RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anybody launching a boat with a Class A?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Anybody launching a boat with a Class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/22 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was towing and launching my boat, which weighs about 6,500 pounds on the trailer, with a crew cab dually hauling an 11' TC. We sold the TC after our third child was born because it was just too small. I've been looking at older Super C motor homes and it looks like most of them would probably be fine for putting the boat in and out. The body seems to rise up in the rear, I guess to improve departure angel, and the ground clearance is decent for going over the angle where the ramp starts down.
I'm starting to also look at some class As but they look much lower with less ground clearance, break over angle, and departure angle. I'm curious if many people launch and retrieve boats with them.

Taking a second vehicle or having a complete stranger use their truck to launch the boat is not an option. My wife is not comfortable driving much more than the non-towing Suburban. We like to explore lakes that are 3, 5, or even 8 hours from home so making 2 trips their and back is not an option either. I grew up on a farm and spent time as an OTR truck driver so I have no problem maneuvering the rig, just wondering about the physical abilities of one to navigate a boat ramp.

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/22 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed a 22' Sea Ray Bow rider for a few years, launching it with a Monaco Diplomat. The size of the coach can create some issues maneuvering but launching was actually easier. The rear overhang kept the rear wheels and exhaust out of the water. There was never a power or traction issue.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see the rear overhang as an issue...as the ramp drops off, it will simply go out into the air.

The issues would be:
- With the rear overhang high above the pavement, will it raise the front of the trailer high enough that the outboard bottoms out.
- Particularly for a Class A, will the change in slope be great enough that the frame between the axles will bottom out.

Unless it's an extreme overhang, I'm betting most ramps won't be an issue and you can always raise the motor to gain a bit of leeway.

As mentioned, a big turning radius may be more of an issue at smaller ramps.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to launch our boat ( 24 ft) with our Class A. Never had any issues. Depending on what CG we were at, it was sometimes easier having the staff launch and then move the trailer to the storage lot with their tractor since at most places you can't keep the trailer at your site. .

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch "RV goes into lake" on YouTube. Interesting stuff at .50 mark.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've launched our Four Winns several times with our Winnebago, depending on the boat launch it can be a breeze or a big challenge. One of the lakes, a USFS Campground is pretty tight but with a couple of spotters we got it done. At most of the USFS sites I've been to there isn't much space so getting the boat prepped for launch takes place out of the CG. Those gravel boat trailer lots are a challenge moving it by hand.

We've never taken our Jeep along for launching the boat, but if I did I'd still haul the boat with the motorhome and then swap to launch. The second photo was the best place, great approach angle and I was actually able to launch with myself and my young son. That's a rarity.

One campground we were at I watched a very smart older guy with a nice Class A "bribe" a younger guy with a pick up to launch and retrieve his boat. For him each morning/night. Amazing what a case of beer can buy you!

[image]
[image]

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it's pretty workable. I've been watching for just older Super C MHs in order to have enough tow capacity. I'll keep an eye out for As as well. It seems like so many As are designed for just a couple or maybe 4 people. We're a family of 5 so I'm wanting bunk beds.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL we have our 2007 Winnebago 35J which is a bunk model, we're original owners and even though our kids are out on their own we still enjoy it. With the King bed, 2 bunks, couch and dinette that coverts we've had 8 people in ours (couple on the floor) but it worked. Now the bunks are mostly storage for dog kennels and other items when we travel.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can see the boat in your mirrors while dead straight behind you, you should have no issues.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/22 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lake where our family cottage is has 2 or 3 fishing tournaments each year that attract a number of pro and semi-pro fishermen. Several of them arrive in fairly high end motorhomes, and I've noticed that a few have a front hitch installed that they use for launching their boats. Others tow a stacker trailer with their boat on top and a pickup underneath they use for launching.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Anybody launching a boat with a Class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.