|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5th Wheel Bike carrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/22 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

All very good info,I also have a Swagman RV Approved, a very well made bike rack. Not to hi-jack the thread but as a side note that may be helpful.

They bounce a lot and if the rack is not tight in the receiver that added movement only amplifies that bounce.Stressing not only the mounting point but also the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. I have a whole tool box full of them.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider. This will keep everything tight.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

My Swagman has a threaded bolt for the receiver that keeps it tight. I thought all Swagman's did.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/22 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

My Swagman has a threaded bolt for the receiver that keeps it tight. I thought all Swagman's did.

My Swagman has a Threaded Bolt,but no matter how tight you can get it there is still some movement in the receiver,the Hitch Rider eliminates all movement.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/22 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

way2roll wrote:

My Swagman has a Threaded Bolt,but no matter how tight you can get it there is still some movement in the receiver,the Hitch Rider eliminates all movement.

Interesting. Never had that issue. Mine is rock solid.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/22 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought one of these.
The Swagman I wanted wasn't available, and this one was. It turns out we are very happy with it. Our ebikes or the rack do not move when everything is tightened down.

I am not as happy with the cover we bought, but it works.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/22 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure what kind of carrier but to avoid the bouncing it would be subject to on the back of trailer I would look at making a mount for the pin box, haul on the front of trailer.

Definitely attaching to the pin box makes a lot of sense. Only downside is if you aren't tall, you may need to stand in the truck bed to hand them down but otherwise absolutely solid place to attach the rack and negligible bouncing compared to the rear bumper.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure what kind of carrier but to avoid the bouncing it would be subject to on the back of trailer I would look at making a mount for the pin box, haul on the front of trailer.

Definitely attaching to the pin box makes a lot of sense. Only downside is if you aren't tall, you may need to stand in the truck bed to hand them down but otherwise absolutely solid place to attach the rack and negligible bouncing compared to the rear bumper.

You tall enough to load/unload from the truck bed? Pull out but stop where can stand on tailgate to move bikes to bed of truck. Pull out to get room, put them on the ground.
Now while you are thinking that is PITA, mounted on the rear it is easier for somebody else to unload them.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On top of making sure it doesn’t bounce (even ones made for trailer use) get a rear view camera to watch the bikes!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/22 05:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

You tall enough to load/unload from the truck bed? Pull out but stop where can stand on tailgate to move bikes to bed of truck. Pull out to get room, put them on the ground.
Now while you are thinking that is PITA, mounted on the rear it is easier for somebody else to unload them.

Assuming there isn't a big slope to the site, I could reach them from the ground but yeah, some people won't be tall enough.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/22 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

[emoticon]

Mmmkay….

Well there are many of us who carry our bikers on the pin box! I got it all cut and took to a wielder and had it wielded. Our bikes are lite and easy to lift to the rack, you can also first put in the bed of the truck, then into the rack.
Now I can watch my bikes ride smoothly down the road.

[image]

[image]

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/22 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

[emoticon]

Mmmkay….

Well there are many of us who carry our bikers on the pin box! I got it all cut and took to a wielder and had it wielded. Our bikes are lite and easy to lift to the rack, you can also first put in the bed of the truck, then into the rack.
Now I can watch my bikes ride smoothly down the road.

[image]

[image]

Not sure about you guys but the front of my FW is coated with bugs and road debris. I certainly don't want my expensive bikes exposed to that. To each his own. But but my Swagman has served me well for 10 years. On the back of 2 MH's and more recently the FW. I will say though that recently I installed fork mounts in my bins and they go in there now. Feel much better with $10k worth of bikes out of sight and out of the elements tucked away in the basement.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5th Wheel Bike carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.