RV.Net Open Roads Forum: T@b 400 -- comments by those who've seen it??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> T@b 400 -- comments by those who've seen it??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stumbled across a reference to this new "big teardrop" -- as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a discussion of this model on this forum?? (Please forgive me if I am wrong -- I really did search the archive and came up empty.)

I haven't seen one of these things in person yet -- the pictures and videos are interesting. I'm especially interested in the boondocking model -- the website says it has "pitched axles" -- I have not found a good definition of this feature.

I'm always skeptical of T@bs -- will there be enough headroom for me, at 6'3"? I'm sure this new trailer will be expensive. But it might fill a specific market niche.

If you've seen one of these, your comments will be welcomed! And if you're like me and are just commenting for the heck of it, your comments will be tolerated. [emoticon]

Link to manufacturer's site

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks interesting. I did see the spec shows 79" interior height. I'm sure that's only at the center, but it is 6' 5"

I also found a decent FAQ that lists pitched axle.

Axle Pitches

Each of our axles are little bit different when it comes to the pitch. These pitches help dictate ground clearance in our trailers.

TAB 320 – 10 Up

TAB 320 Boondock – 22.5 Down

TAB 400 – 10 Down

TAB 400 Boondock – 22.5 Down

TAG 5W – 0 deg

TAG 5W Boondock – 22.5 Down

TAG XL – 0 deg

TAG XL Boondock – 22.5 Down

AVIA – 22.5 Down

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That 2800 lb. dry weight is a full 500 pounds heavier than a comparably-sized Escape, Casita or Scamp.

I suspect that you're also getting less usable interior space.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We owned a Tab Outback for a very short time. It was the ruggedized version of the regular Tab. It had a very very small wet bath. A very small fridge, sink, and 2 burner stove. To use the bed slats were put in and the cushions laid down. It had air and a hot water heating system. I can't recall tank capacity but I think they were less than 5 gallons fresh and the same for black and gray combined. It was way to small for us. By contrast we now have a 16 foot Airstream Bambi and love it. It has a lot more usable room.
The Tab 400 is very expensive for what you get. They are no more rugged than anything else. They are a larger version of the Tab Outback.

Lwiddis

Quartzsite, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/22 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The interior workmanship and materials appear very good.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one on order. Pricey but a good fit for our needs. We talked to lots of owners and checked them out in detail. Good fit and finish. They are 7’6” wide as opposed to 7’ for some of their competition. That was a concern for us because we are pulling with an SUV. But we hooked up and looked in the mirrors and it was fine.

High tech appliances including hydronic heat. Not everybody wants that. Basement AC. Nice headroom (I’m tall). They have spent time on the engineering making it so as you fill water tank or add batteries your hitch doesn’t get heavier. (Actually gets slightly lighter).

If you have a healthy budget it’s a nice fit. But there are other less expensive alternatives.

Ours arrives April or May timeframe. The new SUV that pulls it arrives about the same time.

Should be a fun summer. [emoticon].

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of those comments, and congrats to Reisender!! That's an interesting point about the budget and the price -- there are times when "over-spending" is justified.

In this case, there are very few full-featured hard-sided small trailers with decent headroom -- so for those of us (like me) who really want that type of package, a cheaper alternative may be unavailable.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use. I also think I would like the basement air. A new 400 AND SUV hmm 401k must be prospering. Congrats

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks nice for the size.

The difference between the two layouts is extreme...

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/22 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

The heating system is one of the best features but will take some experience in its use. I also think I would like the basement air. A new 400 AND SUV hmm 401k must be prospering. Congrats

Heh hen. [emoticon]. We down sized from a 40 foot diesel pusher. We have plans to go to lots of places we couldn’t get to with the pusher. Should be fun....and cosy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> T@b 400 -- comments by those who've seen it??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.