|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge all in on electric too 500 mile range Ram

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a lot more than meets the eye to upgrade from standard 50A service in new or existing campground construction to have a metered charging station.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

There is a lot more than meets the eye to upgrade from standard 50A service in new or existing campground construction to have a metered charging station.

Yah. A meter on every site? Ugh. A flat fee based on vehicle size seems soooo much easier. Something like SUV’s 25 bucks. Trucks, 50 bucks or whatever they figure out.

Really curious how KOA will do it. I wonder if they’ll bring in a third party like chargepoint to look after the billing. That way it’s just an app. Swipe the phone, done. Charge away.

Interesting times.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone seems to wonder how the RV parks are going to do this and if they can and what will they charge..................... They will do it for the bucks simple as that and you will pay more and they will do it as needed.... case closed.
Seems like a lot of folks are worried that the RV parks are going to lose .... not happening, don't worry yourself.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The charging station has an internal meter and automatic billing. Camp would then share the revenue.
Or they could create their own network.

And of course plenty of monthly rentals already have a submeter to bill electric usage as part of the contract.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Really curious how KOA will do it. I wonder if they’ll bring in a third party like chargepoint to look after the billing. That way it’s just an app. Swipe the phone, done. Charge away.

My bet is they don't promote them at all.

If someone does want to use the system, just charge a really high price to discourage use.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

If someone does want to use the system, just charge a really high price to discourage use.

They are already kinda promoting them. But why would they discourage use? Wouldn’t that just turn away revenue?

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

They are already kinda promoting them. But why would they discourage use? Wouldn’t that just turn away revenue?

What is with using KOA as a benchmark? I wouldn't stay there if any other choice was available as they rip you for everything now. There will be options from most campgrounds time will tell.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK AN EV HAS TO BE PLUGGED IN EVERY TIME IT STOPS?

I don't fill my tank every time I stop. I have a gauge and it tells me about how far I can go. An EV has a much more accurate gauge. If you use 50% of your battery to get to the site, maybe plugging in for a few hours or overnight to a standard outlet is all you need to get home. Maybe you don't need to plug in at all, maybe there is a quick charge 10-20 miles away, similar to a gas station. The benefit to a campground is many already have electrical service to camp sites. My trailer can go a couple days without plugging in. So, if I had an EV, maybe I plug it in overnight and live life on the boondocking edge with only my batteries...

I feel like everyone here forgets having trucks built in the 70's. Small gas tanks, poor gas mileage. Both of the 70 era trucks I had couldn't drive by a gas station without getting gas. Forget pulling a trailer, this was just the truck by itself. Add a trailer, 8-10 miles to the gallon or less and a small tank. My dually had 2 tanks, but that was special. The truck before that, same engine, but only 1 tank. Driving across state is what put all those small gas stations in little towns in business and thriving. The EV curve is the same, initially they need more ways to charge, but eventually they will have ranges similar or further than an ICE, but as I said 5 pages ago you can charge an EV at home, you can't fill up your ICE at home...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK AN EV HAS TO BE PLUGGED IN EVERY TIME IT STOPS?

I don't fill my tank every time I stop. I have a gauge and it tells me about how far I can go. An EV has a much more accurate gauge. If you use 50% of your battery to get to the site, maybe plugging in for a few hours or overnight to a standard outlet is all you need to get home. Maybe you don't need to plug in at all, maybe there is a quick charge 10-20 miles away, similar to a gas station. The benefit to a campground is many already have electrical service to camp sites. My trailer can go a couple days without plugging in. So, if I had an EV, maybe I plug it in overnight and live life on the boondocking edge with only my batteries...

I feel like everyone here forgets having trucks built in the 70's. Small gas tanks, poor gas mileage. Both of the 70 era trucks I had couldn't drive by a gas station without getting gas. Forget pulling a trailer, this was just the truck by itself. Add a trailer, 8-10 miles to the gallon or less and a small tank. My dually had 2 tanks, but that was special. The truck before that, same engine, but only 1 tank. Driving across state is what put all those small gas stations in little towns in business and thriving. The EV curve is the same, initially they need more ways to charge, but eventually they will have ranges similar or further than an ICE, but as I said 5 pages ago you can charge an EV at home, you can't fill up your ICE at home...

Yep. Nailed it.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Too funny. Going into a fully functioning facility of ant type it’s not so simple as “pulling a few wires”

Stupid question; If a CG is upgrading sites from 30 too 50 Amp, how much extra cost to also add capacity to charge EVs? Bet most have made/are making that change so I assume they have run the numbers and are betting the upcharge for site with upgraded power will pay off.
Bet that very few will be towing to CG with EV for years. OTOH, I can see a lot of EVs used as toads in the next few years.
Could CG meter power to post, charge extra for high use? AC in a tent, or charge a EV, would cause them to pay more. (Might help with lights on all night too)
Electricity costs are negligible. It the cost to upgrade the electrical infrastructure that is going to make RV parks reluctant to fully embrace EVs. I would much rather miss some potential business than come out of pocket with $50,000 or more to upgrade the electrical system when there isn’t a clear need. Nobody has a clue as to how the EV charging landscape will look ten or twenty years down the road. Maybe the charging will improve to the point the traditional fueling srations can provide charging in a time equal to current petroleum fuels. Maybe electric vehicles are the 8 track/ cassette tape/ CDs of the world and technology will quickly render them obsolete as hydrogen flying cars dominate .
As for KOA it is my understanding their foray into EV charging only goes as far as partnering with a pedestal supplier to have a charging port added to a standard pedestal and then the put a KOA logo on it. The park still has to buy it and wire it into their grid. KOA is not requiring parks to add them and likely won’t. It is much more corporate PR than some huge push for EVs.
Finally, there was a post you don’t always need to charge EVs at every opportunity. True, but if a business builds in that ability, they have to plan and build the system to work on the assumption they may all be in use at some time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge all in on electric too 500 mile range Ram
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.