|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have read a number of posts, in different site forums, describing posters hand calculating their mileage.

Some post that they record details at every gas-up and have kept meticulous records since they purchased their trailer/fifth wheel (for years), to show the exact MPG.

I suppose I can understand doing so for a short time after acquiring a particular truck/trailer combo, to then know that combo's MPG, in various conditions.

But, what is the purpose of going beyond that nice to know? And, has doing so caused anyone to change their driving habits or impacted a decision to choose a particular route to their destination?

Just curious.

Marv

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you keep track of your MPG and you notice it decreasing, you know there is a potential problem before it becomes a problem.
Some people just like to keep records and track their expenses. They just add fuel usage to oil changes, etc..
I remember one poster who uses a spread sheet to track their MPG.
That, to me, is overkill. But each to their own.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

Have read a number of posts, in different site forums, describing posters hand calculating their mileage.

Some post that they record details at every gas-up and have kept meticulous records since they purchased their trailer/fifth wheel (for years), to show the exact MPG.

I suppose I can understand doing so for a short time after acquiring a particular truck/trailer combo, to then know that combo's MPG, in various conditions.

But, what is the purpose of going beyond that nice to know? And, has doing so caused anyone to change their driving habits or impacted a decision to choose a particular route to their destination?

Just curious.

Marv

Old Mark Twain proverb "If you have to worry about MPG or have to ask the price of fuel, you probably should give up RVing" [emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/22 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same reason people do many things - because they enjoy it. Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or me, if it makes them happy then have at it.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/22 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

Just curious.

Marv

i 've been noting the odometer mileage on our gas purchase receipts for, well, forever. why? i like knowing. but then i was that kid who kept a ledger for his allowance. [emoticon]

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I happen to be on the far end of that spectrum.

I have kept track of every penny I have ever spent on my truck for 100% of every category since the day it was new, August 15, 2006.
I can tell you exactly how many liters of diesel I have put in it and how many times I've put fuel in it. I have a log book for it all.

I have tracked my MPG since new and can tell you that it has actually gone up in recent years rather than down.

For me, it is my work truck and 100% writeoff at tax time.

So, why do I do it? Because I can, and I enjoy it, I like statistical facts about my own vehicle. I like to know how much life I get out of a set of wiper blades, or a pair of batteries etc etc. I enjoy it. So why not?. I have all the receipts for everything spent too.

One example: My Michelin tires have exactlty 129,571K, or 80,511.68 miles on them. Not bad for an always loaded dually work truck.

Some of you are shaking your head right now, I just know it! [emoticon]

I also found a wonderful, amazing app for Android that helps me keep track of things. I like it so much that I took my paper logs and went back to day 1 and entered everything into the app.

Close studying of this data has taught me the sweet spot of driving speed for my particular rig, where I get the best fuel mileage.

I do it because I'm a geek and I get a kick out of doing stuff like that.[emoticon]

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check it every now and then. No need in adding more stuff to do, especially on a trip. People already take too long after filling up!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not very concerned with my MPG's. If I get courious I may look at the lie o meter on the dash. Oterwise I just fill and go.
In the grand scheme of RV'ing fuel cost is not the deal breaker for me.
It's quite the opposite. I have enough sunken and fixed cost that the cost of fuel become negligible.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recorded date, gallons and location for each time I fueled for the past 10 years and close to 100,000 miles of RV travel. I have to admit that the gallons are the least useful information and I rarely calculate mileage except for average over many fill ups.

What I have found most interesting and useful are the location data. When taking a new trip, it can be interesting to see the routes and times it took for past trips.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't track MPG, never have. I know I need fuel when the needle tells me and I am going to go where I go whatever the cost. Frankly I get a little annoyed that the truck's computer tells me my MPG. There's really nothing I am going to do with this information. There are plenty of dashboard lights and icons to alert me to a problem. Funny, I'm an analyst by trade - specifically in data governance. Maybe being responsible for Billions of pieces of data daily is part of the reason I like to dumb it down in my personal life.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.