|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3d printers for making stuff for the RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/22 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

2112 wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

mine broke today, having withdrawal issues since parts won't be here till monday.
Ouch. What broke?

Mine is 6 years old without issue other than early on the X axis belt pulley slipping on the stepper shaft, causing X shift. The tiny set screws kept backing out. A dab of VC3 took care of that but I doubt I'll ever get them back out.

extruder tensioning arm, known issue on mine, also have replaced fans a couple times (going to ball bearing) and a z limit switch issue.

is what it is i guess. printer has about 500 hours on it.

the real amazement is not the printer, but once you can design, the world it opens up, is crazy.

I also design for money and have one product on amazon now, and soon to add more.

I ordered the BMG clone from diamondlabs in antisapation of that going on mine. so far I have put the dual Z screw kit in, added a bl touch, doing the extruder and when I can find a raspberry pi in stock I am going to add octiprint and change to liniear rails. I am also starting to source parts to build a voron 2.4 and add a second printer.

Steve

Mine is not modified much, spring, capricon, a modified extruder guide for TPU, and bl touch, and ubl with jyers.

It prints amazing. I have 0 reason to change anything at this point.

IDK if I want to go full custom like a voron, I tried octoprint, its nice, but surprisingly i print predominantly from the SD card.

if your going with a pi, look at klipper.

ya I looked up the most comon issues with the printer I ordered. so because of the large beed width the arm tends to float a little when bening driven on the z axis and the dual axis kit eleminited this. for 50 bucks a no brainer. Mine came with the Capricon, the good bed springs but still had the single drive plastic extruder that are so famous on cracking. the BL touch I wanted just because it works so good. I have done 20 prints now with out even caring about my bed leveling. I still check it to make sure it hasn't realy moved much and I will relevel it if it does, but now I am thinking of solid mounting it with alumium spacers and shims.

Octprint I want one for conveniance, I am sitting upstairs on my laptop and my printer is down stairs so with that I can just send a print to it and check in on the laptop once and a while. plus there are some nice plugin features for it.

does Klipper have many benefits other than just being built for faster printing? I am looking at that or RepRap

I have read Klipper is faster and reduces ringing, you can add a 3 point gyro as well, to help deal with resonance.

I do UBL with a 15x15 mesh build. on my plate that's about 127 points.

that said I did 100 prints without a level, then did one for giggles. It was barely off. BLtouch was huge for me, my printer uses a limit switch for z, which is not accurate enough, i was always playing with live z. since the bl touch. i haven't touch it once.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/22 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For all of you that have not been following This Thread on DIY Sub Forum, I thought I might come on over to the Tech Issues sub Forum and share on this thread for those who haven't.

LittleBill has been working on this for a while and I have completed the Beta test of the 3d printed water fill adapter.

Now for the disclaimer and to hopefully stay within the Forum Rules.
I have no financial stake in this and no one has twisted my arm to make any remarks that are not my mine.

These are the adapters.
[image]
They seemed well made and robust.
[image]
This is my fill spout
[image]
This is installed,I had to wiggle a bit to get it seated,just line up tabs,turn about 1/4 turn clockwise and it seated tight on the fill spout,no wiggle at all.

The hose threads fit the hose end perfect
[image]
But as I have done on my city water inlet I put a 90 degree fitting on to decrease the strain on the inlet. With a quick dis connect that I use on all my hoses,filter and regulator.
[image]

And this is installed
[image]

When filled the water comes out the holes,not a big spray and much nicer than the hose thing I used before.
[image]

This is so much better than the other types of devices that I have used to fill my gravity fill fresh water tank,it filled faster with less mess,just unhook and stow it away,one of the best purchases that I have made for my RV.

Thanks LittleBill for all your hard work!

* This post was last edited 03/10/22 06:35pm by IAMICHABOD *   View edit history

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/22 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks IAMICHABOD,

Appreciate the kind words.

Never thought I would be in a place where I could design and print something out of thin air.

3d printing really has opened a new world for me.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/22 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill,Your welcome.
I finally had a chance to try it on a neighbors RV with a fill spout like mine and it fit just fine.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/22 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

LittleBill,Your welcome.
I finally had a chance to try it on a neighbors RV with a fill spout like mine and it fit just fine.

Nice!

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/22 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill,

They arrived today...no discernible difference on fit. I tried on an older 5th wheel and a newer class C motorhome. They both worked flawlessly on both water fill fittings. Both screwed onto a brass hose fitting perfectly.
Thanks, they are going to work well!!!

Housted

2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 CTD Tow Rig Integrated ball with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th - 4 Pt Leveling, Disk Brakes, 1050 W Solar,
300 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter
  • pic
    Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.

• wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently did some "research" on 3-d Printers

There are two types
    The filiment type use a coil of plastic "Rod" that they melt and deposit. the problems are 1: the finish is kind of rough (though they are improving that) and the plastic has a fairly low melting point.. set a 3-d Printed part on a dash it might look like an S. Dali painting when you get back to it (melted)

Resin printers are better with high temp enviorments but the resin is hazmat. and you need to print (Very fine finish) then wash, dispose of the wash materials and waste as haz-mat. work under a vent hood (lab hood) and so on... Not something for the average home. (If I built a house I'd consider a resin printer station because they are the better printer but alas... not happening.)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
    2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
    after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
    Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Housted wrote:

Bill,

They arrived today...no discernible difference on fit. I tried on an older 5th wheel and a newer class C motorhome. They both worked flawlessly on both water fill fittings. Both screwed onto a brass hose fitting perfectly.
    Thanks, they are going to work well!!!

Housted

Thanks Housted! Glad they are working out well!

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

There are two types
    The filiment type use a coil of plastic "Rod" that they melt and deposit. the problems are 1: the finish is kind of rough (though they are improving that) and the plastic has a fairly low melting point.. set a 3-d Printed part on a dash it might look like an S. Dali painting when you get back to it (melted)

Resin printers are better with high temp enviorments but the resin is hazmat. and you need to print (Very fine finish) then wash, dispose of the wash materials and waste as haz-mat. work under a vent hood (lab hood) and so on... Not something for the average home. (If I built a house I'd consider a resin printer station because they are the better printer but alas... not happening.)

FDM (rod) or SLA (resin) printers both have strength and weakness. It completely depends on what you need. There is no "better" overall printer, only specific tasks.

SLA is generally used for hi definition/quality prints, think figurines. They require more work to process as mentioned. The home size printers are also very small printers, they do not produce large prints unless you buy expensive versions. They are also less strong then FDM printers. They generally "print" faster then FDM, and it costs more in materials to print with them. As stated the rooms need to be vented with using this stuff, and gloves and masks are required as the stuff is toxic.

FDM printers are much larger by default, generally don't require any post processing, and can make a variety of different prints, using different filament such as PLA TPU ABS PETG ASA and NYLON to name a few. ASA parts can withstand dashboard temperatures or even under the hood temperatures ( again you have to use the correct filament for the job you need). FDM does leave "layers" but can produce some very nice parts, tolerances can be tight as well I am consistently under .02mm in accuracy. Print times are generally slow, and can take hours to days to print a single item.

Hope that helps anyone considering one

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/22 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

they do print better but you have to watch out. strengh wise the filiment printers win hands down depending on the type of filiment you use, but yes the resin printers are very cool for print quality out of the box.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
    2016 Cougar 330RBK
    1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 13  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3d printers for making stuff for the RV
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.