|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge all in on electric too 500 mile range Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Except, it's often the main feed to the park that is limited. 2-3 fast charging stations may require an additional 400-500amps with a main feed that is already struggling during peak summer conditions.
Yes and that would be part of the install if that is what the business determined was the best and most profitable plan.

Take a look at a fast charger area. Virtually all have a main transformer dropped right there for what is needed.
Don't forget the utility actually likes to expand their business. Not an issue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I can’t see the need for a fast charge station in an RV park. Fast chargers are needed for road trips. People are usually in a park for a day or more.

Jmho.

Full timers...parking for a day or more is very much true but even there if it's a 30amp site, they may struggle to refill the battery bank...particularly if they take the truck out sight seeing during the off day.

Working stiffs with a week off frequently drive 500-750 miles and get up the next day to do it again...think a Chicago area family doing a week in Florida.

Yah that wouldn’t work for sure on a 30 amp site. Even on a fifty amp site an overnight charge would be marginal on a truck battery. I suppose the alternative there would be to either charge before shutting it down for the day or go to a fast charger in the morning.

If it was me in that kind of a regular use situation I would probably go with a diesel with those kind of distances. Our coach had a huge tank. Our old powerstroke could go a long ways on a tank. Great truck. Then again a long day for us was like 600 kilometres soooo. [emoticon].

Cheers.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Except, it's often the main feed to the park that is limited. 2-3 fast charging stations may require an additional 400-500amps with a main feed that is already struggling during peak summer conditions.
Yes and that would be part of the install if that is what the business determined was the best and most profitable plan.

Take a look at a fast charger area. Virtually all have a main transformer dropped right there for what is needed.
Don't forget the utility actually likes to expand their business. Not an issue.

Most fast chargers are in built up areas.

Sure utilities love to charge for expanding the grid...problem is RV parks aren't so profitable to be able to absorb six figure upgrades for the main feed in most cases.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I can’t see the need for a fast charge station in an RV park. Fast chargers are needed for road trips. People are usually in a park for a day or more.

Jmho.

Full timers...parking for a day or more is very much true but even there if it's a 30amp site, they may struggle to refill the battery bank...particularly if they take the truck out sight seeing during the off day.

Working stiffs with a week off frequently drive 500-750 miles and get up the next day to do it again...think a Chicago area family doing a week in Florida.

Yah that wouldn’t work for sure on a 30 amp site. Even on a fifty amp site an overnight charge would be marginal on a truck battery. I suppose the alternative there would be to either charge before shutting it down for the day or go to a fast charger in the morning.

If it was me in that kind of a regular use situation I would probably go with a diesel with those kind of distances. Our coach had a huge tank. Our old powerstroke could go a long ways on a tank. Great truck. Then again a long day for us was like 600 kilometres soooo. [emoticon].

Cheers.

Sure, we could get away with a 500mile range as we like to keep travel days down around 100-200 miles and usually do not travel multiple days in a row.

But we also recognize that we are far from the typical RVer, so if this discussion is about changes to the larger RV world, even a 500mile range truck (not towing) is going to have a very limited market as an RV tow vehicle.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Jmho.

Cheers.

Sure, we could get away with a 500mile range as we like to keep travel days down around 100-200 miles and usually do not travel multiple days in a row.

But we also recognize that we are far from the typical RVer, so if this discussion is about changes to the larger RV world, even a 500mile range truck (not towing) is going to have a very limited market as an RV tow vehicle.

Yah could be. I’m pretty sure we are probably not in the norms either as when we are touring we like to be on the road at 11 and off the road by 1 or 2. Although I would say there are a lot of weekend campers here that are on the road by 5 on Friday night and setup and camping by 7 with the first beer well on its way to the recycling bin. But we live in a place where if you travel two hours you probably passed 20 amazing camping and hiking areas.

But yah. EV tow vehicles will work for a certain crowd. Not everybody.

Cheers.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Most fast chargers are in built up areas.

