|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian Electric Truck takes on the Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 sides to the EV argument: 1) society as a whole should embrace this new and excellent technology, works great for 99% commuters; and 2) stop trying to convince THIS crowd, as RV towing is the very last target of the EV market.

Electric chainsaws - great for the homeowner, camper, etc. Instant start, low noise, cuts enough to build a campfire.

But, wouldn't convince a west coast production logger falling 40"+ old growth to switch any time soon. For his use, the 95cc+ ported smoky stinky 2-stroke work wonders. Both production falling and 20k 5th wheel towing through the Rockies are specialized markets, let traditional tech serve this market until new tech catches up in a decade or 2.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Well put and far more succinctly than I managed!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

No PU (not a Rivian or a diesel crew cab) has a large enough cabin (temp controlled) to transport 6-8 crated medium sized dogs plus a driver and passenger.

Even though PUs don’t meet my needs I don’t write off them as a possibly useful TV for others with different priorities. Clearly some here have decided the Rivian is useless for everyone as a TV since it doesn’t meet their needs.

“Can’t possibly work for someone else since it doesn’t work for me”

I don’t think anyone is actually saying that, save for maybe trying to make a point to those who hold EVs in higher regard than they have capability to back it up with.
Just like the 90% commuter argument.
If I don’t “need” my big dumb jacked up diesel 90% of the time, I also don’t get to haul my camper EVER.
If the electric chainsaw would cut 90% of the trees (it won’t but let’s say there was a real electric power saw and not just the little toy ones) but leaves the biggest and most expensive trees in the woods, it is of 0 use to the logger unless he packs in 2 saws every day. (Different situation than a car as a chain saw isn’t a huge purchase, but same principle.)

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

specta wrote:

Electric vehicles are going to save the planet just like plastic bags and plastic straws did.

Not unless everyone gets on board
Ever been to India

https://youtu.be/WsSJvfpehAk

The isn't India.

I would like to see a subdivision that its electric grid is capable of charging an electric car if they're in every garage.

Last year there were areas in CA that people were asked to not charge their electric cars due to a shortage of electricity.

People are putting the cart before the horse with electric vehicles.

[image]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO this is the best use of a coal mine

Former Coal Mine Will House New Pumped-Hydro Storage Project

Underground Hydro-Pumped Energy Storage Using Coal Mine Goafs

And other shaft mines
Mine Water for the Generation and Storag........wable Energy: A Hybrid Hydro–Wind System

To aid in decreasing the need to use fossil fuel to power the grid making EVs cleaner.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

free radical wrote:

specta wrote:

Electric vehicles are going to save the planet just like plastic bags and plastic straws did.

Not unless everyone gets on board
Ever been to India

https://youtu.be/WsSJvfpehAk

The isn't India.

I would like to see a subdivision that its electric grid is capable of charging an electric car if they're in every garage.

Last year there were areas in CA that people were asked to not charge their electric cars due to a shortage of electricity.

People are putting the cart before the horse with electric vehicles.

[image]

Maybe we should invest in infrastructure to improve peoples lives instead of wasting money on military hardware,and wars
that only makes the rest of the world hate Us.

https://youtu.be/27bY0jtRWi8

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we can become weak like all the other countries yet be able to drive around in electric cars.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Yea OK so CA has been asking people to conserve energy in the afternoon since at least the 1960s.
Normal and ordinary. EVERY utility has this issue as a natural use daily cycle.

http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx

Lack of generating capacity is actually quite rare in CA.

Also note that coal is 0.1% in CA.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nancy No No syndrome is strong here. Soooo proud of our American "can do" attitude. LOL

We are only at the beginning of this new way of day to day life. Long way to go, but we WILL go. That said, all the BS on both sides here has very little to do with RVing.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adam R wrote:

So, the truck goes from 100% to 15% of charge and then up to 52% of charge at a cost of $17.36 in Dillon. It then goes back down to 16% on the return trip to Denver. Let's assume it can get back up to 100% of charge for $34 on the second charge so the cost from Denver to Dillon and back is $51 in round numbers. The round trip mileage is 140 miles. So the cost of electricity is roughly $0.36 per mile. My 2019 Ford diesel could pull that same route and easily average 10mpg round trip so I would burn 14 gallons of diesel for that same trip. At $3.50 per gallon, my fuel cost would be $49 or $0.35 per mile. While not against an electric vehicle, the justification is far from being a slam dunk at this time. Plus, I could pull twice that weight, have 5 times the range when empty and fill ups take 5 minutes. I'll keep my Ford for now. Adam

These are the kinds of numbers most people (especially plug in electric) flag wavers don’t want to hear!
While I’m not against electric cars (I have training in repairing them) they are in their infancy and will take a long time to make a hard showing in the market as an alternative to the ICE!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian Electric Truck takes on the Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.