RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's really easy to be at and YES over GVW on a RV. Mine is rated 21k and reality is 24k with 6k pin.

Your magical 14k at 25% pin is 3,500#. Does that still keep you at or under your RAWR when FULLY loaded?

* This post was edited 02/17/22 04:43pm by an administrator/moderator *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jusfloors

Elbert Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the one that doesn't bust the budget and layout, length that let's you do and go where you want. Most manufacturers plat forms and walls ,roofs are similar. if you're budget is high than you can add more stuff to the rig. Each year manufacturers add the latest based on the budget scale. In every RV park you will see $50 to $1,000,000 in different RV's. Each one experiences the same reason most go rving. To see new places and meet new people, warmer weather.

Chuck ..

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the big questions to ask is can you safely stop that trailer within most normal driving cases. You have to drive like your Grandma coming up to a stop sign or light, going down hill and sharp corners or that Big Hog will push you right through a Red light intersection. or over and down a canyon. Do carry about your wife or grandkids with you???

If you are over weight and get in a accident, pulling more than the truck and trailer is designed for; the insurance company can say we will not pay you a dime. You have no coverage! Happened to my neighbors friend in Utah.

Chuck

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please provide proof of this non payment.

* This post was edited 02/17/22 04:43pm by an administrator/moderator *

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Your magical 14k at 25% pin is 3,500#. Does that still keep you at or under your RAWR when FULLY loaded?

[image]

From Ram:

GVWR 12,300
Max Load 4,480 (the yellow sticker already kicks this down to 4292 due to the Laramie bells/whistles)
RAWR 7,000
Base weight-Rear is 2,970 so add 3,500 for 6,470
Max trailer 17,010 (not sure what that extra 10 lbs does LOL)
GCWR 25,300

So fully loaded at 14k will put me 1k over GCWR but under on everything else, I would be surprised if we load that trailer past 13k with just the two of us.

Also assuming I don't go nuts loading stuff into the basement. I also don't know where the fresh water tank is relative to the axles, the closer to the axles the less effect on pin weight, and if behind the axles will actually reduce pin weight. There's also lots of storage in the front bedroom too, so we have to watch that.

I'm pretty confident the numbers will be OK, but you don't know anything until you hit the scale because it depends on how you load the trailer and how close the brochure empty weights are to reality. I'll post the scale ticket when I get it packed up and take the first trip.

Chuck: The trailer brakes stop the trailer, having six wheels on the truck doesn't get you 6 brakes....duallies and SRWs have the same brakes.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly advise you weigh your truck with hitch, fuel people, tool box etc.

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, that's why I want to wait and weigh it on our first camping trip, not on the way home from the dealer. I usually travel with full fresh water too.

I should mention that in our previous TT we had 1600# of stuff based on scale weights. If this 5er is in fact 10,700 dry, add our 1,600 lbs of stuff and other 560 lbs for 70 gals or water, propane, etc., you're right around 13,000 lbs.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but don't share your skepticism that I'll be overweight. At the same time I'm not trying to prove anything either, I'll post the real weight slip....and I'll bet you a Costco dog that I'll be within my limits all around. I'm not really a betting man, but at the same time never say no to a Costco dog...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I'm not disagreeing with you, but don't share your skepticism that I'll be overweight"

Not sure how you can think I am being skeptical and think you will be overweight. I just know things can weigh MUCH more than a person thinks and suggest you should know your actual weights.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often wonder how many of these experts on braking, tires and stopping have any actual engineering experience. I am a mechanical engineer and get some really good chuckles at the internet engineers.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/22 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I just know things can weigh MUCH more than a person thinks and suggest you should know your actual weights.

Yes, 20+ years towing a TT has taught me that. For the 3rd time, when I get the trailer and load it up, I will take it to a scale. Not sure how else to "know my actual weights" in advance of that.

TXiceman wrote:

I am a mechanical engineer and get some really good chuckles at the internet engineers.

Would sure be helpful if you shared your extensive knowledge instead of just laughing at us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for older High Quality Luxury 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.