RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: TPMS: What's the latest?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> TPMS: What's the latest?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a Dill TPMS on my TT when I upgraded to LT tires about 10 years ago. The system uses special metal valve stems with internal sensors, and at the time, the internal sensors were best for reporting both temp and pressure.
Looking at a TPMS system for the new 5er and I see now on Amazon that there are a wide variety of systems with external valve-cap sensors...anybody have any experience with any of these? How accurate is the tire temp using an external sensor?

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the TST 507… LOVE IT

This is it - TST 507

Shop around, deals can be found

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get external (cap type) make sure you get or have metal valve stems! The extra weight or stress can Crack the stems.
Don't ask how I know.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing you'll want to do is remove the anti-theft device from the sensor. It makes it a real pita to put air in the tire.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been very satisfied with my EEZRV monitor. No repeater required (but is available if needed), it picks up pressure from all the tires on my 28 ft Class C (including the spare) without a repeater. It's easy to set high/low pressure and temperature warnings.

https://eezrvproducts.com/

Batteries in the sensors last me around 18 months. I just use the regular cap style sensors, but flow-thru sensors are available so you can fill the tire without removing the sensor.

I doubt the temperature is super accurate at reflecting the real temperature of the tire itself (since it's sensing it from the end of the valve stem), but you can tell if one tire is running hotter than the others.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the TST507 with screw on sensors and wasn’t quite sure how the temperature was derived with those spinning in free air. But I didn’t care about the absolute temperature, only if one was significantly different than the others.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

If you get external (cap type) make sure you get or have metal valve stems! The extra weight or stress can Crack the stems.
Don't ask how I know.

Good Point about Metal stems... I already had metal valve stems so it was a non issue for me..

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/22 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

The first thing you'll want to do is remove the anti-theft device from the sensor. It makes it a real pita to put air in the tire.
I use the 507 cap sensor due to it's lighter weight and it does have to be removed to add air. Mine use a simple nut to tighten as the anti-theft aspect and are easy to tighten/loosen with the supplied wrench. The nut remains on the stem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CabinetmakerII

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/22 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 14 tires on the ground. I have a dually, 5th wheel, and a cargo trailer in tow. I LOVE my TST 507 TPMS. My biggest issue so far was repositioning the caps after I had my tires rotated. Particularly on the inside dual tires.

Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

I had the TST507 with screw on sensors and wasn’t quite sure how the temperature was derived with those spinning in free air. But I didn’t care about the absolute temperature, only if one was significantly different than the others.
The free air reduces the sensor temperature and even more so with metal stems. I've measured 20-50 degree differences. This is based on internal sensors with non replacable batteries that were not replaced during the last tire replacement. The psi difference between the 2 systems varied by 1 psi.

I suspect TST adjusts for the temperature and it's a non issue. One possible clue is that they recommend to not change the maximum axle temperature while setting up the initial high and low axle psi values. They don't state the reason for this recommendation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> TPMS: What's the latest?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.