|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep track of our long trips. For example. With our 2020 26XD class C on a Ford E450 chassis used about 1,350 gallons of gas on last years 9600 mile cross country trip. We spent about $3700 on gas.
That comes out to 7.1 GPM. The average cost was around $2.75 per gallon.
This year we are planning another cross country trip of roughly the same distance. So out of my new cowboy hat that I bought in Eagle Nest NM on our trip last year picked this years fuel cost as being around $3.75 per gallon. Roughly $1350 more this year. I suspect it will be more though. Anyway, This won't stop us from going, it just means I have work 4 days per week instead of 3 to make up the difference. Retired but healthy knock on wood! For me I like to plan ahead a little.
Oh I also added in another 10% of our campground costs, but that is another thread.

* This post was edited 01/14/22 06:07am by docsouce *

2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also am one of them. I track fuel mileage on all vehicles and on trips I track expenses for fuel, campsites, and total expenses so I know average total cost per day.
I love watching the average campsite cost go down when boondocking! Luckily, I don't have to worry about expenses, it's just fun to me.
On the other hand, we went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta through Fantasy rv Tours last fall, and that $600/night really screwed up the average for that whole trip.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I check it every now and then. No need in adding more stuff to do, especially on a trip. People already take too long after filling up!

Most of my life I have recorded all expenses on my work vehicles, but at the pump I only note the mileage on receipt.
Vehicles that I don't use for work, mostly not that critical. Some, just put $2-3 in every time I use.
My currant pickup, I rarely fill, but mark gallons every time I put in, then total when I do. IMHO, knowing change in fuel consumption is pretty important.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also log each fillup to see if anything is changing. But mpg's are also important to know your range between fillups.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

folivier wrote:

I also log each fillup to see if anything is changing. But mpg's are also important to know your range between fillups.

Best answer yet - my fuel gauge has never been accurate.

108 fill ups, 5473 gallons 47040 miles 8.59 MGP

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
405 Campgrounds,91K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1961 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever I get a new vehicle I check the mpg by pump/odometer readings to see what the mpg runs under various driving conditions. Then I compare that to the vehicle calculated mpg. And on every vehicle the hand calculated mpg has been almost exactly the same as the vehicle calculated mpg. After that, I just watch the vehicle displayed mpg to see if there are any changes. Close enough for me.

Have a good friend, who doesn't even tow, and he logs the date, odometer reading location, gallons purchased, price per gallon, and total price every time he fills up. Been doing that for 50 years. And does nothing with the numbers other than knowing he has them. Somewhat OCD.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used an app called Road Trip. I use it to track the mileage on our daily drivers, as well as our motorhome. I track not only fuel consumption but it reminds me of service intervals and I track all of my expenses in the app. It takes me about 15 seconds to key in the mileage, cost per gallon then add the total as I'm pulling out. It helps make sure I stay up on service of all of our vehicles.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marv,

For my money, Forlivier and RR have the real answer.

For everything I drive, I write the Odo and trip on the receipt. With the light things, it is just to have some idea. But for the coach, I find it essential to know that the engine condition is good (It had trouble a while back) and to know what my real tank range actually is.

We travel with a laptop, and so there is a spreadsheet with the recent fuel data. When I used to coach for business this was important for tax records. While traveling, we find it valuable to know who soon we will need a fuel stop. When in travel mode to get somewhere, we are not the 2-2-2 types, so locating a good fuel stop can make a difference in a days travel.

Most fuel gauges are nearly useless even the ones that I carefully calibrated, the tank shapes just make it that way. If you have an average of a number of fill-ups, this can become very repeatable and dependable. Once we made a mistake and had to buy fuel near the edge of a high price location. After consulting GasBuddy, I loaded exactly the three gallons we needed to be sure to make it to the less expensive fuel. When you buy fuel like we do, pennies mater.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Most fuel gauges are nearly useless even the ones that I carefully calibrated, the tank shapes just make it that way.”
Interesting statement….
Maybe applies to antique vehicles?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like Bobsyouruncle, I use to track every dime I put into my ruck because it was also my work truck. I owned a construction company, so the write-off was substantial.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.