|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3d printers for making stuff for the RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a magnetic spring pei sheet glued to borosilicate glass, easily the best thing i ever bought for PETG, i hate glue and hairspray, pei took me from a 99% failure rate on the glass bildtek sheet, to 100% success (well 99%) after today.

that said cranking the bed up 10c seems to have stopped the warp. you can actually see it in the layer lines, where it squared back up

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the printers at work have flexible build plates. It's nice to just give them a little twist and the part pops off.

I'm sure what the Stratasys' plates are coated with but they work real nice. All automated, never fail.

We have to use blue tape on the Makerbot's.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

I am using petg here. that said I do have touch of warp in 3 corners, i turned the bed up a touch. hopefully it stays in place. its over half a roll of filament for it.

is that garolite?

Hairspray cured my warping on big prints.

what are you making a base for a light?

i despise glue and hairspray. I understand a lot of people use it, If it fails i will run a hotter bed. this is the first failed print, in the last 100, (also my largest)

if you look back the post with pictures, there is a link to what its for. its a base for an autoformer.

ya I won't use glue, I only started using hairspray as I maxed out my bed temp and was still getting a bit of end warp but I was making long skinny things. it did allow me to drop bthe bed temp down to 80 with PETG. I did just recive PEI beds so mayby I can ditch the hairspray now also.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

I use a magnetic spring pei sheet glued to borosilicate glass, easily the best thing i ever bought for PETG, i hate glue and hairspray, pei took me from a 99% failure rate on the glass bildtek sheet, to 100% success (well 99%) after today.

thats good to hear, what bed temp are you running with your PEI? I ordered the spring steel magnetic sherrts with the rough powder coated on one side and the smooth on the other side.

steve

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

thats good to hear, what bed temp are you running with your PEI? I ordered the spring steel magnetic sherrts with the rough powder coated on one side and the smooth on the other side.

steve

depends what I am printing on it. for petg, I was sitting at 85 first layer, 80 second layer+. that failed about 50 layers in on the large print, but was successful for 99% of my smaller stuff. I moved it to 90C for the remainder of the print (still going by the way), and it completely stopped the warp, you can see it in the layer lines.

when I printed ASA they recommend 75-95. but everyone said use 105/110 which I did, and that worked great as well.

the only other print surface I am interested in trying is g10, IDK if I will go back to glass bildtek. the pla doesn't stick as well as petg to it (pei sheet), and when transition between the 2 on the same sheet, i get bad surface layers for a while, till its completely transition.

that said i don't really print pla anymore. I have not tried tpu yet on PEI either. I may go back to the glass black sticker sheet for those. it just requires a new bed mesh when I do.

* This post was edited 04/04/22 12:10pm by LittleBill *

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, I'm just the opposite. I started off using Aquanet. I had to chisel parts off and clean off the buildup. Didn't like spraying the hairspray in the house.

Moved to Kapton. Worked well but had to remove it to print nylon. That introduced me to purple glue stick. Super quick and simple and doesn't require forcing parts off.

As I learned and my process evolved, got my bed completely level and locked in place, I realized I didn't always require heating the plate and prepping the glass. Most anything small other than nylon will hold on cold, clean glass. Everything large holds to purple glue stick other than ABS.

My experience with a non-flexible PEI plate was disappointing. Back to chiseling, but this time while it's still on the printer. I felt like I was beating up my printer. I couldn't remove that PEI plate.

So back to glass and glue stick for me

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the flex is what makes it amazing, remove it, and slightly bend it while spinning it around, comes off in seconds. not banging on the printer at all. i use nothing but alcohol between prints.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I might upgrade to magnetic flex PEI someday. I have everything tweaked in now so I'm not messing with anything until I have to.

I didn't mention the glue stick is $1 per year investment

I use to occasionally clean the glass with vinegar but I don't even do that anymore

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know your a big fan of ABS, i see you have the enclosure do you vent it? I know the ASA smelled the room up. I did just buy a air filter, even though I primarily print with PETG. IDK

Air Quality by filament

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vent it if it gets too hot inside. Some ABS has a stronger chemical smell than others. It's never been bad enough for concern but it does have a smell. I'm using Shaxon now. It's not bad at all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 3d printers for making stuff for the RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.