RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck .. wrote:

One of the big questions to ask is can you safely stop that trailer within most normal driving cases. You have to drive like your Grandma coming up to a stop sign or light, going down hill and sharp corners or that Big Hog will push you right through a Red light intersection. or over and down a canyon. Do carry about your wife or grandkids with you???

If you are over weight and get in a accident, pulling more than the truck and trailer is designed for; the insurance company can say we will not pay you a dime. You have no coverage! Happened to my neighbors friend in Utah.

Lol, how many times will these stories be told about the friends brother in laws uncle?

Yes, a forum comprised of mostly engineers/lawyers. [emoticon]

My armchair lawyers degree says you can be over weight, plus distracted, and add intoxicated; insurance is still responsible, and will cover this accident.

Burbman states he will weigh rig camp ready. I think he will be GTG. The scaled axles will have final say.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/22 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My armchair lawyers degree says you can be over weight, plus distracted, and add intoxicated; insurance is still responsible, and will cover this accident."

100% concur !!!!!!!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/22 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I just know things can weigh MUCH more than a person thinks and suggest you should know your actual weights.

TXiceman wrote:

I am a mechanical engineer and get some really good chuckles at the internet engineers.

Would sure be helpful if you shared your extensive knowledge instead of just laughing at us.

I share plenty of information and advice across more than one website. But all too often, these internet engineers come across and tell the unsuspecting that with their 3/4-ton truck, they can safely pull a triple axle 44 ft toy hauler. All they need are air bags and they are good to go.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/22 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t forget the 19.5’s.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/22 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do your homework. Some are VERY heavy!!!!!

Sometimes “heavy” can be your friend!

Trying to get home yesterday, before the winter weather got to our home......we drove from Cheyenne to Casper on I 25 last evening. “Quite breezy”! High cross winds from the west, we passed 5 trailers on their sides (2 semis and 3 bumper pull type trailers), with winds gusting to 65+(according to the signs along the interstate)......we slowed to 50 mph and felt very stable with barely a wiggle!

The wife just read that there were a few gusts well above the 65 mark.....Bordeaux (just east of I 25 recorded a 99 mile gust). The 40’s to 60’s weren’t bad.....the 99 may have gotten ugly!

Weight is your friend....but, it also has it’s limits. Glad we didn’t get the 99! [emoticon]memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understood. My comment is more to make people realize they need plenty of truck.

Our DRV is 24k. I have towed in some crazy winds never slowing down and never feeling unsafe.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/22 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many people shy away from weight.....I was attempting to emphasize to the op that quality generally comes with additional weight.....and weight is not really a bad thing! As we both can attest to!

And as you also mentioned have plenty of truck......another good thing to have! memtb

* This post was edited 02/21/22 07:58am by an administrator/moderator *

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight is your friend but sometimes weight is not enough.

We were relatively new at the time when we lost our first Alpenlite 34RLR to a blowover west of Laramie, WY. We were loaded at the time having just shopped for at least 3 weeks worth of food & the water tank was full with 100gal onboard.

The prolonged very strong gust of wind hit us on our 'heavy' side, where the fridge is, & over she went.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Understood. My comment is more to make people realize they need plenty of truck.

Our DRV is 24k. I have towed in some crazy winds never slowing down and never feeling unsafe.

So many people shy away from weight.....I was attempting to emphasize to the op that quality generally comes with additional weight.....and weight is not really a bad thing! As we both can attest to!

And as you also mentioned have plenty of truck......another good thing to have! memtb

Generally, weight is a sign of better and heavier construction and is good. But with weight comes a bigger truck.

I get tired of the people that say they found the perfect trailer and it is a 3-axle toy hauler that only weighs 18,000 lb. dry weight. And then he adds emphatically that there is no way he can drive a long bed truck or a dually.

They need to understand that they need to ignore trailer dry weight and look at the trailer GVWR for truck selection data.

The truthful and simple solution for them is look for a smaller trailer.

Another thing to watch for is if the trailer is designated lite weight or super lite, run away from it unless you will only use it as a weekend trailer a few weekends out of the year.

I'll fold up my soapbox and return to eating my oatmeal.

Ken

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/22 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QUOTE from TXiceman:

I get tired of the people that say they found the perfect trailer and it is a 3-axle toy hauler that only weighs 18,000 lb. dry weight. And then he adds emphatically that there is no way he can drive a long bed truck or a dually.

I question the person that would make this statement! Was it lack of skills or their location ( roads/cities/parking lots designed for small autos.

Skills “should” be easily accomplished....my 12 or 13 yo daughter’s first driving experience was on a gravel road in the Wyoming mountains with a Ford F 250, long bed, manual tranny, towing a 16 ft. flatbed trailer when going to cut firewood!

That said, everyone should know their limitations! Some folks should not be trusted with a tricycle! [emoticon] memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.