Sure utilities love to charge for expanding the grid...problem is RV parks aren't so profitable to be able to absorb six figure upgrades for the main feed in most cases.
Often enough the upgrade of the main feed is brought in by the utility as part of the rate structure.
If the business plans to lose money on deals they will soon be out of business. I will leave that to the business owner to decide if they want to move forward.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Geezus the whole CG doesn't have to upgrade tomorrow. Upgrade 2-3 spots for EV's and that should cover the trend for the next 5 years or whatever. Honestly how many EV'ers are going to buy a trailer to camp with anyways? Probably very few in the next 5 years.

Jmho.
People will need to use their EV to tour even if they are there for multiple days. Very few RV parks are destinations to themselves. When the EV is on site, so are the occupants and that is when they want and need the RV to be powered. The need to have the RV connected and the EV charging is almost always going to be simultaneous. The notion you can juggle connecting one and not the other wouldn’t work for the vast majority of people.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

They are going to have to pry my hands off the steering wheel of my ICE truck before I go electric.

Same here as this is so phony. They act like they are saving the Earth but in reality they sure are not.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Geezus the whole CG doesn't have to upgrade tomorrow. Upgrade 2-3 spots for EV's and that should cover the trend for the next 5 years or whatever. Honestly how many EV'ers are going to buy a trailer to camp with anyways? Probably very few in the next 5 years.

Jmho.
People will need to use their EV to tour even if they are there for multiple days. Very few RV parks are destinations to themselves. When the EV is on site, so are the occupants and that is when they want and need the RV to be powered. The need to have the RV connected and the EV charging is almost always going to be simultaneous. The notion you can juggle connecting one and not the other wouldn’t work for the vast majority of people.

Yah could be. It hasn’t been an issue for anyone we know or ourselves but honestly we don’t charge that much in campgrounds. Really, it’s usually not a big deal to just jump on a supercharger for 15 or 20 minutes while we are out and about. But I get that infrastructure is still a challenge in some areas.

Infrastructure takes time. It’ll come.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many EV trucks are not the road today?

Kind of a cart before the horse problem...

One of the biggest challenges for EV's is that the infrastructure is taking more time to update than the manufacturers are to develop and people to buy. So in the US our current administration is going above and beyond to change that. The incentives to install charging stations, and the push to put them everywhere is very real and growing. If you own a campground and the government will pay you to upgrade your electric grid if you put in a few charging areas, stations, or pedestals, will you? My guess is that is why KOA is doing it. Get the free money while you can!!

Unlike an ICE vehicle that has to go to a gas station to fill up, an EV can recharge at home, work, grocery store, gas station. What about rest stop, restaurant, charging pads can be installed where you stop anyway, what about a charging road? They built one in Sweden and I think another one is coming in Europe, not far off in the US and Canada. This "new" technology is taking us by storm and everyone (maybe not if your older...) will be driving one eventually. They might take off like the cell phone... (anyone not have a cell phone?)

If you have an RV now and you are pulling it with a truck, you stop to get gas before you get to the campground - or you look at your range and determine if you have enough to do what you need to do before the next fill up. Why would this be any different with an EV - oh yeah, you can fill up at the campground, unlike an ICE.... If you are staying somewhere for a few days, who's to say you can't just plug in at night. Would an overnight slow charge be enough to reduce range anxiety? Do you need a fast charge? There is probably one down the road, at the truck stop or rest stop, or maybe a gas station on your travels the next day. If it's a fast charge, how long will it take? I don't know the answer, but maybe long enough to make breakfast or lunch in your trailer.

My point, the infrastructure is changing as is the vehicle market. We have now had posts for upcoming EV's from Ford, Chevy, Ram, Rivian, and others to meet the demands of people who use trucks. My guess is these manufacturers are a better bet than the few that say "I will never buy an EV". Wait until the anti Autonomous Driving crowd chimes in...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge all in on electric too 500 mile range Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.