RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Forum Posting Help and Support: Is this forum dying?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Is this forum dying?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually appreciate the simplicity of this site and lack of bandwidth consuming ads. Some sites have so many video ads along the borders and between posts it bogs down my Kindle Fire. Don't get me started on Facebook.

This site doesn't need fancy features and functions to clutter it up. That's just unnecessary cr@p to impress the user. I pass through here for information and entertainment, not to be impressed by your web developer.

As far as trolls, they come and go. That's the entertainment I mentioned.

What I do find unfortunate is how newbies are treated. I've seen too many ran off by rude comments.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

I-Can-Am-Can-You

Licking County, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again here: Replies with ‘did you use the search function’ and links to keyword searches really hurt this forum. Seems to have improved somewhat as of late, but for a long time this site was most unwelcoming. There’s a collective groan when there’s ‘another tire thread’, for example, but that’s the nature of forums. That’s probably a new problem for a new person who is a newbie camper.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/22 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the early 2000's each manufacturer had 6 or 7 different models available. Making it easy to find others with the same unit. Now we have the big 3. Each have a hundred different models with 4 floor plans for each.
It makes it easier to get what you want but less likely you will have something in common with several others on a relatively small website.

That and the "if it's broke buy new or pay someone else to fix it mentality" out there today reduces the numbers of us that have the ability to or are looking for repair advice.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still check out the posts even though I'm camperless now. But most of my earlier posts were in the toyhauler section and this one. I do agree with Tvov, it would be nicer to be able to post pics without the 10 step process.

But it's still my go to forum for info.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that irks me is asking a question or seeking advice and in a week the post can't be found. This has happened to me several times, they are just GONE.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/22 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

One thing that irks me is asking a question or seeking advice and in a week the post can't be found. This has happened to me several times, they are just GONE.

Most of the time this happens because the post goes sideways and gets moderated.
If the original poster hasn't been back for a week with any response to suggested answers, why would the Moderators take the time to delete the junk posts when it is easier to nuke the whole thread.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I actually appreciate the simplicity of this site and lack of bandwidth consuming ads. Some sites have so many video ads along the borders and between posts it bogs down my Kindle Fire. Don't get me started on Facebook.

This site doesn't need fancy features and functions to clutter it up. That's just unnecessary cr@p to impress the user. I pass through here for information and entertainment, not to be impressed by your web developer.

As far as trolls, they come and go. That's the entertainment I mentioned.

What I do find unfortunate is how newbies are treated. I've seen too many ran off by rude comments.

Yah for sure that last point. When we switched from the big diesel pusher to a teardrop SUV combo we ended up getting to know a few couples with the same or similar combos. We recommended this site for maintenance info etc. Lots of good archives here. They checked it out and the general feeling was that this is a toxic website with nasty rude old coots. We are kind of used to it I guess. But for new comers it’s a bit of a shock. All found Facebook alternatives but in my opinion the archives here have a ton of maintenance info that’s harder to find on Facebook. But really, as all the old guard dies off here I think this site will just fade away. Meh. Times change.

Cheers all.

SageCrispin

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

1492 wrote:

I would say trolls don't go away by themselves. [emoticon]

And we thank you guys for that! But there are plenty of them alive and well on here - I've seen it today in several posts. They operate just within the rules so they can't be touched.
Most of them probably don't even know they've been reduced to troll status and that their post's garner little respect.

There is competition from other RV, camping/travel forums and other social media plus lack of interest and not because of a few trolls. Amazing that a few are freaking out over a few trolls. Go fishing and get a

And there you have it. Anybody says anything and someone has to come back in a very much less than polite manner-"...freaking out...get a..."-and down goes the conversation. Many, myself included, have blamed the heavy handed moderators, but I think it comes down to the membership more-so. My son bought a Forest River and I started checking out their forum. There is far, far less conflict over there. Even though I am a class A owner, the bulk of my RV reading time is spent enjoying their conversations, resulting in much less time spent here.

We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Sage you are way too sensitive and in need of a rewarding fishing trip and get out of that camper. It is calming and good for the soul. Cheers to the brave.

* This post was edited 02/10/22 10:17am by NamMedevac 70 *

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I don't remember from back in the day is so many political posts. And seems like so many of them are "in your face hardballs" name calling and so on.

Even if I agree with a poster's political bent, I find these posts pretty off putting. That is one reason I don't hang around or post much.

Sign of the times I guess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> Is this forum dying?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.