|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

“ Most fuel gauges are nearly useless even the ones that I carefully calibrated, the tank shapes just make it that way.”
Interesting statement….
Maybe applies to antique vehicles?

The gas gauge on our off-road car (CanAm x3) drives me insane. The tank must be shaped like an upside-down letter "L", because it will read nearly full for the first 90 miles, and then start dropping like a rock after that. I have to keep a backup tank under my set just in case. We try to push our rides as far as we can.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Frankly I get a little annoyed that the truck's computer tells me my MPG. There's really nothing I am going to do with this information.

Years ago, I took my young nieces "up the hill" to the snow. We had a great day. When it was time to go home, the computer read that I had about 20 miles til empty. I made a big deal about that to the girls and then said "oh, let's take a risk" and started down the hill without filling up. Over the next 60 miles, every time we'd pass a gas station they'd beg me to stop and fill up. I wouldn't. After we had gotten all the way down, I finally stopped and they practically cheered in relief.

Sometimes, you can have fun with the computer.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

“ Most fuel gauges are nearly useless even the ones that I carefully calibrated, the tank shapes just make it that way.”
Interesting statement….
Maybe applies to antique vehicles?

Remember hearing "Today's space launch has been postponed because of problems with the fuel volume sensors"? After I heard that a few times I thought with all the money they have to spend, and they can't trust their fuel gauge I will not be embarrassed to stick a old CB antenna in mine.
From the time it was new, my pickup will drive much farther from fill-up to 3/4 than from 1/2 to 1/4.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/22 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW gets a receipt for every gas fillip and writes the odometer reading on it. She then puts the receipt in the glove box. She gets really mad if I fill her car and don’t do the same. This goes on for the time she keeps the car. When it come time to trade, I clean out the car and throw out all the trash in the glove box. Not once in all the years has she done anything with the information. This is the same women that complains about the price of gas yet she might drive 1-3 thousand miles a year.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also a bit OCD keeping track of expenses for all my vehicles including where/when/what. If I notice problems/milage that correlates to specific station or brand ion gas I avoid them. If I see a tread down that doesn't relate to seasons I start looking for something wrong. If I have a failure of a part or tire I can see if it happened before and when, etc. I have done this since my first car. First car was a little different since I did all the service and the fuel gauge didn't work so it was mostly to figure out when I needed to fill the tank. Since smart phones (iPhone for me) I have used an inexpensive app called "Road Trip" lets you keep track of multiple vehicles, does cheats and graphs of expenses and milage plus place to keep extra info on your vehicle like insurance, vin numbers etc. You can backup to Dropbox, a computer or mail. You can also setup for reminders for oil changes and other maintenance.

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/22 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, for the replies. Interesting reading.

The last time we acquired a new truck/trailer combo (ten years ago, and recently ordered a new truck), I logged each gas stop along our usual route (because of a grand-daughter who demands my attendance!!! at least until she gets into her teen years, we now only vacation/drive to/from Vancouver, B.C. and Denver, Co.), just to give me an idea of the fuel cost/miles per tank for the, then, new truck. Never kept those records and never recorded after that.

When the new truck (current is a GMC 1500 6.2 gas, new will be GMC 2500 6.6 gas) arrives, I will likely log gas stops on the first trip, again just to give me an idea of fuel costs/miles per tank for such a trip.

As my new purchase will be locked in for at least 5 years, mpg becomes moot to me, as it will be what it will be.

Having said all that, I understand the various reasons given by others, and certainly don't knock anyone for those reasons.

Thanks again for all the replies,

Marv

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/22 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

.....mpg becomes moot to me, as it will be what it will be.

I am not a fanatic about mileage, but I have found that paying attention can make a considerable change. I live on the East coast and really like the southwest and western US. My RV trips tend to last for several weeks or months and average about 12,000 miles. Paying attention and adjusting my driving can have a huge effect on mileage/fuel costs.

For example, on the open road, I have found a sweat spot driving about 60-65 mph. I gain little at 55 or so and lose a lot at 70 or so. I tend to make some adjustment with headwinds/tailwinds and other conditions. I don't want to doddle on the highway but I also hate to see my mileage drop from 14-16 to 10-12. Often the cost savings are worth a few extra minutes of driving a day to make up for a lower speed.

After years and tens of thousands of miles of RV travel, I must admit that recording fuel purchases makes little sense. It is now just more of a habit. I do like being able to look back and see dates and places for my previous trips. A simpler ships log would probably make more sense. I also reset the trip odometer at the start of every trip. Again, there is no reason except just curiosity.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

marpel wrote:

.....mpg becomes moot to me, as it will be what it will be.

I am not a fanatic about mileage, but I have found that paying attention can make a considerable change. I live on the East coast and really like the southwest and western US. My RV trips tend to last for several weeks or months and average about 12,000 miles. Paying attention and adjusting my driving can have a huge effect on mileage/fuel costs.

For example, on the open road, I have found a sweat spot driving about 60-65 mph. I gain little at 55 or so and lose a lot at 70 or so. I tend to make some adjustment with headwinds/tailwinds and other conditions. I don't want to doddle on the highway but I also hate to see my mileage drop from 14-16 to 10-12. Often the cost savings are worth a few extra minutes of driving a day to make up for a lower speed.

After years and tens of thousands of miles of RV travel, I must admit that recording fuel purchases makes little sense. It is now just more of a habit. I do like being able to look back and see dates and places for my previous trips. A simpler ships log would probably make more sense. I also reset the trip odometer at the start of every trip. Again, there is no reason except just curiosity.

Your observation sums it up for me as well. Why track and generate a lot of data MPG data that is of no real benefit?
The data will not impact my driving style or camping destinations.
THe data will not influence my fuel purchases.
Now I get it some of us get pleasure out of knowing all of this data, but I would rather just enjoy the drive vs. analyzing the drive

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't stress over MPG, but I have checked that my "Lie-O-Meter" is pretty accurate. So I do reset the DIC at each Fuel-Up just to make sure there isn't any big change to indicate a possible problem.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because our current (and for the foreseeable future) trip(s) are on the same route to/from the same destination, we have become comfortable stopping in the same general locations for gas/food/rest etc. Perhaps due to that, I don't pay attention to gas prices.

In fact, if I knew a certain gas station down the road at one location had a few cents less per gallon, I doubt I would deviate for the relatively low savings. With our current set-up, those stops reflect what distance I know I can safely travel with the gas in the tank.

As previously mentioned, when the new truck arrives, I will compile details from the first run and only use that to determine where the future scheduled stops will be.

Even driving around my local area (the truck is also a daily driver), I never pay attention to gas prices and just buy gas when I need it.

Having said all that, prior to ordering the current and soon to be trucks, I spent a gazillion hours researching every component/option/make/model of the anticipated purchases. Now there is where I "enjoy" meticulous research and compilation of data.

Marv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Calculated MPG
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.