faster.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The only complaint is that it takes 2 people to remove the base."

Gee I had no idea! Guess I have been removing and installing mine wrong all these years with me, myself and I.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Gee I had no idea! Guess I have been removing and installing mine wrong all these years with me, myself and I.

That is because you are a MANS MAN Ron ! ! [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

That is because you are a MANS MAN Ron ! ! [emoticon]

I guess 35 years in Construction helps.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

A Trailer Saver hitch will improve your tow/ride with a fifth wheel as much as your Hensley did vs. a standard hitch, Here are a couple of things to consider:

The Ram puck system sprawls over the bed, wheel well to wheel well. MY Trailer Saver is 21" wide which allows 2"x12" lumber to slide in beside it, both sides. A hitch using the puck system necessitates its removal to use the bed. I've seen some hitches where product could slide under the hitch, but it wouldn't be much.

You can remove and hang a heavy hitch using the trailer's landing gear for those times when you need a full bed. I will say it is a pain to realign and install the hitch if using standard rails. I use this method when I remove the hitch in the fall and install in the spring. I lower the hitch with a hydraulic table and roll it into the garage for winter.

I installed standard hitch rails myself using Curt model specific no drill brackets. The 45 minute job took me 6 hours. It would have gone faster if I had a lift, a helper, and better instructions. Going forward, I would have it done professionally.

Good luck with your choices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er Noob Looking for a Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.